• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut stasis surgery advice help

I can’t answer your question. but I want to send some gentle nose rubs for your gorgeous bunny boy xx

Sorry, its me again. Bubo is pooping well and it's been quite sticky.. But now they're really quite runny. It's hard to pick them up. Is this normal or a sign things aren't right?

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Is he also making normal poo, or just the runny poo? Is he eating hay, or just greens? Is his tummy very noisy/bubbly? Does he get syringe feeds for fiber? I always contact vet for runny poo. Vet may want to administer fluids, cut back on type/quantity of greens or adjust medication, give pain meds.
Sending vibes.

Sorry, its me again. Bubo is pooping well and it's been quite sticky.. But now they're really quite runny. It's hard to pick them up. Is this normal or a sign things aren't right?

It is often the case that fecal output will be abnormal for a few days after a blockage passes. If he is eating and fine within himself and not passing copious amounts of true diarrhoea then monitor him carefully overnight and if he’s still passing very runny poo tomorrow morning give the Vet a call for advice. Make sure his bum is kept clean. Being soiled will increase his risk of flystrike.

Poo pictures

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Is he also making normal poo, or just the runny poo? Is he eating hay, or just greens? Is his tummy very noisy/bubbly? Does he get syringe feeds for fiber? I always contact vet for runny poo. Vet may want to administer fluids, cut back on type/quantity of greens or adjust medication, give pain meds.
Sending vibes.
It's not fully normal, still quite sticky and then kind of formed but runny. It's not true Diarrhoea. I don't think he's eating masses of greens.. He's picking at everything. He's a bit preoccupied with trying to go back in the enclosure [emoji20]. He's got some alfalfa hay (as well as the usual) which is tempting him. I wish he'd settle a bit more. He's not had any syringe feeds as he's been eating and seems stressed when I pick him up (he had gut motility drugs). Do you think I should give some critical care?

It is often the case that fecal output will be abnormal for a few days after a blockage passes. If he is eating and fine within himself and not passing copious amounts of true diarrhoea then monitor him carefully overnight and if he’s still passing very runny poo tomorrow morning give the Vet a call for advice. Make sure his bum is kept clean. Being soiled will increase his risk of flystrike.

Poo pictures

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm
Thank you. We did a bum check earlier and he's all OK. He had a little time out on the grass but I don't think he ate a great deal of it. He's eating but I haven't seen him have any nuggets yet. I'll definitely call the vet if it turns to diarrhoea.

I would ask vet for metacam for pain and inflammation if he is nibbling food and not eating much hay. Motility meds can sometimes cause discomfort, though they are important to keep his gut moving. Syringe feeds would probably help if they would not stress him too much.
I suggest you follow up with his vet.

Thank you. We did a bum check earlier and he's all OK. He had a little time out on the grass but I don't think he ate a great deal of it. He's eating but I haven't seen him have any nuggets yet. I'll definitely call the vet if it turns to diarrhoea.

Nuggets are usually the last thing a Rabbit who has had a blockage will want to eat. Hay and grass are the most important thing at this stage, as well as a good water intake. I am assuming that you were given a non steroidal analgesic such as Metacam and prokinetic drugs eg metoclopromide and cisapride to continue to administer on a regular basis?

You might find that giving him some Fibreplex helps

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp...ements-c-649_418/fibreplex-for-rabbits-p-1180

Also, Profibre Pellets

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp...18/protexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-p-1178

How is your boy today? x
Ah I'm so sorry for the late reply. I swear I checked and there were no new posts [emoji848].

He's doing really well! Getting back to his feisty self [emoji23]. His poos are almost normal and he's eating a variety of foods. I bought a new hay selection (from the hay hutch on ebay if I can say that) & he's loving that. All I hope and pray for now is that he will re-bond with my girl [emoji45].
a1d0c536f00771359b0f93607d44a566.jpg

Last edited:
I would ask vet for metacam for pain and inflammation if he is nibbling food and not eating much hay. Motility meds can sometimes cause discomfort, though they are important to keep his gut moving. Syringe feeds would probably help if they would not stress him too much.
I suggest you follow up with his vet.
Hi bunny momma. Unfortunately he's not a big hay eater. I've tried all sorts (& trying about 5 more now). I heard you could spray hay with apple juice but I'm not sure about the sugar [emoji848]. He's eating well in general now.

He's going for a vet check up next week [emoji4].

Nuggets are usually the last thing a Rabbit who has had a blockage will want to eat. Hay and grass are the most important thing at this stage, as well as a good water intake. I am assuming that you were given a non steroidal analgesic such as Metacam and prokinetic drugs eg metoclopromide and cisapride to continue to administer on a regular basis?

You might find that giving him some Fibreplex helps

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp...ements-c-649_418/fibreplex-for-rabbits-p-1180

Also, Profibre Pellets

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supp...18/protexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-p-1178
Ah thanks so much for the links. I'm sure I was aware of those products but when it's your own bun, your mind goes blank & you don't seem to think properly. A bit annoyed at myself. I wish they'd suggested that at the vets.

I was surprised he hadn't touched the nuggets as that was his go to 'junk' food (not that they have very many) but that makes sense now.

They gave me no metacam to take home at the vets but he did have cisapride.

Pain meds can make a huge difference to a bun who isn't eating properly. I would expect to be sent home with at least a week's worth of pain and gut meds after a diagnosis of stasis. It's not worth risking a relapse by not giving them - and your bunny has certainly been through the extreme end of stasis.

I was so happy to read your bunny is doing well. I would call vet to have metacam or other pain meds until he is back to eating normally. Hiding can be an indication bunny is not feeling well too. From my years of experience, bunnies in pain will not eat, and since eating is essential for gut motility, it can lead to GI stasis or make GI stasis worse. Metacam is also good for inflammation and I suspect there would be inflammation in his GI tract if he had anything, including fur or hard fecal matter, stuck.
Dental issues can also result in bunnies not wanting to eat hay since it requires a different chewing action than is required by eating pellets. So, if it was not already done, his teeth need to be checked for any spurs or points that may be irritating his mouth.
Other possible causes of stasis were already reviewed: not drinking enough water (some people will wet the greens they give their bunnies), gas pain (always introduce new greens/foods slowly and monitor bunny), bacterial imbalance (which can be exacerbated in some bunnies by too many treats/foods with higher glycemic index), viral infection, eating foreign materials, and other medical conditions.
You probably already read a lot about this in prior links, yet I just want to remind you of things that I have learned in my many years of experiences-not all that ended with a happy bunny coming home.
You did a wonderful job getting your bunny prompt treatment and making sure he got the chance to be treated medically in spite of the initial prognosis.

Back