Wise Old Thumper
How did his check up go yesterday ? I think you said he was due to be seen again then.
Please Note - Medical Advice
Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.
You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.
We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.
Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.
He has got worse so the eye has to come out. It's actually a lot worse unfortunately so even the stronger antibiotics didn't touch it. The results of the swab didn't come back with any obvious bacterial infection so I decided to bite the bullet and not prolong things.How did his check up go yesterday ? I think you said he was due to be seen again then.
He has got worse so the eye has to come out. It's actually a lot worse unfortunately so even the stronger antibiotics didn't touch it. The results of the swab didn't come back with any obvious bacterial infection so I decided to bite the bullet and not prolong things.
I am a bit worried about recovery and how I'll keep him from messing with it. I'm guessing he will have to be kept apart from Lilac to make sure she doesn't mess with it either.
Thanks for this Jane, I actually looked it up last night as I was wondering what he'd look like so I'm sort of aware of what to expect, although it'll still be a bit of a shock to see him post-surgery.Oh, I am sorry
I didn’t have to keep Mr Bean separated from Aisling and he didn’t mess with his surgical wound at all. To be honest I think he was so relieved that the very painful diseased eye was out.
I can try to find the pics of Mr B immediately after his surgery if you think it’d help you prepare for what Rupert is likely to look like initially. I won’t post them if they might upset you though.
I think you have made the right decision getting his eye removed. One thing to add. Please make 100% certain that the Vet will NOT insert an antibiotic bead called ANTIROBE into the empty socket after the eye is removed. The abx in antirobe is highly toxic to Rabbits if it’s ingested. Anything put in the eye will get to the GI tract. Sadly Liz47 on here lost one of her beloved Bunnies due to a negligent Vet using Antirobe
I would specifically ask the Vet about if this would ever be consider and if the Vet said yes I am afraid I would have to take Rupert elsewhere for surgery. I would certainly not sign a consent form for the op’ to go ahead if the Vet dismissed my concerns.
That's good to hear re not having to keep them apart. I will ask tomorrow to be on the safe side.I'm sorry the meds didn't help . Vibes that the op & recovery go smoothly. Would you like to see a photo of Noodles eye post surgery? I also didn't have to keep my buns apart
Oh yes I've dealt with one of those before, I always think these things probably look way worse to us than they feel to the bunnies!No worries, I get that. I was dreading it but it was actually less gory than her jaw abscess.
sending more well wishes
He's eaten a little porridge and a little critical care. I've massaged his belly too as that usually helps when he has a bit of stasis. Just hoping he gradually eats more.aww that is so frustrating that it couldn't go ahead (although I understand why, I've had a buns surgery put back a day for the same reason). I hope he's more chilled now & hope too he'll eat a little more. All paws crossed they'll be able to operate tomorrow