• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Geraniums

Thank you to all who have replied on this thread :wave:

I am going to look at the links soon and get ordering.

I've been a bit slow due to being overtaken by a serious bunny emergency ... But I really do appreciate everyone's input xx

Oh no, MM. :(

This is the nursery I usually get my perennials from. http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/search.php?Go=%A0&q=geraniums

Any of these would be OK. She doesn't sell Pelargoniums, so you won't go wrong. As I said, we have several and I find that the ones with the largest leaves are the most suitable for the rabbits.

I was cutting mine down a few days ago and still found a few leaves left for the rabbits :D

I'm happy to vet any others that you find elsewhere :)

Omi, apologies for delay in looking at your useful link :)

Beth Chatto is out of stock, so I researched it on RHS and wonder if the geranium endressii would be good? It looks to be hardy and I could put it at the front of the borders. This company sells two different sizes, and the leaves are chocolatey rather than green, which I'm not sure I was so keen on!

http://www.jacksonsnurseries.co.uk/geranium-endressii-dusky-crug.html

I thought of this geranium as it had big leaves for the rabbits. There's another one I want to look into as well.

Forgive me if my brain is all over the place at the moment xx

There are some blue cornflowers to the right - near the pot of ?herbs.
The small white flowers flopping over the front brick edge - carnations?

Yes, you are quite right. Took that pic a couple of years ago before I had a big pruning session as everything seemed to have outgrown its strength - and it meant I got another flowering from the everlasting geraniums. Yes, they are little garden pinks, which I love and their perfume whizzes me back to childhood. Unfortunately they got swamped. There are all sorts of other things in there but as I was out of action for the second part of last year nothing got dead-headed or anything. Hoping my late snowdrops survived and my aquilegias. Some things are supposed to 'grow like weeds' but just don't like me!

We have Hardy's Cottage Gardens a couple of miles from here - Chelsea winners numerous times. They do mail order if you are interested.

Geraniums :D

I don't know Geranium Endressii. It seems to be a more compact variety and if you want to put it at the front of the border it would be ideal for that. I would prefer it to have green leaves, but that's just a personal thing. I also always try to get something that is described as vigorous or spreading, as then I can cut it back if it gets too large, rather than looking at it and hoping it would get bigger. It would certainly be OK for the rabbits.

Geranium Rozanne is one of my favourites :love: I have grown it at my previous cottage and also we have it here. It is attractive and very robust. It also probably flowers over a longer period than any of the others I've ever grown. I would not buy it from T&M though. As you say they are expensive, as are their seeds. Also I think they buy their stock in from elsewhere and do not propagate their plants themselves.

Another one that we have here is Geranium wallichianum 'Buxton's Variety', which is also very robust and has large green leaves.

I haven't ever bought online from Hardy's Cottage Plants, but I have bought the odd plant from them at RHS shows. Their plants always look to be of excellent quality.

Sometimes it gets very confusing when you have so many to choose from :)

I was sorry to read that you have had a rabbit emergency :(

Geraniums :D

I don't know Geranium Endressii. It seems to be a more compact variety and if you want to put it at the front of the border it would be ideal for that. I would prefer it to have green leaves, but that's just a personal thing. I also always try to get something that is described as vigorous or spreading, as then I can cut it back if it gets too large, rather than looking at it and hoping it would get bigger. It would certainly be OK for the rabbits.

Geranium Rozanne is one of my favourites :love: I have grown it at my previous cottage and also we have it here. It is attractive and very robust. It also probably flowers over a longer period than any of the others I've ever grown. I would not buy it from T&M though. As you say they are expensive, as are their seeds. Also I think they buy their stock in from elsewhere and do not propagate their plants themselves.

Another one that we have here is Geranium wallichianum 'Buxton's Variety', which is also very robust and has large green leaves.

I haven't ever bought online from Hardy's Cottage Plants, but I have bought the odd plant from them at RHS shows. Their plants always look to be of excellent quality.

Sometimes it gets very confusing when you have so many to choose from :)

I was sorry to read that you have had a rabbit emergency :(

Thank you Omi :wave:

I see both the varieties you mention are available at Beth Chatto, and although the postage seems expensive, I guess it's realistic and they pack and send them the best way possible :)

Now just to decide how many of each to get. Also, would there be any others you could recommend? (sorry to pick your brain. Mine has really finished work for the day I'm afraid :cry:)

Is Beth Chatto still alive? She must be about 94 if so?

We've got this one http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/e-h/geranium-border-types/geranium-ann-folkard.htm. I would recommend it, especially as it sprawls and I cut the whole length of the sprawly bit off and feed it to the rabbits :)

We've also got this one http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/e-h/geranium-border-types/geranium-phaeum-var-phaeum-samobor.htm. (I note it's out of stock at Beth Chatto). It's not as showy as the others, as the flowers are much smaller and duller. The good points are, though, that it has large blotchy leaves and self-seeds everywhere. The rabbits will eat these leaves even when they're dying off.

Yes, I think Beth Chatto is still alive and yes she must be in her nineties :) I've visited her gardens and nursery several times :love:

Yes, I agree delivery charges are quite a lot, but then so is carriage I guess. Makes sense if you are getting more than one variety to get them all from the same place.

We've got this one http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/e-h/geranium-border-types/geranium-ann-folkard.htm. I would recommend it, especially as it sprawls and I cut the whole length of the sprawly bit off and feed it to the rabbits :)

We've also got this one http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/e-h/geranium-border-types/geranium-phaeum-var-phaeum-samobor.htm. (I note it's out of stock at Beth Chatto). It's not as showy as the others, as the flowers are much smaller and duller. The good points are, though, that it has large blotchy leaves and self-seeds everywhere. The rabbits will eat these leaves even when they're dying off.

Yes, I think Beth Chatto is still alive and yes she must be in her nineties :) I've visited her gardens and nursery several times :love:

Yes, I agree delivery charges are quite a lot, but then so is carriage I guess. Makes sense if you are getting more than one variety to get them all from the same place.

Thanks so much - I shall check those out!

My bunnies are going to love you :love:

One question (sorry to be dense :oops:)

... Can the rabbits eat the geranium flowers as well as the leaves? I'm guessing yes?

I am probably going to go with a selection from Beth Chatto. I've done some research and it would seem that the obvious is true - if you cut corners in paying for delivery you may end up with plants sent Royal Mail and dying en route.

I may also get some seeds - but perhaps think about marigolds (another thread looming. I find the calendula/marigold thing confusing too!). I can use my makeshift cold frame when the weather gets a bit warmer - thanks for the suggestion minilop :)

Amazing how much you can find out in terms of where to buy plants (and importantly where *not* to buy) from the Internet :lol:

I am probably going to go with a selection from Beth Chatto. I've done some research and it would seem that the obvious is true - if you cut corners in paying for delivery you may end up with plants sent Royal Mail and dying en route.

I may also get some seeds - but perhaps think about marigolds (another thread looming. I find the calendula/marigold thing confusing too!). I can use my makeshift cold frame when the weather gets a bit warmer - thanks for the suggestion minilop :)

Amazing how much you can find out in terms of where to buy plants (and importantly where *not* to buy) from the Internet :lol:

Excellent, think I will follow your lead :thumb:

Also hope you're OK MM xx

Back