• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bare patch on rear

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
I was giving flo a bit of a gentle brush up this morning and as I got to her rear area near her tail flap I started to get an increase in fur coming off. I checked the area and where I'd been brushing, there were 2 now bald-ish areas either side of her tail area. I noticed very small white flecks - almost like either dandruff or small dried flakes of skin but very small. No sign of any moving beasties or anything. A couple of weeks ago I applied some rearguard round that area as it was showing signs of warming up.
Any thoughts as to what this might be? Its only isolated in that area in those 2 spots. No other signs of fur loss and she's not really showing signs of a moult. Is it a vet trip time?
Thank you for any thoughts or advice.
Craig

Could just be moulting as it's that time of year. Everything of mine is in a low level moult (it's still cold here)

Mites? Would need vet to confirm (skin scrape & microscopy). Treatment is straightforward (Ivermectin over a few weeks). Usually means there are other issues which make grooming (and hence keeping mites at bay) more difficult eg dental or arthritis.

Not sure if it could be a reaction to Rearguard. I don't like the stuff as I had too many problems with it. I use F10 Germicidal Wound Spray with Insecticide, if needed. Does the same job, is easier to use and cheaper.

Less likely is ringworm - often shows as areas of broken off hair, rather than just bald. The areas will expand outwards. Doesn't always show under UV lamp, but that's an easy diagnostic tool. Will continue to spread slowly, including to other beasties / humans.

I would be tempted to keep an eye on it for a few days. If it's a moult, there will be normal fur regrowth coming through but it may also get patchy for a while.

Thank you shimmer. I'm not convinced its a moult as it just doesn't feel right - call it bunny parent gut feeling. Because of the localisation of it and the fact I put rearguard on recently I'm leaning towards that but it shouldn't make her fur come out. I will monitor it regularly over the next few days. I've got time to go to the vet if I need to up to mid day tomorrow b4 it turns into ooh rates which I wish to avoid. Also in my current very fragile mh state, anything like this just exaggerates how I react so I'm kind of very anxious about things.
I'm grateful for your feedback and advice - it really helps.
C x

It's definitely not an emergency vet visit, but I can understand how it all feels more complex at the moment, and that you don't need the extra stress or expense.

I assume she's eating & doing all the other stuff as normal.

Hugs to you all.

Oh yeah, shes absolutely fine in herself as far as I can tell. She had a very nice 2 hours basking in the sun this morning. As for bertie.....
20240421_162344.jpg

Could just be the result of the now dried Rearguard. But white flakey dandruff and fur loss also occurs with cheyletiella mites. The mites are not visible to the naked eye, microscopy from a skin scraping would be needed to see them.

Thank you Jane. Your medical knowledge is amazing. I may have to go to the vets then. If this is a common mite. Any ideas how they might have got to flo?

Ah - seems that these mitey things may be got from bedding ie in hay and/or straw. Might explain how. Think a trip to the vet may be in order - i can't determine if there are mites or not so a skin scrape may be the best way to find out.

Ah - seems that these mitey things may be got from bedding ie in hay and/or straw. Might explain how. Think a trip to the vet may be in order - i can't determine if there are mites or not so a skin scrape may be the best way to find out.
See how things go over the next few days. If you have brushed out all the flakey skin and dead fur you could find the skin goes back to looking 100% normal. The flakiness being dried dead skin cells after the previous application of Rearguard. If it were mites the ‘dandruff’ won’t go away and would probably spread and be itchy. There’s no point in stressing her (and you) out by an unnecessary Vet trip 😀

Back