• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ongoing eye infection

Have you thought about getting him a neutered girlfriend, they do the best job of cleaning up gunky eyes.

Yes I tried bonding but unfortunately it didn't work out. The reason I got Smudge in the first place was to bond with my spayed doe Honey as I lost her husband Benji in Jan at the age of 9. However they kept fighting and I decided to split them up when Smudge bit a chunk off Honey's ear and she had a large gash on her ear, luckily didn't need stitches or anything and healed up quickly but this was about their 3rd big fight. So I split them up and they are in seperate hutches now :( although they can still see each other, so he has no one to clean his eyes now apart from me! :cry:

hey not sure about if baytril discolours teeth, peppers doesnt seem to be discloured, but she isnt a happy bunny when u try to look at her mouth :lol: let us know how you get on at vet, hope that wee smudges eye clears up for good, he is so gorgeous, i could just rabbitnap him and itd be like having my wee muffin all over again, id love that so much :lol:

hey not sure about if baytril discolours teeth, peppers doesnt seem to be discloured, but she isnt a happy bunny when u try to look at her mouth :lol: let us know how you get on at vet, hope that wee smudges eye clears up for good, he is so gorgeous, i could just rabbitnap him and itd be like having my wee muffin all over again, id love that so much :lol:

Will ask my vet about the Baytril discolouring teeth this week. Will have to be on the look out for rabbitnappers, LOL :lol:
Have you got any pictures of Pepper? :wave:

Photo-0098.jpg

heres a wee photo of mypepper, she looks like a pirate i think lol. how you get on at vet?

heres a wee photo of mypepper, she looks like a pirate i think lol. how you get on at vet?[/QUOTE]

Your right she does look like she has a patch. Is this where the tears have scalded the skin? I put a dab of vaseline on smudge's skin when his eyes are bad to stop this. His hair has all grown back now round both eyes thank goodness.

Have to take him back to vets tomorrow but his eyes are still good. Let you know how I get on. How is Pepper now?

no thats where she has had her face shaved! her abscess was lanced and has antibiotic beads put in it, and sewed up, maybe pic wasnt too clear but wee poor lass has been through the wars! not affected her spirit though!! have you been back to vet?

no thats where she has had her face shaved! her abscess was lanced and has antibiotic beads put in it, and sewed up, maybe pic wasnt too clear but wee poor lass has been through the wars! not affected her spirit though!! have you been back to vet?

Oops sorry picture not all that clear! So sorry to hear she has been in the wars so much. Lets hope she is on the mend now, fingers & paws crossed for her. She looks a real sweetie :)

No haven't been back to vet yet. It's tomorrow that I have to drop Smudge off for the day at the vets to have both his tear ducts flushed again. Fingers crossed and touch wood maybe for the last time, as his eyes are really good at the moment and no weeping or gunk coming out. Will ask vet about teeth being discoloured, as I seem to think I have head somewhere else on this forum that antibiotics can discolour their teeth :(

Let me know how Pepper gets on, and will update you on Smudge tomorrow after his trip to vet.

Hope your bunny had a nice time at the vets! Do they give your bunny a general when they flush his tear ducts? Our one now has his done with no numbing at all.

Our bunny still has his poorly eye which we are degunking several times a day (will spare you the details!). Not the most pleasant of jobs, but at least he can now open his eye .... the vet says we're half-way there but that this could go on for some while. We're back there again next week for yet another tear duct flush. I'm thinking of having my salary paid directly to him ..... :shock:

Hope your bunny had a nice time at the vets! Do they give your bunny a general when they flush his tear ducts? Our one now has his done with no numbing at all.

Our bunny still has his poorly eye which we are degunking several times a day (will spare you the details!). Not the most pleasant of jobs, but at least he can now open his eye .... the vet says we're half-way there but that this could go on for some while. We're back there again next week for yet another tear duct flush. I'm thinking of having my salary paid directly to him ..... :shock:

No they don't give him a GA they do it while he is awake same as your bun.

Got on OK at vets one eye was flushing clear this time with no white stuff (hooray!!) but other one still flushing white at the moment. He has to go back for another flush next Thursday. Does drag on doesn't it I know what you mean about the salary I think I must be my vets surgery best customer :lol:

Was a bit worried about Smudge yesterday as he didn't seem himself in the morning but was OK last night they listened to his tummy and said it sounded normal. Will be monitoring him closely now they are such a worry aren't they.

Off to vets again this evening with my other bun Honey for her final mites injection.

Laura & Carol let me know ho your buns get on over the weekend, well I hope :wave:

hello!! good to hear that one of smudges eyes are a lot better, did you suggest xrays or is the vet positive that it isnt infected tooth roots? pepper was in for another injection on friday and back on monday, but shes doing fab! best shes been in a while, my old rabbit is back 2 normal :D

Some good news ... at last! Bunny had his horrendous infection until Sunday morning, we spent ages cleaning him up and then from lunchtime onwards absolutely nothing! We feel like getting a bottle of champagne out :lol:. Have been to the vets again tonight for another tear-duct flush (and a spare bottle of eye drops to keep in the cupboard) and he wants to see him again next week. Sadly, for the vet, we won't be going back next week unless we really feel there is a need ....

Now we're just taking bets on when the next eye infection will be :cry:.

ongoing eye infection

You would not believe the trouble we have had with eye infections in our rabbits there a royal pain in the **** lol . You could try soaking his eyes with soaked tea bags that usually clears up problems for you but eye infections can just go on and on put him on a bed of newspaper and very little shavings that should help as well . I hope that helps.

Back