• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick advice needed - just found male bunny in my garden!

update

Bunnies seem to be getting on quite well, i cant wait until daisy has had her babies and Charlie has waited the 4 weeks after neutering as i feel they are going to be best buddies!
Im just a little worrie about Daisy, she has become quite stroppy and very naughty in the house, digging and ripping everything in site. I think she is trying to build a nest but as of yet, i cant see where she has made one.
Am i doing anything wrong?
Do i need to keep Charlie away from any where where she sleeps etc?

You may want to wait 6 weeks after his op to introduce them, just to be on the safe side.

She'll only build a nest literally maybe a day or so before she gives birth. You can work out her due date by adding on 31 days from when they were together. If she hasn't had babies by then she's not preggers.

Are you going to keep the babies if she has some??

Thanks - i calculate that her due date will be on or around the 27th.
Im not going to keep the babies. The rabbits are house rabbits and i couldnt have another 4 or 5 jumping around (as much as id love to!).
We also have guinea pigs and hamsters and fish and we just havent got the space or time to devote to a load more bunnies!
Im not sure what i will do with them when they are ready to leave. I dont want to give them away to anybody but i also understand how busy the local rehoming shelters are and dont want to add to their already increasing animals!

Bunnies can still give birth up to 35 days from mating, so even if she hasnt given birth by the the 27th wait an extra 5 days.

Last edited:
so good to hear about genuine animal lovers who will put themselves out for the welfare of animals, hope everything goes well with the babies, and bonding, etc

I am somewhat confused by this thread. The title says "advice needed" yet despite what has been said not only by us but by your first vet you have decided to go ahead with the possible pregnancy. I appreciate your concerns for your girl but if you were planning on getting her spayed anyway then the risk of the GA is still going to be there whether she's a few days pregnant or not.

There are thousands of rabbits in rescue waiting and hoping for new homes, many in horrible situations but on waiting lists because rescues are full and now there's going to be a litter wanting homes too. I appreciate that baby bunnies are fluffy and cute and fun to share, but they do grow into adult rabbits who need a secure home and love for 7+ years.

well I let my male in through the duration of the pregnancy and took him out when she started her nesting behaviour, probably not the wisest move but I was lucky I was right there when she had them, so he couldn't mate her afterwards lol!

the way she's acting, she could be finding a place to have the babies, which is what my Delilah did, and when she started pulling out fur and sticking it in a cupboard I just put it in her box and she then decided she would make it in her box.

But she only started pulling the fur on the day she had her babies, so be careful to keep an eye out.

Also I was recommended on here to seperate them 8 weeks after the neuter, just to be on the safe side, because if she has a litter soon after her first it could just completely exhaust her, and other problems can happen and there is a high risk that she could die.

Golly I hope she doesn't have a very big litter! Delilah only had 2 baby girls so I am lucky... but they're so unpredictable.

How big is she? pictures? ;D

:wave: It's very difficult to know what to do especially when you get conflicting advice.. even more so when it's from professionals. Obviously Daisy is much loved and you want to do the right thing by her. I'm glad you took that bunny out of his horrible situation and it will be a waiting game for the next couple of months whilst he "settles down" after his op.

Fingers crossed for you that your family continue to be understanding (thought your hubby sounded great!) when you have bundles of fur as well as 2 seperate bunnies to contend with
1.gif

Back