• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dead animal in hay

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hi all

As the title says; I’ve found a dead animal at the top, of the hay (not sure what it is as haven’t looked closely). I think it’s a bird- and he’s included a pic

It’s from Timothyhay.co.uk and I know this is part of the process, but I don’t want to feed it to them.

Has this happened to you and what have you done if it has?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6157.jpeg
    IMG_6157.jpeg
    580.1 KB · Views: 23
Omg, email them, they'll send a replacement and probably tell you to dispose of this box

Not happened to you then?! I’m a bit surprised they didn’t see it, as it’s at the top of the box!
No sorry I meant to say I was just so shocked! Definitely never had that happen, yea that's crazy! Been buying from them solidly for 7 years, never had that happen!

Yea you'd have thought they'd have seen it, it's weird too, like when do they box the hay? That's a fairly fresh dead bird.. Anyway definitely contact them, I wouldn't feed that hay personally.

Thanks for your advice guys, I turned to you guys before even emailing them!

Def not feeding them the hay, it’s outside and we need to dispose of it somewhere!

Got to admit, this isn’t a great day for this to happen, really not feeling my best and not in the mood!

Gracie -it is very fresh (although it’s the 2023 cut) , as I can see that the bird has just died. Poor thing

Thanks for your advice guys, I turned to you guys before even emailing them!

Def not feeding them the hay, it’s outside and we need to dispose of it somewhere!

Got to admit, this isn’t a great day for this to happen, really not feeling my best and not in the mood!

Gracie -it is very fresh (although it’s the 2023 cut) , as I can see that the bird has just died. Poor thing

Yea maybe you can just put the whole box in a black sack and put it out with normal rubbish.

They must have boxed it very recently :( maybe a machine does it and the poor thing flew in, I really don't know much about that side of things.

Sending lots of hugs :( xx

Thanks for the hugs Grace, life can be a right pain in the **** sometimes!

I contacted Janice at Timothyhay and she was very nice, and admitted that they check all of the boxes, and that the one I received should have been discarded. I’ll be getting a replacement.

Unfortunately it wont fit in a bin liner, so I’ll get my husband to do something else with it!

Poor bird, I looked quite large as well xxx

Thanks for the hugs Grace, life can be a right pain in the **** sometimes!

I contacted Janice at Timothyhay and she was very nice, and admitted that they check all of the boxes, and that the one I received should have been discarded. I’ll be getting a replacement.

Unfortunately it wont fit in a bin liner, so I’ll get my husband to do something else with it!

Poor bird, I looked quite large as well xxx
Yea it really can :(

Ah that's good news that they'll send a replacement! We have extra large bags which they go in, but yea it's a big box! xx

I've been buying regularly from them for a similar number of years to Gracie and have never experienced anything like this. I'm pleased that they are going to send a replacement. I was sure that they would.

I think, Gracie, that the hay is boxed up as you order it, because there is a box on the order where, if you wanted say very, very stalky, you could request it when ordering. The operation to stuff the hay into the box and tie it up with twine, is, I imagine separate from the later operation of sealing the box and addressing it. Poor unfortunate bird probably hopped in, possibly seeing a seedhead, and got trapped :cry:

Horrible for you, obviously, but that poor bird. :cry:
It is very tragic about the bird :cry: I can imagine though that in all types of farming operations, there will be many casualties to different species of wildlife. I try not to think what damage to small creatures is happening when the hayfields opposite here are cut each year.

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry you found that poor bird in your hay, and when you were already having a bad day, too. ☹️ That poor birdie. 😢 I'm glad you're getting a replacement, at least. I hope you can find some way to get rid of the hay.

Omg It's both very sad and scary ☹️ but I'm glad they sent a new hay, good thing you noticed it right away

Back