• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rebuilding a fickle bond

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Jack and Honey were a bonded pair, their original bond was extremely difficult with it being three-four months before we were totally happy with them. Their bond has always been very fickle but was managed due to us never being in a position where they had to be split. Jack is around 3 year old, Honey is at least 8 year old and both are neutered.

Jack became unwell with stasis on Saturday and had to be rushed into the vet. By the time we got there he was in shock, his temperature had plummeted and we were told there was a good chance he wouldn't make it. He had to be placed in an incubator away from Honey and although the vets had the pair of them in a pen side by side afterwards this has been enough to badly effect their bond.

We got them home on Wednesday, Jack was refusing to eat at the vet even though he was taking syringe feeds well and everything was moving through his gut as it should. The vet suspected he was refusing to eat due to the stress of being on the ward and that he might pick up when he got home. We were told to take him home but if he didn't eat within 12 hours we were to bring him straight back. He began eating straight away thankfully but despite riding home in the same carrier as him Honey decided she no longer liked Jack after around 15mins of being home. They were out in the garden and suddenly started circling, although they squabbled we were able to split them quickly. I was working all of yesterday so today has been the first opportunity I've had to go across and sit with them. Honey has always reacted extremely badly to being split from her partner and has always "fallen out" with any other rabbit she's been split from and reintroduced to.

I've been with them today, we placed them in a neutral hut with some hay and a water bowl. He was terrified at first and we had to restrain Honey to stop her chasing him. After a few hours they settled a lot and both were milling about eating hay. Honey does the odd chase but there's not really been much more than that for the last few hours. They were placed in the hut at around 13:30 and have both shared some herbs we put in for their supper.

I'm not sure what we should do at night? I can't really recall what we did with them to bond them originally. My mum has suggested splitting the hut with mesh so they're still within sight and smell of each other but obviously can't get to each other. It's either this or I stay up and watch them all night in the hut (they can't come indoors atm due to building work happening at my mum and dads house).

What do folks suggest?

Last edited:
Jack and Honey were a bonded pair, their original bond was extremely difficult with it being three-four months before we were totally happy with them. Their bond has always been very fickle but was managed due to us never being in a position where they had to be split. Jack is around 3 year old, Honey is at least 8 year old and both are neutered.

Jack became unwell with stasis on Saturday and had to be rushed into the vet. By the time we got there he was in shock, his temperature had plummeted and we were told there was a good chance he wouldn't make it. He had to be placed in an incubator away from Honey and although the vets had the pair of them in a pen side by side afterwards this has been enough to badly effect their bond.

We got them home on Wednesday, Jack was refusing to eat at the vet even though he was taking syringe feeds well and everything was moving through his gut as it should. The vet suspected he was refusing to eat due to the stress of being on the ward and that he might pick up when he got home. We were told to take him home but if he didn't eat within 12 hours we were to bring him straight back. He began eating straight away thankfully but despite riding home in the same carrier as him Honey decided she no longer liked Jack after around 15mins of being home. They were out in the garden and suddenly started circling, although they squabbled we were able to split them quickly. I was working all of yesterday so today has been the first opportunity I've had to go across and sit with them. Honey has always reacted extremely badly to being split from her partner and has always "fallen out" with any other rabbit she's been split from and reintroduced to.

I've been with them today, we placed them in a neutral hut with some hay and a water bowl. He was terrified at first and we had to restrain Honey to stop her chasing him. After a few hours they settled a lot and both were milling about eating hay. Honey does the odd chase but there's not really been much more than that for the last few hours. They were placed in the hut at around 13:30 and have both shared some herbs we put in for their supper.

I'm not sure what we should do at night? I can't really recall what we did with them to bond them originally. My mum has suggested splitting the hut with mesh so they're still within sight and smell of each other but obviously can't get to each other. It's either this or I stay up and watch them all night in the hut (they can't come indoors atm due to building work happening at my mum and dads house).

What do folks suggest?

I wouldn't want to split them at all if the bonding seems to be going well at this point. I hate to say this, but I would probably stay in the hut with them all night and leave them together, if you really can't bring them anywhere into the house ... brrr .... Spitting the hut down the middle may make it harder when you take the barrier down as they may have got territorial. Well Honey may ...

Ended up doing the 2-7am shift then took Stewart to his work now I'm up after sleeping from 9.30. They're mostly settled, Honey does occasionally chase him but this isn't something to be overly worried about is it? There's been no nipping since yesterday and only a couple of chases between 2am and 7am when I left.

Ended up doing the 2-7am shift then took Stewart to his work now I'm up after sleeping from 9.30. They're mostly settled, Honey does occasionally chase him but this isn't something to be overly worried about is it? There's been no nipping since yesterday and only a couple of chases between 2am and 7am when I left.

It's all sounding very good. There may yet be peace in your household :D

Shame they don't appreciate the lengths you went to to get them back together again.

Well done, really glad it seems to be working out ok. I'm also going to attempt to rebond my pair starting tomorrow (this after her being speyed) so will be down in the chilly extension "sleeping" on an air bed-who knew bunnies could be so much trouble :lol::lol:

Back