• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes U/D 1/6 Wilson - enjoying time with Alice in the sunshine

You can get Stemetil in liquid form :)

I have just read on a Vet site that abx coverage for 'Rolling Rabbits' needs to cover gram positive, gram negative and anaerobic bacteria. Here is an extract from the article

It is assumed in many cases that a bacterial infection in the middle or inner ear or of CN 8 is responsible for this disorder. Therefore, coverage with antibiotics is warranted. It is best to use broad spectrum coverage: antibiotics that are effective against gram positives, gram negatives, and anaerobes. A combination such as injectable penicillin and a quinolone has much merit. So does the use of a trimethoprin sulfa antibiotic along with metronidazole. The use of antihistamines, such as meclizine, has been advocated. It is not known if this is effective in rabbits with this disorder but side effects appear to be minimal. Finally, it may be necessary to use ophthalmic medication. If there is corneal disruption, medication will be needed to treat that wound. Even if the cornea is intact, usually, these rabbits are left with a head tilt and it may be important to keep that eye moist.

So maybe using Baytril ASWELL as Depocillin .... :?

Or changing over to Septrin and Metronidazole :?

Thanks Jane that is really helpful, I will try to get some stemitil in liquid form - I didn't realise that it wasn't just tablets.

I'm also going to talk to our vet about having a mixuture of injections available to use as the article extract talks about. I just hope we get there eventually with him. :cry:

Thanks for your hugs & vibes Davina - we're keeping going, but goodness I wish things would start to improve soon for both Wilson & Ollie :cry:

Thanks Jane that is really helpful, I will try to get some stemitil in liquid form - I didn't realise that it wasn't just tablets.

I'm also going to talk to our vet about having a mixuture of injections available to use as the article extract talks about. I just hope we get there eventually with him. :cry:

Thanks for your hugs & vibes Davina - we're keeping going, but goodness I wish things would start to improve soon for both Wilson & Ollie :cry:

It is sooooooooooooo stressful when several Buns are poorly at the same time :cry:
Just keep 'talking' with us lot as it helps you cope :)

It is sooooooooooooo stressful when several Buns are poorly at the same time :cry:
Just keep 'talking' with us lot as it helps you cope :)

Thanks Jane I will - I don't what I would have done over this last week without you guys on RU - I think I'd have cracked up :cry:

I know as we both know too well sadly this week - surely things have got to start looking up soon for us all haven't they?

Whem Hope Was On Steroids It Was Tablet Form .. I Crushed It Up And Mixed It With A Little Baby Food And Syringed It .. ..i Guess Any Tablet Could Be Given Like This ..

Denise, so sorry to hear about Wilson. I suffer from inner ear problems and had one terrible episode of labyrinthitis, everything spinning, and stemetil really helped me. I know I'm not a rabbit but if it works with people to help stop the movement and nausea, there's got to be a good chance it'll help bunnies too!

I really feel for Wilson because it was :censored:ing awful when I was first ill, extremely frightening and upsetting and I have to say, if the o/h had the option of having me pts I may have gone for it during those first few horrendous days. BUT it does pass, and even though I have ongoing balance problems (maybe I'm the human equivalent of a headtilt bun:lol:) you do learn to cope and manage, and hopefully it's the same for bunnies with similarly affected balance systems that it's possible to enjoy life again once the worst bit has passed.

Loads of vibes for Wilson and Ollie.

Awww, Denise, it must be horrible to see poor Wilson like that. :( It sounds as though you have some new meds to suggest that will hopefully see an improvement in your little man. It must be so hard to know what to do for the best. Hugs. xxx

Thanks everyone for your support throughout this week, it's been a godsend & I really appreciate it.

I've been to the vets with Ollie to have his wound checked & for him to have another set of injections, bless him he looks so fed up confined to his cage but I know it has to be done :cry: At the moment he seems really off his food at the moment, apart from eating a few dandelions, hay & a piece of carrot. He's not managed any normal poos yet, but we've had some very soft, sloppy poo - not what I'd hoped we'd have by now. I've also got fibreplex for him to help with his guts, alongside the metaclopromide injection he had. I've got to take him back tomorrow for another check up & hopefully they might be able to remove his drain - so we'll see.

Wilson bless him now has another penicillin injection to see him through the weekend, but I can't give him his next one until Sunday - as there are 3 days apart. He's also got steroid injections to be given every other day & they want me to give baytril again. Mark went to the chemist to get me some stemitil this morning, but they wouldn't sell it to him - as they said it was prescription only :?

Does anybody know if this is correct or not? Or is it our chemist being awkward?

He has been munching away at his pellets & dandelions, which again I'm seeing as positive - but he has had another couple of rolling episodes again today :cry: I'm taking him in tomorrow morning if needs be when Ollie goes to the vets - which seeing as it's bank holiday - I will probably take him, but I know it will stress him & probably cause more rolling episodes - which I wanted to avoid if possible :cry:

I just hope both of them make some more positive progress overnight.

Stemetil is definitely prescription only, although there are non-prescription meds that help with balance problems. Off the top of my head, I think 'joy ride' travel sickness pills are recommended. Balance organs are responsible for travel sickness in the same way that they affect dizziness from inner ear problems, so at a high enough dose travel sickness pills can help.

ETA: not sure if that really helps though, as I don't know if they'd be safe for bunnies.

More vibes for the buns.

I take Stemetil in the form of Buccastem tablets (to treat vomiting) and I have to get prescriptions for them from my GP.

Just to to let you know we are thinking of you, Wilson & Ollie:).
Give them loads of nose rubs from me

Thanks everyone for you vibes & support - you really are a godsend & are keeping us going here.

Ollie bless him is a lot better this morning & has poo'd for England thank god! He's had his drain out at the vets & they just want to check him over on Tuesday. They want me to put a new born baby grow on him to stop him from chewing his stitches - so just going to pop out in a bit to get one :roll: Can't imagine what he's going to do when I've put it on him :roll:

However, Wilson is still not good at all. I've now decided it would be better to confine him to a cage rather than a pen in their room. I've left Alice with him their room, but put Wilson in the cae on his own. Every time he has had a rolling episode it's really upset her & she's now frightened of him :cry: I've padded it out for him with a light tog quilt to stop him from hurting himself. He is still rolling about a lot & seems really stressed by it He's eaten again this morning, which I know is good - but I don't know if I'm being cruel keeping him going :cry:

It's so hard because I just don't know what to do for the best - he hasn't made any improvement since Monday & if anything the number of rolling episodes he has, has increased a lot :cry: I just wish he could tell me what he wants me to do :cry: I'm going to take him to the vets on Tuesday & see where we go from here, I obviously don't want to give up on him too soon, but neither do I want our little lad to suffer unnecessarily :cry:

I'm doing ok Jane I think thanks, just dreading having to leave Wilson next week when I go back to work :cry:

On a positive note - Arthur has had his stitches removed this morning & is doing fine :) At least something is going right this week!

Back