• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recent content by Shimmer

1. S

Lillabelle getting spayed

I've never used a tshirt after a rabbit spay. They usually leave the area alone, and it makes it much easier to check on it if it's not covered. I would keep things as normal as possible at home to reduce stress, although I tend to find it's more difficult to stop them jumping etc than I...
  2. S

Please could you help with bonding - I’ve had to split them up

How long have they both been neutered? Is B definitely a neutered boy? How long has he been with you? It is usually recommended to leave bonding until at least 6 weeks after neutering so that the hormone levels have reduced. If you've also not had B for very long, he may just be settling in...
  3. S

Is this ramp too steep?!

That's what I was thinking as well - something like a couple of breeze blocks would work. I do tend to find that rabbits prefer to jump rather than use ramps in standard hutches. Something like a 2' jump is nothing for an active rabbit. Older and less agile ones may need more consideration...
  4. S

Can I let my buns loose on newly laid turf yet??

The roots really need a chance to get going, so I would wait until it's had a couple of light cuts before letting the rabbits graze. Dispose of those cuttings to make sure that the rabbits are not ingesting any herbicides, etc. which have been taken up into the new growth.
  5. S

Bonded rabbits chasing

If they are not actually fighting or fur pulling, would just keep a close eye on them for now. They need time to recover from their neutering, then their hormone levels will fall over the next 6 weeks or so. The rest sounds like pretty normal adolescent rabbit behaviour. Make sure they each...
  6. S

Frequent dental issue

Just keep an eye on her and deal with things as they happen. If she's eating, happy and pain free, you are doing your job.
  7. S

Two boys needing new home together in Northampton

What area are they in? Are they neutered and vaccinated? Any idea what breed / type they are? Photos are always good. If you need info on rabbit care, this is a really good source: https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care/
  8. S

Bonding girls

I would just give it a go on neutral territory. Nothing to lose, a pair of happy bunnies to gain...hopefully. As they have both had partners until recently, I would hope that would go in your favour as they are used to being with another bun. Good luck.
  9. S

Pinworms

The article that IM posted suggests that pinworm infestation is basically a cycle of reinfestation. The rabbits are ingesting the eggs from faecal output, which generates another cycle of infestation every 4-6 weeks. The article also gives a treatment schedule using Panacur (fenbenzadole), which...
  10. S

Frequent dental issue

Don't give up - you are doing a good job. Many people don't notice when their rabbit has a dental problem and just leave it to suffer 😥 . You care and have actively done things to help her. Not being able to eat hay isn't the end of the world if you manage what she can eat and monitor her -...
  11. S

Frequent dental issue

She needs to keep eating. If that means more pellets and herbs like corriander, then that's what she needs. You could try softer hay or other leafy greens, but she must eat. If she is unable to eat hay / grass, then you need to give her an alternative. Just providing hay which she is unable to...
  12. S

Frequent dental issue

Sometimes all you can do is deal with the 'now'. If she can't eat enough / any hay, all you can do is work to what she can eat. I've had dental bunnies on mush for a few years before. If it keeps their weight steady and their guts functioning, it doesn't really bother the rabbit. You just have...
  13. S

Frequent dental issue

You could just soften her usual pellets. I tend to pour boiling water on them and leave them for a while, then mash with a fork and add a bit of apple puree if it's for syringe feeding. The powdery bits from the bottom of a pack is also useful to save. Otherwise, just add a bit of water and...
  14. S

Frequent dental issue

Checking her droppings is a good way to check if she's eating enough - any change in size, shape and quantity should ring alarm bells. My concern is that if you think she's not eating hay, she really should have an alternative food source. Rabbits should be almost constantly eating. If they are...
  15. S

Bare patch on rear

It's definitely not an emergency vet visit, but I can understand how it all feels more complex at the moment, and that you don't need the extra stress or expense. I assume she's eating & doing all the other stuff as normal. Hugs to you all.
Back