• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis advice please

We are beyond devastated, our little Sweep passed away this morning 😥 he went back for his check up, and his blood sugar was 21.4. They found out he had a liver distortion so went to operate, and his heart stopped. They now think that this was the issue all along to cause the gut stasis. We cannot believe it.

We are beyond devastated, our little Sweep passed away this morning 😥 he went back for his check up, and his blood sugar was 21.4. They found out he had a liver distortion so went to operate, and his heart stopped. They now think that this was the issue all along to cause the gut stasis. We cannot believe it.
So very sorry. Liver lobe torsions are awful ☹️

RIP Sweep 💔💔

We just can’t understand how this could have happened? Apparently his blood sugar was 22, and they wanted to do surgery, but his heart stopped before they could do anything. Why would this happen?

We just can’t understand how this could have happened? Apparently his blood sugar was 22, and they wanted to do surgery, but his heart stopped before they could do anything. Why would this happen?
if it happened prior to them administering any sedation it could have been due to systemic shock, he was just too unwell for his heart and blood circulation to cope. If he had a liver lobe torsion there would have been a lot of internal bleeding, contributing to him going into systemic shock. If it happened just after he was sedated he could have had an adverse reaction to the drugs used, or his system could not cope with the effects of sedation as he was already gravely unwell.

i dont know if understanding what a liver lobe torsion is would be of any help for you to start to process the tragic events, but there is some information about the very serious condition on the following two links.Don’t read them if it will just make you feel more upset. Some people want as much information as possible when they experience a tragic loss, others would rather not know. There is no right or wrong way to be, we all process this type of awful loss in our own way

This is a basic ‘lay person’s’ description

This is more clinical and *CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES*

So sorry. RIP Sweep.

Remember that you couldn't have done more for him and that he was in a comfortable place when he passed. Be gentle on yourselves.

I am so sorry you lost Sweep. I feel your pain. In 2020 I lost a five year old bunny to a suspected liver torsion that suddenly caused internal bleeding after several days of up and down stasis. She survived the sedation for a dental and recovered well the day before she passed. Other conditions are more common causes of gi stasis.
You did everything you could for Sweep.

Thank you 😥 sorry to hear that your little bunny passed away from the same thing. I just feel so heartbroken and know it’s going to be a hard road ahead. I feel devastated, confused and angry.

Thank you 😥 sorry to hear that your little bunny passed away from the same thing. I just feel so heartbroken and know it’s going to be a hard road ahead. I feel devastated, confused and angry.
Thank you for your kind comment about my loss. I feel sad I did not mention the possibility, however small, that stasis can be caused by a liver torsion.
You have a right to all those feelings and more. Some bunnies never really leave us. We carry them in our hearts. Though I hope in time your memories of happier times with Sweep will overshadow the memories of his loss.
You were caught off-guard because Sweep did not have high glucose levels and his x-ray looked good when he was sent home after his initial vet visit; so there was no indication that more extensive tests and/or surgery were needed.
Sending you gentle hugs.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel awful for you as you did absolutely everything you could to get Sweep well again and I think there was hope that he was starting to get better. It just makes what happened all the more devastating.

Sleep tight little Sweep xx

I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel awful for you as you did absolutely everything you could to get Sweep well again and I think there was hope that he was starting to get better. It just makes what happened all the more devastating.

Sleep tight little Sweep xx
That’s exactly right, we had no idea when we took him yesterday that he wouldn’t be here today. It was only when she saw that his blood sugar was 21.4 that she panicked and realised there was a bigger issue. Today has been so hard and I’m left wondering how I will be able to be ok again.

Thank you. To be honest, I’m really struggling, and things are not getting better. I just cry all the time, and he is all I can think about 😥 x

Back