• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet advice please?

NikkiBaron

Warren Scout
My dwarf loop came to me on p@H pellets. I was advised to ween her off these to Excel as I was told these are better for rabbits.
I have tried to introduce the Excel slowly into her diet and ween her off the old pellets.
The problem is she does not like the Excel ones and will only eat the P@H ones.
What should i do?
leave her on the old pellets?
Just feed Excel and see what happens?
Have noticed a few posts on Select Science - are these for buns with specific problems?
He is a 7 month old Dwarf loop.
Any advice gratefully recieved!
thank you

Science Selective is a popular food, there are several different versions. The normal version is for healthy adult rabbits and I would recommend it. The pellets are quite large and so there is less chance of a choking incident. Remember to always change them over gradually, mixing both types together. To begin with they will pick out the ones they prefer but if they are refusing to eat any of the other ones it might be because you are feeding too many pellets. I feed 10g per day and the largest part of their diet should be a good quality hay.

Two of my buns are having P@H pellets as we have a huge sack to use up that was on offer...we normally use Science selective and I prefer them having those but all mine happily eat pets at home ones too! :) Science selective are much higher in fibre that P@H ones though...

I wouldnt worry too much if thats what he is happy eating as the pellets make up such a small part of their diet ;)

Thank you both.
So confusing with all the info out there so appreciate your advice.
They do eat plenty of hay and veg as well.
10g ? I know you are not supposed to feed them too many pellets - i usually go by whats on the back of the packet for dwarf loops? Is this wrong- it says 50 g which is slightly more then egg cup full? Help- whats best?
At 7 months - is she classed as an adult rabbit?
Thank you for taking the time to reply
Nikki

I weaned Doughnut from a muesli to Excel pellets, she still had a mucky bum so weaned her onto SS pellets. They are 25% fibre and not had any trouble with her on them, she loves them and begs for them all the time.

You could always call SS and ask for a sample and you can then see if your rabbit likes them, just give her a few a day. If they won't send you one, PM me and I'll send you a handful to try out.

At 7 months she is classed as a senior rabbit although they still have a bit of growing left to do. Yes you are feeding too many pellets, 3/4 eggcup ful and watch how it goes, this is why she is leaving the Excel. You want her to still be hungry when she finishes her pellets so she will then carry on her meal with hay. It might take a while for her to get to a point where she does this. Hope this is of help to you.

3/4 egg cup? Really?
Thank you so much for this advice- this is so so much less than what is on the back of the packet!
Why do they do this?

3/4 egg cup? Really?
Thank you so much for this advice- this is so so much less than what is on the back of the packet!
Why do they do this?

hi, i have just got 2 buks that ar 10 weeks old saturday and there on p@h how much should i b giving them and when? am or pm? thanks!

How much do you normally give them? I would cut down gradually.

I give half an egg cup morning and half in the evening. I don't feed Doughnut, she sometimes has bramble leaves or some sort of forage.

How much do you normally give them? I would cut down gradually.

I give half an egg cup morning and half in the evening. I don't feed Doughnut, she sometimes has bramble leaves or some sort of forage.

about the same then, i was wondering becuase i had 1 bunny last time, but this time i got 2!

Is there a right wrong time to feed them?
I feed mine in the evenings.
They always have fresh hay in the mornings.
they seem fine with this- or is this wrong too???????????????

Bunnies do like something for breakfast and something later on. I have a lot of rabbits so mine get fed during the day and they are happy. As long as they have hay to nibble they will be ok. It is recommended to feed am so that takes about 8 hours to be digested and then they can eat their cecals in the pm. Going back to the amount, if you are giving a lot more than 3/4 eggcup reduce gradually until you reach the required amount Then it's not such a sudden change. Baby rabbits can be fed as much as they will eat more or less.

hi, i have just got 2 buks that ar 10 weeks old saturday and there on p@h how much should i b giving them and when? am or pm? thanks!

At 10 weeks old you can give them say 2 bowlfuls per day alonng with hay Readigrass, fresh grass and a little bit of veg (if they have already eaten fresh food). It's a good idea to get young rabbits used to a variety of things

At 10 weeks old you can give them say 2 bowlfuls per day alonng with hay Readigrass, fresh grass and a little bit of veg (if they have already eaten fresh food). It's a good idea to get young rabbits used to a variety of things

there used to eating, cucumber, basil and sml amounts of carrots,fresh grass and dry farm hay so far!! is that ok?

Bunnies do like something for breakfast and something later on. I have a lot of rabbits so mine get fed during the day and they are happy. As long as they have hay to nibble they will be ok. It is recommended to feed am so that takes about 8 hours to be digested and then they can eat their cecals in the pm. Going back to the amount, if you are giving a lot more than 3/4 eggcup reduce gradually until you reach the required amount Then it's not such a sudden change. Baby rabbits can be fed as much as they will eat more or less.

I've never heard that before? as they are active evening and morning surely if you feed them evening they would just eat their cecals in the morning! Interesting.
I think rabbits constantly want food, everything seems to be more appealing than hay :lol:
I like SS or Allen and Page. I dislike excel. I think loads of vets recommend it just because they are good at advertising.

Herbs are very good but not too much cucumber and carrots are high in sugar so only now and then as a treat (just a small piece). Spring greens are good if nice and fresh and a little bit of cabbage. My rabbits also eat a little piece of swede , brocolli stem, cauliflower leaves and stem, sprout leaves, celery. dandelions, kale in small amounts (high in calcium). No bread or biscuits!

I've never heard that before? as they are active evening and morning surely if you feed them evening they would just eat their cecals in the morning! Interesting.
I think rabbits constantly want food, everything seems to be more appealing than hay :lol:
I like SS or Allen and Page. I dislike excel. I think loads of vets recommend it just because they are good at advertising.

It comes from something I read about wild rabbits, they forage during the day and eat their cecals in their burrows at night.

Back