• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my two female rabbits

Hi
I’m new to being a flup mum. I rescued a flop ear female rabbit about three month ago. She’s one year and five month (willow)

Didn’t take her long to settle in and free roams. She’s a sweetheart, loves cuddles, smooths and ear rubs.

I’ve recently rescued a 9 week old flop ear who’s also a female (Jinx)

Willow is obviously curious and sniffs about her cage, they’ve booped noses a few times and willow also honks at her which is a good sign.

There was an altercation through the cage a few days ago where willow bit jinx through the bars of her cage, caught her eye and resulted in us taking her to the vet’s.
She’s fine in herself and lucky that willow didn’t damage her eyeball.

I’m after some advice really on how to bond them safely.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I’ve attached two pics of the flups :)

Attachments

• IMG_5951.jpeg
    IMG_5951.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome to the forum :) Your bunnies are very cute ❤️

Is Willow spayed? It's advisable to spay Does to prevent the occurence of uterine cancer. Because bonding two female bunnies is also one of the most challenging bonds, it's also going to be almost essential for both bunnies to be spayed before you start to try to bond. That will mean that you should wait a few months until Jinx has been spayed and has recovered. When the spay should be done is something you should discuss with your vet, plus also arranging for vaccinations if they haven't already been done.

You should try to ensure that they can't access each other through the bars to prevent injury.

When you do start bonding it's going to be better to start off in a neutral space, where neither bunny has been previously.

Please come back to us and ask further questions if you need to :)

Your bunnies are adorable! Agree with Omi, females can be tricky to bond and spaying is not only good for their health but will hopefully make things a bit easier. If Willow isn't spayed I'd look to get her booked in ASAP and then as soon as Jinx is old enough do the same. It is best to introduce them in a neutral space when the time comes.

Hi both!
Thank you for your replies. Willow is booked to get spayed at the beginning of May and also getting her vaccinations on the third. I’m looking at getting jinx spayed when she’s a little older also.
I’ll keep you posted though. Thank you so much :)

Hi both!
Thank you for your replies. Willow is booked to get spayed at the beginning of May and also getting her vaccinations on the third. I’m looking at getting jinx spayed when she’s a little older also.
I’ll keep you posted though. Thank you so much :)
Great :)

Obviously discuss with your vet, but I would leave at least a couple of weeks free between spaying and vaccinations for Willow. That way it wouldn't stress her immune system too much.

Back