• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you feed your rabbits?

so, I should reduce their pellets but give them more veg?
But Daisy shoudl eb fed the way she is because she is still growing?

Should I be worried my lot get through a bowl a day? They aren't over weight (but Asbeau is a bit podgy) they have unlimeted meadow hay and get mountain hay or redi grass every otehr day.
Mine don't have much veg, they get it once a week, they are all ahppy and teh vets say my rabbits are in good condition aswell.
they get summat like spring greens, pak choi, pasrley, baby bananas etc

If they are filling themselves up on pellets they wont be eating as much hay, which of course means they are more prone to dental problems and digestive upsets. You would be better drasticly reducing their pellets and increasing the amount of veg you give them. I dont feed any dry food atall, only hay, grass (fresh or dried), lots of veg aswell as weeds when they are available.

This thread may be of interest to you ;) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91481

My big bunnies have an eggcup full of pellets each per day, split into two portions, a leaf of Spring greens each and a carrot + top.
The nethies have half an eggcup each, again divided into two portions, half a leaf of greens and half a carrot +top.
They eat oodles of hay - they have hay boxes and hay racks all over the run so they can nibble whenever they like. I have two potential dental buns, but neither has needed a dental for a long time because of their hay munching.

Mine have mix all day long, which gets toped up in the evening and changed every morning, unlimited hay (which disapears very fast:shock: ) and a small amount of greens morning and evening.

vikki:wave:

I'm feeling cruel tonight, Jen was too scrawny for a while so the vets told me to bump up her pellets..I noticed today that shes definately not scrawny any more, so theyre without pellets tonight. They've had their normal biig portion of veg though so should last til morning :roll: Xx

Maddie is a small bun, she gets a very small bowl of Excel a day, half in the morning half in the evening. Ebony is bigger (bout 3kg) so I give her a bit more, she never finishes them though, not as fussed on them.

They both get a large amount of veggies, I try to give at least three leafy greens per day (eg today they had rocket, a bit of spinach and parsley, as well as a small apple shared).

They have unlimited hay too, and large amounts of grass when its dry outside. :)

Mine (when healthy) get one small handful of SS in the morning and a big bowl of veg (3 varieties) at night. They have adlib hay and occasional readigrass as a treat.

They are only allowed carrot peel and tops as a treat X2 weekly and no fruit.

I'm feeling cruel tonight, Jen was too scrawny for a while so the vets told me to bump up her pellets..I noticed today that shes definately not scrawny any more, so theyre without pellets tonight. They've had their normal biig portion of veg though so should last til morning :roll: Xx

awww, your not cruel hun, I had to do the same with Theodore. When we first got him he was so thin and hungry. But as he put weight on I had to cut things down or he'd got to fat:lol:

I asked my Vet, Christobel (Janes & ARC's Vet) this very question yesterday and i was told you should feeding your buns One Table Spoon of Food Per Kilo of Rabbit. Rest of thier diet should be mind of Unlimited Hay and Readi Grass.

For Example, my boys are 3kg's each so i would put in 6 tables spoons into their bowl.

Hope that helps

m
xx

Mine gets one bowl about this big
rabb.jpg
unlimited hay and veggies throughout the day and the occasional bit for fruit.

My nethies get a very small handfull of pellets in the morning and a tiny handful in the evening. They have unlimited hay topped up with vegetables. The french lop and her boyfriend (a smaller lop) get a larger handful twice a day, again with unlimited hay and veggies. This seems to be working well according to the poo I find!!

xx

Back