• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Sizes (split from focus campaign)

I just can't agree to the viewpoint that cramming animals in is better just to save them. I am not directing this at CARROT merely at the situation example.

If you are not in rescue maybe you can't understand this, but you can't say yes to everything and you have to have limits. There may be 20 animals that need rescuing, but if you can't provide adequate accomodation for them, it's not fair to them.

It is my experience that rescues often get together to help in these circumstances, so it's not usually a case of these animals will be destroyed unless one person takes them in, so I just don't see that as a valid argument.

I have a waiting list and have to turn people down for immediate spaces, so are you saying we should line our gardens with 4ft hutches just to pack them all in and keep buying new ones every time the phone rings with someone wanting to rehome a rabbit?

I disagree with this :? sorry guys, don't hate me. But if the choice is 20 bunnies being saved and put in 4ft cages, or 10 bunnies saved and put in bigger cages, I would go for saving 20 bunnies every time. I know it's not as clear cut as this, but it seems pretty clear to me that we are all about saving bunnies at the end of the day. Even if in a small space for a while, at a rescue a bun would be fed, cleaned watered, exercised, and get vet treatment, all things it might not otherwise get.

I agree with you 100%. I personally think the rabbit's health is the most important therefore if there are 10 rabbits that were badly neglected and in appalling states but they can be saved by going into a rescue with 4ft hutches and a run attached. - That is best for them because so they will all be treated, live in clean and friendly environment, with water and food and to be loved.

I think that is the most important as it means they will not suffer towards to the end of their lives unless they go into rescues like Carrots (I think? :?) Where they will have a better life than they previously had and I am sure the people who works at the rescue will work hard to find a loving and better homes for them. Surely this much better and ideal for these rabbits rather than leaving them to suffer - just because the accommodation isn't suitable according most people's thoughts. Accommodation isn't necessary important especially if they are going to be treated by a vet, fed and water.

In addition, if they have a permanent attached run, which I think they do - then the rabbit will have the choice of being sheltered or to be kept warm by simply entering into the 4ft hutches but at least they have the space and room in the run to stretch and stand.

I feel sorry for Bunnyhugger because I personally do not think she deserved all of the agro from some of you about your thoughts of 4ft hutches when she has got them in her rescue. You should be thankful that she is committed of rescuing rabbits and providing a better life for rabbits and is dedicated to find loving homes for her rescued rabbits. If she wasn’t here how many more rabbits would be suffering or suffered?

I could not thank enough for her of doing this whether if she does not have the ‘right accommodation’ but at least she’s got her priorities right of providing the right care for the rabbits rather than putting them in one of the ‘biggest hutch’ she’s got.

Haven't read all posts. As I understand this is a debate over whether a rescue should use 4ft hutches?
Of course they should. They are temporary, let's be realistic.
For giants, other accomodation, which Lynda's rescue obviously has.
I don't see the issue.
About the Focus hutches.... the only reason they should be stopped is because they are being sold to dimwits, were they will shove their bunny in there ad it will be a prison. If they only sold to rescues, then there wouldn't be an issue, as they know the requirements for a bunny etc. and willl provide run space, (not to say a dimwit won't......more like the rescue will dedicate).

I would just like to add that we have rehomed bunnies from rescues all over the country, some good and some bad and we can honestly say we don't recall seeing any 6 x 2 x 2 hutches in any of them :?
)

Actually this has annoyed me slightly as you rehomed Dumpling off me, you didn't actually come and see our set up (you arranged a bunny run) as you would of seen that we do provide the RSPCA standard, plus hutches all have runs. You're basically implying I don't provide proper space when in fact I do :?

ETA to say not annoyed slightly actually quite a lot :?

Last edited:
Actually this has annoyed me slightly as you rehomed Dumpling off me, you didn't actually come and see our set up (you arranged a bunny run) as you would of seen that we do provide the RSPCA standard, plus hutches all have runs. You're basically implying I don't provide proper space when in fact I do :?

Sorry :oops: I know Dumpling was in a lovely playhouse at Stephs :)

We were thinking of the ones we have actually visited to collect the buns from, as we obviously can't comment on the ones we haven't visited

Really didn't mean to upset you Tree as I know you have spent a fortune on your rescue accomodation :)

:censored: This is awful!! The forum has had a fair few fights on here recently, but when it gets to the point that we are insulting and upsetting rescues, I think we should all be ashamed AND think long and hard about why we come here.

I'm not having a go at Hugo' There AT ALL, I think the point she was making is that all rescues do a good job, despite the fact their TEMPORARY hutches might not be up to the standards they themselves request of the people they rehome to, which I agree with.

But, if we start upsetting rescues it might make them think twice about doing the valuable work they do, or it might make them think twice about coming on the forum, which would be a sad loss to us all.

Also, if we start upsetting people like the moderators and administrators, without whom the forum couldn't exist, then remember that we run the very real risk of losing the forum altogether :?

Sorry it's me :oops:, I am a bit up and down today :oops::oops:. I thought Liz meant all, not ones she's visited, not that I am bothered what people think of me set up, because I knwo I do what I think is right, I just didn't want to be thought of as a liar :oops:.

Sorry it's me :oops:, I am a bit up and down today :oops::oops:. I thought Liz meant all, not ones she's visited, not that I am bothered what people think of me set up, because I knwo I do what I think is right, I just didn't want to be thought of as a liar :oops:.

I still stand by what I said though. As I said, Hugo's There was sticking up for rescues. But there are people on here who have directly insulted and upset rescues, and I for one think that's appalling.

I still stand by what I said though. As I said, Hugo's There was sticking up for rescues. But there are people on here who have directly insulted and upset rescues, and I for one think that's appalling.

I was definately sticking up for rescues :)

I wasn't criticising them for having smaller accommodation at all, if that was the case I would be a complete hypocrite as not all my bunnies have huge accomodation because for some of them it would not be in there best interests.

My point was that most rescues own and use 4ft hutches when necessary so if that is peoples arguement that they are a bad rescue.... well :?

The majority of rescues do an amazing job in very difficult circumstances and I we should all be supporting them not finding ways of bringing them down :)

The majority of rescues do an amazing job in very difficult circumstances and I we should all be supporting them not finding ways of bringing them down :)

Definitely!!

However, this thread was originally started for a good reason, and I think it should either get back to that or be locked.

I have to say that I agree that 4ft hutches are not to be recommended as permenant accomodation but as a temporary measure, where a rabbit will be fed, watered, cleaned regularly and receive veterinary attention and an opportunity to excercise daily then I think that is fine. In an ideal world this wouldn't be necessary but in an ideal world so many rescue spaces would not be needed. A 4ft safe and clean home is a lot more than many of the rescue animals have enjoyed throughout their lives.

I personally think that a 4ft hutch (as long as it's 2 ft wide + at least 2 ft high) is not too bad in itself as long as buns can come and go when they please and it is only used as a sleeping area. Bigger would be better (mine have a 6ft x 3ft shed so I'm not defending it because it is part of my set up) but we have to be realistic about what is available, it would be better for the extra money to be spent on a larger run than on a hutch being a couple of feet bigger as overall space is not really going to be increased by much for the extra money spent.

I think however that rescues should try and set an example to people wherever possible and I personally think that a 4ft hutch attached to a 6ft run isn't big enough for a pair of buns to be housed permanently and this should be made clear. I think this is mainly important to those rescues that allow the public to visit just for a nice day out as those are the ones that can re-educate people to look after their own buns well.

Haven't read all posts. As I understand this is a debate over whether a rescue should use 4ft hutches?
Of course they should. They are temporary, let's be realistic.
For giants, other accomodation, which Lynda's rescue obviously has.
I don't see the issue.
About the Focus hutches.... the only reason they should be stopped is because they are being sold to dimwits, were they will shove their bunny in there ad it will be a prison. If they only sold to rescues, then there wouldn't be an issue, as they know the requirements for a bunny etc. and willl provide run space, (not to say a dimwit won't......more like the rescue will dedicate).

This is spot on. Well put :wave: Think SOME people on here should be slightly more realistic too. :evil: Just out of interest a few things to think about the next time someone tries to put a rescue down for there accomadation:-
1. how many rabbits that end up in a rescue have come from a kind and loving home where they are happy and content with loads of space and freedom.??? not many i would think somehow
2. how much does it cost to run a rescue in money and in time? We should be praising these people not putting them down
And finally if anyone thinks they could do better than some of the current rescues around the country at the moment... then maybe they should try it. I worked at a local rescue voluntering and it is alot of hard work, Yes the rabbits were in small hutches with runs attached but the amount of love they got was priceless. Probably more than some of them had ever come across.

So i would like to finish by saying well done to all rescues and rescue workers if it wasn't for you people there would be a lot of animals suffering. :love::love: Back to the Focus issue. I agree the hutches are small and yes some fools with get rabbits and put them in them with no run attached and leave them there for long periods of time...... But would we do that no!! and the only way i can see something being done about it is through word of mouth by voicing are concerns to people and trying to spread are knowledge of what would be more suitable when the oppertunity arises..... Lets be honest if we wanted to get into what is right and wrong for bunnies i would say one of the first things needed is signs saying 'NOT suitable for young children' 'Not suitable for people with no time to show the animal love etc etc etc.... hope you see where i am coming from.... yes things aren't perfect but we can't protect all bunnies :cry:

I dont agree with rabbits living in 4ft hutchs with no run,I dont see a problem with a 4ft hutch used as a base attached to a permant run for use at a rescue
Mine have a 4ft hutch inside there run,am i a bad owner?:?
000_1021.jpg

000_1020.jpg

I dont agree with rabbits living in 4ft hutchs with no run,I dont see a problem with a 4ft hutch used as a base attached to a permant run for use at a rescue
Mine have a 4ft hutch inside there run,am i a bad owner?:?
000_1021.jpg

000_1020.jpg

THIS is exactly the point i was trying to make. I am totally against as are CARROT as squashing bunnies into a 4 foot hutch with nothing else. However i think the overall space should be addressed as the "hutch" is nothing more than a base as the runs are attached. I think the video bunnyhugger did is explanation itself of what these buns have. No buns are in hutches alone - and also they now have much bigger ones for the buns - the point i think bunnyhugger was making was they served their purpose at that time. I think if awareness is made that on its own a 4 foot hutch is not any use im all for for that. But what puzzles me a little is its like saying you can have a bun in a 6"2"2 hutch with no run - and that is better than say for instance having one in a 4 foot hutch with (purely example) an attached run of 6 foot or something. In a hutch the buns can only hop in one direction - with overall space they can hope in every direction.
I think its great however that people are highlighting rabbits should NOT be in a 4 foot hutch where they cant stand up etc. I am not like previously stated saying that a 4 foot (alone) is perfectly fine.

THIS is exactly the point i was trying to make. I am totally against as are CARROT as squashing bunnies into a 4 foot hutch with nothing else. However i think the overall space should be addressed as the "hutch" is nothing more than a base as the runs are attached. I think the video bunnyhugger did is explanation itself of what these buns have. No buns are in hutches alone - and also they now have much bigger ones for the buns - the point i think bunnyhugger was making was they served their purpose at that time. I think if awareness is made that on its own a 4 foot hutch is not any use im all for for that. But what puzzles me a little is its like saying you can have a bun in a 6"2"2 hutch with no run - and that is better than say for instance having one in a 4 foot hutch with (purely example) an attached run of 6 foot or something. In a hutch the buns can only hop in one direction - with overall space they can hope in every direction.
I think its great however that people are highlighting rabbits should NOT be in a 4 foot hutch where they cant stand up etc. I am not like previously stated saying that a 4 foot (alone) is perfectly fine.

My rabbits dont actually use the hutch (well shadow has the last 2 days for shade) which proves there better off with an attached run

Back