• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone insulated a shed before?

Graciee

Staff member
Millions of guides online, but obviously not from a rabbit perspective! Just wondering if anyone has and what they found worked?

What type of insulation did you use for floor, and walls?

What did you cover that with?

Did it hold up well?

That type of thing really, I'm thinking of using maybe ply to board out over the top so that if they nibble or in Willoughbys case, absolutely destroy, they wouldn't be toxic but Idk if there's something better, I'd like it to look nice if possible!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I used sheets of expanded polystyrene from Wickes to insulate the walls & roof. It's easy to handle, cut, etc. Then board over with thin ply, and paint. I used white emulsion paint last time so it's brighter inside but still easy to wipe down. The ply should give a nice smooth finish with no gaps that isn't easy to get bunny teeth into.

I've not done floors, but have thought about doing underneath (ie on the outside) with either more expanded polystyrene, or the sheet stuff they use for new house builds (like Kingspan insulation offcuts) and fasten loosely eg with netting or battens, depending on access.

Yes I insulated a bun when we'd first moved to Scotland. I used Celotex sheets ( other products are available) covered in plywood sheets, including the roof. The second winter up there, we had storm after storm predicted, so they came inside and took over the extension, and never went back to shed ! :?

Thanks both! Know anything about that rock wool stuff? Idk if that's quite the right name but you know what I mean hopefully [emoji38] I think it's meant to reduce humidity and be temperature stabilising or something.

What do I do around windows and doors? It's kinda a summer house vibe, long side window and French doors with long windows on them. The window I assume I'll have to frame out of something. Idek

I wouldn't use Rockwool for a rabbit home insulation. Anything that produces toxic dust or may be used for bedding if they get access to it isn't an option for me. I know this isn't quite the same, but...
https://luv2garden.com/using-rockwool-in-hydroponics/

Solid doors can be insulated the same as walls & roof, although you need to be more aware of increasing the weight on the hinges & frames. Glazed panels can have external thermal covers or louvres. You would probably need secondary frames with mesh, and just use the solid doors at night or during bad weather. It partly depends on the weather - so check which way the wind usually blows and the direction of the sun when siting the shed. Direct sun through glass doors is going to make it very hot in summer. Wind causes draughts and will blow rain in through meshed openings with no overhang.

We just have lino on the floor and ply on the walls. The lino extends a little way up the walls over the ply, Then over the join we have a strip of mesh all the way round to prevent any nibbles. It seems to work reasonably well. Certainly no opportunity for nibbling.

Not a rabbit shed but a garden room for us - we used Jablite polystyrene sheets from B&Q. Light and easy to cut to size &, if you make them snug, they jam nicely into the spaces between the upright battens. Aside from anything else, rockwool is going to be a nightmare when you're working with it.

We put plasterboard over the top because we wanted to paint etc but plywood sheets would be fine (& safer) in your case.

I'm not totally sure I understand what you're asking about window frames so I might be off track here but we used skirting board to hide all the plasterboard edges around the window frames. It's hard to explain in words but will see if I have a photo.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Excuse the rubbish through the window. [emoji1787] Basically one strip of wood at a right angle to the window to cover the exposed edges, then the mitred ones over the top of that to frame the whole thing.

In your case, you might be better off without the framing as there might be less edges for the rabbits to chew on that way.
b020a1ec1450f07c2b433ef7a49dab0a.jpg

Just another thought but, if you wanted it to look nice and money's no object, then there's no reason why you couldn't clad the walls with tongue and groove to hide the insulation instead of plywood sheets.

Excuse the rubbish through the window. [emoji1787] Basically one strip of wood at a right angle to the window to cover the exposed edges, then the mitred ones over the top of that to frame the whole thing.

In your case, you might be better off without the framing as there might be less edges for the rabbits to chew on that way.

Ooo this looks amazing! This is exactly what I meant!

I'm worried the ply won't look great, but I don't think I'm up to plastering [emoji38][emoji38]

Just another thought but, if you wanted it to look nice and money's no object, then there's no reason why you couldn't clad the walls with tongue and groove to hide the insulation instead of plywood sheets.

Ah I'll have a look thanks

Perhaps I'm not understanding how this constructed, but wouldn't the rabbits have a similar number of edges to nibble with the first piece of wood ie without the framing?

Ooo this looks amazing! This is exactly what I meant!

I'm worried the ply won't look great, but I don't think I'm up to plastering [emoji38][emoji38]

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Tongue and groove would work & much easier to DIY. I don't think it would be cheap though. Ours is plasterboard, taped and jointed. I said "We" did it but I actually meant a friend who's a dryliner by trade. [emoji1787]

Omi, it's probably hard to visualise, and even harder to explain. There's probably not much difference in it (between having the framing and not I mean) but, without it, you would just have an external corner/edge all the way around the window. And you could use something like tile edging trim along that edge so it's potentially easier to bunny proof if need be.

Don't laugh at my really bad example but, if you imagine the red section of this photo is the batten, the blue part is the tongue and groove or plywood, the only chewing edge is the black. Whereas they could chew the framing from any angle, really.
7a21be98a2ee735fc8078004d2f23e0c.jpg

[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Tongue and groove would work & much easier to DIY. I don't think it would be cheap though. Ours is plasterboard, taped and jointed. I said "We" did it but I actually meant a friend who's a dryliner by trade. [emoji1787]

Omi, it's probably hard to visualise, and even harder to explain. There's probably not much difference in it (between having the framing and not I mean) but, without it, you would just have an external corner/edge all the way around the window. And you could use something like tile edging trim along that edge so it's potentially easier to bunny proof if need be.

Don't laugh at my really bad example but, if you imagine the red section of this photo is the batten, the blue part is the tongue and groove or plywood, the only chewing edge is the black. Whereas they could chew the framing from any angle, really.
7a21be98a2ee735fc8078004d2f23e0c.jpg

Yea I wonder how much it would be, it's only 7ft by 6ft in the bun section. That would be much easier and then just framing to hide the window and door bits like you've done... And I could paint it! [emoji38] What would I do on the ceiling tho? [emoji51]

Gracie, don't forget this toxicity issue with plywood too. Needs consideration together with nibbling opportunities.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?487182-MDF-how-can-you-make-it-safe
Oh wait I thought I was good with ply? But not mdf?

What about whatever my shed is made from..? I doubt that'll be safe? :(

This is an issue because Willoughby is a mega chewer he's actually chewed a mdf skirting, but was okay thankfully!

Oh wait I thought I was good with ply? But not mdf?

What about whatever my shed is made from..? I doubt that'll be safe? :(

This is an issue because Willoughby is a mega chewer he's actually chewed a mdf skirting, but was okay thankfully!

https://www.thewoodworkplace.com/is-plywood-safe-for-rabbits/

It's not the wood itself, but the adhesive used. I think the shed wood will be OK. As I said previously, we have used ply, but all edges are covered over in mesh to prevent nibbling.

I always thought plywood was OK & pretty much always recommended on here in the past? MDF is best avoided because of the dust, but also it's really heavy & doesn't cope well with moisture.

Graciee, with the ceiling, again, it comes down the cost so either plywood or tongue & groove would be OK.

I always thought plywood was OK & pretty much always recommended on here in the past? MDF is best avoided because of the dust, but also it's really heavy & doesn't cope well with moisture.

Graciee, with the ceiling, again, it comes down the cost so either plywood or tongue & groove would be OK.

Which is why I posted the above link, which explains why plywood is not safe. Unless you make sure you purchase untreated plywood.

As I have said, we have used plywood, but we have made sure that there are absolutely no opportunities for nibbling.

I did read the link but there's so much conflicting info on Google & I've not heard of the website. I'm not disputing it, just a bit surprised, that's all.

I agree though, it's safer to bunny proof exposed edges/corners, which is why I mentioned it for around the windows.

Back