• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding or not bonding thats the question

susan88

New Kit
I have two unspayed female rabbits, one is a standard lop (Smudge) and the other is a dwarf lop (Moko), I purchased them from a Petshop nearly a year ago where they were in a pen together. Since having them they have bonded well and I have never seen any aggression (maybe the odd humping each others head occassionally). Recently Smudge is chasing Moko around the pen, anywhere Moko is he has to be, this happens constant now and I write this after seperating them as Moko is becoming distressed, thumping and is beginning to be a very unhappy rabbit. Since seperating them Moko appears to be more active, inquisitive and friendly.

Could this be happening because they are not from the same family? being unspayed? or is it dominance? I have contacted a family member who is happy to have Smudge but it upsets me to have to seperate them as they seemed to have a great bond with each other.

Any advise would much appreciated

Susan :)

I would think likely it's related to them being unspayed and spring bringing on the hormones. Hopefully if you got them spayed and waited 6-8 weeks, they could be rebonded.

And welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the reply. I will go to the vets and ask how much it will cost to get them both spayed tomorrow. I need my happy rabbits back again :-(

Thank you for the welcome :)

Moko and Smudge

Well I have done it Moko and Smudge have been spayed, Moko took a little turn and ended back in the vets as she was not eatting or passing anything, since been on her new meds she is doing much better. However she has become vicious towards me, any time I put my hand in her cage to give her food or meds etc she is attacking me, hissing and growling. Its really upsetting as Smudge was the reason I had to do this, and Moko was always friendly,is this a stage she will grow out of or will she be like this for a long time???

The two rabbits arein seperate pens as well so I can monitor Moko but I am worrying whether they will keep the bond they had before this.

Back