• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

[B]My Bunny Has An Abscess On Face....[B]

id loved to have stayed wi pepper, but unfortunately im working today, and its a 12hour shift, wont get home till 7 :( but my boyfriend has taken her in and i told her how much i loved her :D she was probably glad to stop getting held for a bit :lol: i know how sad it is about willow, i had a rabbit when i was 13 and im telling you, i loved him like a family member!!! but he had an abscess and had to let him go eventually :cry: least im a bit more clued up nowadays. thanks for all replies and help though, will let yous know asap the outcome! xxx be strong pepper!

pepper had a tooth taken out that was loose, and actually has 2 abscesses one next to the other :( there was a lot of pus came out and also through both her nostrils :( but good news is she is eating again and jobbying etc again, so good signs!!! she has to get injectable penicillin ever 48hours, and has them micro bead things put in the abscess too. dont think outlook is meant to be good but just hoping that can cling on to her for a while longer....or until she is suffereing, dont want that. im to phone the vet at 3 so cant wait to see her!!!

Image059.jpg

Last edited:
aw i hope so!!!! got her home and keeping her in house 2nite, feel quite rotten though coz ive neglected my other rabbit salt a bit but got her in too so givin her loadsa cuddles!!! taking pepper back on saturday for a penicillin injection...but she seems very chirpy and alert and jobbying away goodstyle earlier lol

I'm glad to hear that Pepper is now having depocillin and has the antibiotic beads. She has a good chance of recovery now although these abscesses do come back sometimes.
My friends rabbit had an abscess behind her eye and had to have it removed. She had a course of depocillin and recovered and has been well for a year now! :D

is depocillin injections the same as penicillin? im really glad i took her to the other vets, because even if the outlook could still be bleak, ive got her here for longer and she definately seems to be back to her usual self....though i do wonder, in the past week, she has peed on me twice when i have been hollding her....she had never ever done this and is usually great to hold. The first time was maybe my fault, as i had her on me for quite a while and she started scratching and getting agitated but i thought she was just being a pain and would settle back down..her revenge..she peed on me! but last night after giving her some antibiotics orally she then peed on me!! she seems fine in the sense she doesnt seem stressed, but i suppose its hard to tell if they cant talk to you. anyone any ideas or do you think its just been unlucky for me and my clothes?!

Back