Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    Is hay more difficult to eat than grass? Because Casper's eating his grass really well, but he's still barely touching his hay. I've only seen him eat hay twice since his dental, and that was only a little bit. I think something might still be bothering him.
    Idk I haven’t tried eating either of them I think sometimes with teeth/ulcers or other mouth issues it must be the texture or the eating action required that makes some foods more palatable or not before and after dentals. Did he have any soft tissue damage? I think he’s on metacam is he? I’m pretty sure I’ve read that eating grass should wear down the teeth as well as hay but they do need to be eating plenty of it I suppose. Topping up the vibes xx

Grass is just as good as hay and the silica content of grass is excellent for Dental attrition

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

Primrose used to prefer her fresh stuff after a dental and the hay was always the last thing she went back to. I used to get a different type to tempt her, like meadow or orchard and gift her a little handful every so often.

I always wondered if hay needed more chewing etc or if fresh is comfier because its a bit wet.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

All mine have always preferred grass really, I just need to drum it into the OH to pick some when he's getting the shrubby stuff! It might be that the water content is helping soothe something, or just that it's not digging into sore bits
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Thank you for your replies, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Idk I havenít tried eating either of them I think sometimes with teeth/ulcers or other mouth issues it must be the texture or the eating action required that makes some foods more palatable or not before and after dentals. Did he have any soft tissue damage? I think heís on metacam is he? Iím pretty sure Iíve read that eating grass should wear down the teeth as well as hay but they do need to be eating plenty of it I suppose. Topping up the vibes xx
    Maybe I should try? What you say makes a lot of sense. Grass does seem a lot softer than hay? He didn't have any soft tissue damage before the dental, and they didn't say he had any afterwards, so I'm assuming he doesn't. But, yes, he is on Metacam. If I could grow enough grass to keep him going I guess it wouldn't be such a problem, but, yeah, he'd need to eat plenty of it, and I don't have enough space to grow that much, so he'll still need to eat hay... Thank you for the vibes. I really appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Grass is just as good as hay and the silica content of grass is excellent for Dental attrition
    Ah, that's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by CarelessSquid07 View Post
    Primrose used to prefer her fresh stuff after a dental and the hay was always the last thing she went back to. I used to get a different type to tempt her, like meadow or orchard and gift her a little handful every so often.

I always wondered if hay needed more chewing etc or if fresh is comfier because its a bit wet.

Yes, I'm wondering those same things... Casper's the same as Primrose was; he'll eat fresh stuff first after a dental, and hay is the last thing. He doesn't seem to be there yet, though. I keep offering him hay, but he's not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    All mine have always preferred grass really, I just need to drum it into the OH to pick some when he's getting the shrubby stuff! It might be that the water content is helping soothe something, or just that it's not digging into sore bits
    Grass does seem nicer to eat than hay, really, doesn't it? But that makes sense, yes, that the water content might be soothing, or that it doesn't dig into sore bits like hay would. Hay must be uncomfortable to eat if you have a sore mouth, now that I think about it...
    (Pronouns: he or they)

I've been feeling terrible because of my ME all week, so I've been quiet, but I wanted to give a little update and say that Casper is still barely touching his hay. He's happy and active and doesn't act like something's bothering him, and he's eating everything else just fine, but I see him eat only a few strands of hay per day at most. So, I think I'll call the vets on Monday and see if they can check if something else in his mouth/head is still bothering him. I don't think I'll be able to go myself, but hopefully my dad can take him and I can talk with the vet over the phone, like we've done in the past.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

I'm on vacation so I can't be very interested in the forum. I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sending too many vibrations for Casper. Xxxxxxx
    Loneliness is a deaf friend,
    In time you forget your own voice..

I'm sorry you've been feeling so rubbish this week Hoping you'll be feeling better. I'm sorry Casper isn't eating much hay atm. are his poops ok?

I'm sorry you and Casper are struggling. Sending lots for vibes.

Casper might need a longer course of dental painkillers maybe?

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry you are struggling with ME at the moment. Is Casper eating grass? If he is and his poops are fine, I wouldn't stress about it too much I don't think. Is his weight OK?