• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor snake (photos may be upsetting) u/d 24/05/11

Don't feel guilty. Whats done is done, you weren't to know :)

I'm so glad he's being seen by a good vet now. Them keeping him in is for the best, it sounds like the infection isn't too nice. Thats the problem with rep's, they hide pain better than even buns do :/
I hope he improves now he's being looked after properly (I mean by a 'real' exotics vet, I don't mean by you !) :wave:

Tyree managed to shed his skin tonight with a tiny little help from myself and a good soaking. The skin around his nostrils now looks nice and clean and though his skin is still stretched over his lips a bit there is definately less gum on show. Fingers crossed his continues to get better.:D

We back back to see the vet that did his op last week who thinks that the reason his gums are exposed is because as it heals the skin tightens and contracts and this is resulting in the skin lifting off the gums. He thinks that tyree will continue to improve each time he sheds his skin and he's certainly made a bit improvement with this shed.

From the top

tyree110.jpg

Good side

tyree112.jpg

Bad side

tyree111.jpg

Not tried feeding him yet, I'll wait til my corn snakes are due a feed and use their mouse to judge whether or not he'll take food before I go getting any rats out the freezer.

Last edited:
Gosh what a difference! :shock: :D

Scary aint it!:shock::lol: I just hope he continues to improve, still too much gum for my liking but a few wee scabs had formed on his gums where they were exposed. Maybe now they're hidden by his lips they'll heal up and it'll get better still. I have some cream to dab on the exposed bits to stop any infection but he's still getting an antibiotic injection once every three days.:)

Tyree took a mouse last night and struck at me for it as well. I was reluctant to defrost any rats until I was sure he'd eat them and so I always feed my corn snakes a day before him. If he shows interest in a mouse then he gets a rat the next day. However when I opened his viv and dangled the mouse he snatched it out my hand before I could do anything.:shock: His mouth is still showing a wee bit of gum but it's definately not as swollen so hopefully it'll heal fully now that he's started eating again.:D

Back