• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please - poorly baby bun

badger

Young Bun
Hi, me again

I wonder if anyone can help please??

One of the babies from the second litter of babies we had is all skin and bone. I took all 6 of them to the vets this morning to be sexed, they are 7 weeks today, and they weighed them all and this one is 150g lighter than the next smallest.

They told me to keep him separated from all the other rabbits to make sure he is fed etc, the mum and 6 babies are in the hutch and have 3 bowls which always have food in, they are fed on Burgess Junior Excel. So there is no reason why he wouldnt be able to get at the food even if he waited till the others had finished.

They go out in the run all day along with the other rabbits (they all get on very well) and go back in the hutch at night.

He is currently in the carrier with a bowl of food and a piece of dark green veg, he is chewing on the veg ok at the moment.

Can anyone offer any advice???

Thanks in advance.

Hi, me again

I wonder if anyone can help please??

One of the babies from the second litter of babies we had is all skin and bone. I took all 6 of them to the vets this morning to be sexed, they are 7 weeks today, and they weighed them all and this one is 150g lighter than the next smallest.

They told me to keep him separated from all the other rabbits to make sure he is fed etc, the mum and 6 babies are in the hutch and have 3 bowls which always have food in, they are fed on Burgess Junior Excel. So there is no reason why he wouldnt be able to get at the food even if he waited till the others had finished.

They go out in the run all day along with the other rabbits (they all get on very well) and go back in the hutch at night.

He is currently in the carrier with a bowl of food and a piece of dark green veg, he is chewing on the veg ok at the moment.

Can anyone offer any advice???

Thanks in advance.

Have the babies been wormed?
When you say that they 'all go out in the run with the other Rabbits' do you mean all in one run together? This is not a good idea with 7 week old kits whose gut bacteria is not fully established and GI upsets are likely to occur and be passed on if you are mixing litters.

Is the runt kit eating anything other than greens ? Has the Vet checked his/her teeth ?

What are the poos of the runt Kit like?

Janex

Hi, thanks for your answer.

No, they have not been wormed.

They have been out in the run with the first litter who are 11 weeks old and there are 3 of them, although not every day. Mum and the other 5 babies are in the run today. Dad will be allowed soon as he was neutered 4 weeks ago.

They dont have much greens, only their food mainly, although on occasion they will nibble on some of their mums.

The nurses found it difficult to sex them so they had a vet look at them to sex them too, and the vet looked over this bun and advised us to keep it separate to try and feed it up.

I will have to inspect some poos closely but there is no diarea in the hutch whatsoever, they are all "normal" looking poos to me, round etc. Apart from the grape looking ones too. I empty the hutch/litter tray every day so would have noticed if there was something untoward.

What would you suggest?

We currently have a large upstairs/downstairs hutch which dad is downstairs and mum and babies upstairs. The 3 babies of the first litter are in an indoor hutch borrowed from a neighbour and live in our utility room, and I have 2 ducklings in our indoor hutch. I dont know where to put him, the carrier is only small, but I assume he should go with any other buns whatsoever????

Hi, thanks for your answer.

No, they have not been wormed.

They have been out in the run with the first litter who are 11 weeks old and there are 3 of them, although not every day. Mum and the other 5 babies are in the run today. Dad will be allowed soon as he was neutered 4 weeks ago.

They dont have much greens, only their food mainly, although on occasion they will nibble on some of their mums.

The nurses found it difficult to sex them so they had a vet look at them to sex them too, and the vet looked over this bun and advised us to keep it separate to try and feed it up.

I will have to inspect some poos closely but there is no diarea in the hutch whatsoever, they are all "normal" looking poos to me, round etc. Apart from the grape looking ones too. I empty the hutch/litter tray every day so would have noticed if there was something untoward.

What would you suggest?

We currently have a large upstairs/downstairs hutch which dad is downstairs and mum and babies upstairs. The 3 babies of the first litter are in an indoor hutch borrowed from a neighbour and live in our utility room, and I have 2 ducklings in our indoor hutch. I dont know where to put him, the carrier is only small, but I assume he should go with any other buns whatsoever????

I think your Vet was correct to advise you keep the runt seperate. Not only will it mean he gets guaranteed access to food you can monitor exactly what goes in and what comes out. I'd provide him with a small soft toy to snuggle with aswell as giving him as much of your attention as possible.
Alternatively you could remove all the other Kits and leave him with his Mum. This might actually be a better option, especially if she is stil lactating.

I am assuming that the Buns all have access to lots of hay 24/7 ?

I would discuss the worming with your Vet

Janex :)

Hi, thanks.

I will discuss the worming when I go back next week with the puppy.

Yes, they all have lots of hay everywhere, we dont have straw or sawdust anywhere, only hay, and this is topped up daily and as needed.

I can take out the others and put him back in the hutch with mum, I havent seen any of them feed off her for a while but her nipples (is that the right word for a bun?) are still quite big as though she is feeding - if you see what I mean. When some of them have tried to feed off her she just runs off and is not interested at all, although I dont know what happens overnight obviously.

So shall I take the other 5 babies from mum and put this 1 bun and mum together then, the other 5 babies should be ok from mum now shouldnt they, they are 7 weeks. Due to the circumstances we were in the 1st litter had to come out at 4 weeks unfortunately, although they are all thriving and fine.

Back