• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mouth Ulcers and Pus

It sounds like she is moving in the right direction eating grass and being in better spirits.
My dental bunny is a dwarf which made him more prone to dental issues.

A Lily update...we decided to proceed with a CT scan, because she has been in good spirits, but still unable to eat hay. We need to get to the bottom of it and understand what our options are.

We drove 2 hours to our exotic vets for the scan. A bit of a wildcard was that the vet inspected her before the CT, and found two matching abscesses on her elbows..one on each! She is well bonded with her sister, they never fight, the elbows obviously aren't in contact with the ground like hocks are...I can't think what could have caused it. He said it could be linked to whatever is going on in her mouth/with her teeth somehow. Hopefully the CT will give the answers.

Has anyone heard of similar before? I'm struggling to stay positive...I'm so scared that this will all be for nothing and whatever is going on with Lily will be too bad to 'fix' :(

Poor Lily. I have known of cases of Pasteurellosis present with spontaneous abscesses as the main symptom. The Rabbit has often had a history of respiratory tract infections (‘snuffles’) during there lifetime

‘’ If the rabbit is suffering from a severe form of the bacterium, then they may also go on to develop other problems. Some rabbits have developed abscesses, which may be evident almost anywhere on the body; they will appear as swelling and if they are discharging, they will have a foul smell and be moist, making the fur matted. Some rabbits may be totally unaffected by them, for other they may be painful. Other rabbits may develop problems such as osteomyelitis (infection in the bone), meningitis (inflammation of part of the brain) or myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle)’’

Full text:

https://forestvets.co.uk/wp-content...rial disease,group of upper respiratory signs.

Sending lots of vibes for her

Back