• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Aoife- U/D 17th Sept 2023- She’s Gone :-(

Aoife has been feeling a lot better over the last 36 hours :) Her eyes are still sore, but not nearly as bad as they were. Touch wood she hasn’t had any more seizures.My Vet has advised that we do not rush into a lot of diagnostics at the RVC at this stage, but to complete the course of fenbendazole, continue with her eye drops and monitor her weight and general behaviour. I am happy with this advice. Should Aoife have more seizures or exhibit any more worrying symptoms we can always rethink the plan of action.

I won’t update this thread any more unless there are any significant changes. Thanks so much to all of you who have taken the time to post to show you care about my big girl :)

So very glad she seems to have stabilized and is improving. It must be a great relief for you too.

I hope she'll continue to do well and that you've been able to rest yourself. (((((Huge hugs))))) xxxxx

Just a short update. Yesterday evening Aoife had been doing OK, she has been on Fenbendazole for 12 days and is also having Meloxicam. Her follicular conjunctivitis is reasonably well controlled with twice daily bathing and the application of Maxitrol eye drops.

At about 10pm last night she had another seizure :cry: As before there were no warning signs. The seizure lasted for about 3 minutes. She appeared to hold her breath at the end, I thought she’d gone. So I gave her a few breaths into her nose, she still had a heartbeat so I didn’t attempt chest compressions. After a few more seconds, which seemed like hours she gasped and started breathing again, but at a very abnormal fast rate. She was very out of it for a couple of hours during which time her respiratory rate retuned to normal.

She will allow me to medicate her, treat her eyes and administer fluids without having to pick her up. Picking her up distresses her a lot and due to the fact that I now have to move about on my hands and knees most of the time picking her up is impossible for me to do. Especially as she weighs 5.2kg.

Arrangements are in place should the situation evolve that means Aoife would need to go to live with an able bodied very Rabbit Savvy friend, a Vet. But it will break my heart to have to let her go. I will do it, of course. Rest assured Aoife’s welfare will always come first.

At the moment Aoife is resting and eating her way through a pile of Rose petal infused hay. She is relaxed and not at all distressed.

If there are any more spare vibes we’d appreciate them please x

I'm sad to see this update :( Sending loads of vibes for beautiful Aoife, our special girlie.

Thank you everyone. At the moment Aoife is asleep. Her GI tract is functioning normally and she is eating. She does still present as being a bit ‘dazed’ but no other neurological signs. We are not yet decided in how to proceed from here, at the moment her treatment will remain unchanged. The stress of transporting her to the RVC is not something we feel is in her best interests at the moment. She does not travel well at all and stress could trigger more seizures.

So sorry I missed this update. I am sending more vibes for you and your beautiful girl. I hope you will not have to resort to the arrangements for her to stay with your vet friend.
Hugs

Another brief update- our Vet’s professional opinion is that Aoife’s clinical presentation is that which fits with either idiopathic epilepsy or a brain lesion/mass :cry:

We discussed options going forward.

1- Brain CT/MRI scans to ascertain if there is a brain mass.

2- ‘Wait and see’ - Keep a diary of symptoms. If seizures become frequent start anti-convulsant medication. If Aoife’s QOL is adversely effected every day, regardless of treatment (side effects of medication can be unpleasant) then we let her go :cry:

I asked what would we can gain from scans with regards to other treatment options.Our Vet said that treatment wise nothing. It would just rule out a brain mass/tumour. If a tumour were found my Vet does not think it would be ethical to even contemplate surgery/biopsies/ chemo etc. I agree.

So, after much discussion we are going with option 2. I know some people won’t agree with this and maybe feel I am not doing enough to try to help Aoife. But me and our Vet have come to this decision with Aoife’s welfare as our priority. Our Vet said it’s the decision she would make if Aoife were her Rabbit.

We don’t know how things are going to pan out but at the moment Aoife is doing OK within herself. And for her ‘at the moment’ is all that matters.

Back