• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

12 week baby bunny health

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Hi all, I have a new baby dwarf lop bunny. Although I am a experienced bunny owner my buns are over 7 and I cannot remember the dos and don'ts for baby buns. Currently, we are on **** pet shop feed he came with slowing changing over to excel nuggets. He has Timothy hay in his bowl and in a litter tray as im frightened he may eat litter pellets. He doesn't have any toys just loves coming out for a binky. So basically I want to know when can I trust him with toys, which are safe incase he eats, can I introduce different types of hay, for example five a day hay or some that has mint or marigold? I am worried about tummy issues. Also when can I worm and mite treatment him? We are off to the vets tomorrow for free check up and vaccine but they are not particularly savvy. We have him booked for his castration with John chitty in a few weeks. He is so precious to me I don't want to cause him any problems. Also all my buns are litter trained and it seemed to be easy with them. ..my little one is a poop factory?

Hi all, I have a new baby dwarf lop bunny. Although I am a experienced bunny owner my buns are over 7 and I cannot remember the dos and don'ts for baby buns. Currently, we are on **** pet shop feed he came with slowing changing over to excel nuggets. He has Timothy hay in his bowl and in a litter tray as im frightened he may eat litter pellets. He doesn't have any toys just loves coming out for a binky. So basically I want to know when can I trust him with toys, which are safe incase he eats, can I introduce different types of hay, for example five a day hay or some that has mint or marigold? I am worried about tummy issues. Also when can I worm and mite treatment him? We are off to the vets tomorrow for free check up and vaccine but they are not particularly savvy. We have him booked for his castration with John chitty in a few weeks. He is so precious to me I don't want to cause him any problems. Also all my buns are litter trained and it seemed to be easy with them. ..my little one is a poop factory?

You and I have something in common. After many years of having geriatric bunnies followed by new adoptions of adults; I now find myself with two very young netherland dwarf bunnies my spouse gave me (himself?) for our anniversary. It has been over a dozen years since I had young bunnies and I plan on keeping them on the same type of pellets as the original owner and offering only high quality timothy hay for many more weeks as long as they are thriving. I don't want to alarm you, but young bunnies are much more prone to tummy issues than older bunnies; something to do with the pH of their gut I think. Young bunnies have also just had stress from weaning and transportation to a new home and stress can also cause tummy issues (per my vet on their first visit last week).

As far as toys are concerned, willow balls, apple tree twigs and other wood chew type toys are fine for baby Rabbits. I would speak with JC about the worm/flea treatments, (as you say the Vet you are seeing today is not Rabbit Savvy)
Here is some useful information about feeding young Rabbits :

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp

I tend to provide them toys from the off (around 8 weeks). Toys made from willow always go down well and I feel safe giving these.
Different tunnels are always good, I tend to stick to wood or cardboard tunnels, no fabric.

I don't routinely worm or flea treat my buns. If they get fleas then I give them flea treatment and a worming course.

He's probably come into his hormones if he's 12 weeks old, meaning he'll be marking territory with faeces and will soon start spraying. This will all improve once he's neutered :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have a little 'un and she *loves* her little wooden hidey holes. She has a wooden "house" from P@H, so can chew it, hop on too of it and go lie down inside when she fancies a snooze. She also has one of those wooden stick "bridges" that she uses the same way.

She also has a soft kitten hidey house that she likes, but I think will get more use when it gets colder and she wants somewhere snuggly to chill out.

Back