• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cupcake's not eating :(

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Think it might be to do with her crazy moult and the fact that I treated her for mites yesterday. She's not interested in treats/pellets but has eaten two dandelion leaves just now and is really fighting me when I pick her up, so that's good. She has also been pooping normal sized/fairly golden poops so I think she's obviously eaten hay today. I've brought her inside to keep an eye on her, I think she's tummy pressing but whenever she comes inside she ALWAYS flops out, so it's hard to tell. She did have a run around for two minutes or so when I first brought her in.

No way of getting to the vets tonight, and couldn't afford the emergency fees even if I did :( Going to take her first thing in the morning if there's no improvement. Just gave her a belly rub which she seemed to like, didn't feel anything out of the ordinary and didn't hear anything except a tiny bit of gurgling. She's not teeth grinding either.

Her tummy just gurgled a bit, she did a poo (looks totally normal other than being not as golden as usual) and flopped straight back out. She's changing position quite a lot so I do think she has tummy ache.

ETA Just did another poo and a definite happy flop, then looked uncomfortable again. Gah I just want to get her to the vets now but I can't :cry:

Thanks, she seems alert in herself and isn't moving around into different positions as much now, she looks alright. Gonna get her a litter tray with some hay in.

Poor lamb - something I do if I cant get to the vets AND THIS IS NOT MEDICALLY PROVEN JUST SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME .

I noticed on one occasion on returning from the vets -(before any meds had been given)that Berry and Tillie would then start eating. I wondered if it was the stress of going to the vets had made their guts churn and start working again. I mentioned this to the vets next time who said 'no proof, but it could have in a simiar way to how we may feel the urge to use the bathroom if we are anxious' :oops:

The next time Berry had a 'not quite right turn' it was typically a weekend so I put him in the car and drove him around for 10 minutes - it worked again, As soon as we got back he started eating a little. I have done it probably 6 or 7 times and each time it has worked. There have been occasions when it hasnt and I would never say do it instead of the vets but on those bank hoiday occasions when you cant get to the vets it may be worth a try.

I understand that effectiviely I am saying 'stress them out' which may sound harsh I adore my rabbits and would never scare them or make them anxious for no reason but going to the vets stresses them out and if it helps solve a more serious problem than I believe it is worth it! Loads of talking to them in the car and love when they get back of course.

As I say it may not work for everyone and is certainly no substitute for a vet but it may be worth a go if you are very anxious.

Hope your baby picks up xx

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice BerryJane :) thankfully cuppy is much brighter now, she's grooming herself and has even been running around my room for the last few minutes. I've laid out a buffet of her favourite noms, hopefully she'll have a nibble on something soon. She's perked up so much, here's hoping she was just a bit gassy and it's passed now!

She started nomming hay, then pellets, then banana so seemed to be feeling much better :) she was running around and binkying loads, and then jumped up onto my chest of drawers which is a bit dangerous, so I've popped her back outside with lots of noms and a snuggle safe :)

Yay! Good news :D

So glad to hear that she is feeling better. Its so worrying when they are off colour.

Back