• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UTI?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I have an 11 month old unspayed female, I've noticed a few drops of blood around the shed and her urine is very dark orange/brown. I'm not too worried about her wee but the blood is worrying me a bit, there's not a lot but there's also no injuries on her so I was thinking maybe a UTI? I'm going to get her booked in at the vets but any thoughts would be great. I've had her for 3 weeks, she's on the same pellet as she was on in her old home, I will be getting her spayed asap but I wanted to let her settle in first, she's vaccinated. The only thing I can think that's different is she's been out on the grass, she never went on grass at her old home

Are you 100% certain it’s blood and 100% certain it’s coming from her vagina ?
is there any chance she could be pregnant ?

I'm fairly certain it's blood (I took some photos to show the vet but I'm out of the loop and I'm not sure how to upload on here) and I can't see any marks or injuries on her at all, I got my partner to check too just as another pair of eyes and he couldn't see anything either. She's only been with my neutered male when she's been here and he was neutered many many years ago so definitely no risk there, she's been here for 19 days. The previous owner told me she had a litter but she wasn't a very good mum and none of the babies survived, I've just looked back through our messages and I don't know when that litter was born.

I took her to the vets nearly 2 weeks ago just as a general check up and they didn't spot anything out of the ordinary then, but I didn't notice any blood at the time, this has only been on and off in the last few days (we originally assumed she'd caught her nail as she's done this a few times but we've now realized thats not the case)

I'm fairly certain it's blood (I took some photos to show the vet but I'm out of the loop and I'm not sure how to upload on here) and I can't see any marks or injuries on her at all, I got my partner to check too just as another pair of eyes and he couldn't see anything either. She's only been with my neutered male when she's been here and he was neutered many many years ago so definitely no risk there, she's been here for 19 days. The previous owner told me she had a litter but she wasn't a very good mum and none of the babies survived, I've just looked back through our messages and I don't know when that litter was born.

I took her to the vets nearly 2 weeks ago just as a general check up and they didn't spot anything out of the ordinary then, but I didn't notice any blood at the time, this has only been on and off in the last few days (we originally assumed she'd caught her nail as she's done this a few times but we've now realized thats not the case)

She might be pregnant and about to kindle or she might be miscarrying. I would not believe anything a seller tells you unless they are a personal friend. It’s near on impossible to palpate a pregnancy in its very early stages, which if she is/was pregnant when the Vet saw her would have been the case.

A UTI is a possibility

Could your other Rabbit have nipped her if she head humped him ? That’s another possibility.

She definitely needs to see a Vet.

I agree she needs to see a vet asap.
If she is pregnant, she may be unable to deliver and have a stuck baby.
Blood can also come from her bladder if she has a bladder stone.
How certain are you that she is 11 months old?
Sending positive vibes.

Back