• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible EC

Moonstone

Warren Scout
Archie has just had a night in hospital, Millie with him for company, and this morning I've been told they think it's EC. It's not something I have ever dealt with before.

He has gut stasis too, and is responding well to treatment for that but there was a lot of urine on him, which I told them isn't normal. And when I syringe fed him I saw he'd left some drops of pee on the floor.

He doesn't have tilted head but they are saying they saw some eye flickering on two occasions and circling. So it seems I missed some things but they always circle me so I'm not sure of the difference? What does the eye flickering look like?

He is having an X-ray to look for kidney stones and a culture done of his urine. They are talking about sedating him this afternoon for another x-ray and scan and to take more urine (they found bacteria in the first urine but it was inconclusive because it had been in contact with his skin).

They say he needs four weeks of treatment (as does Millie) but will he will not recover from the damage already done. I'm wondering what this all means. Are there any questions in particular I should be asking? I said that because he's small (mini lop) and old (8 1/2) I wasn't sure about the sedation. It's hard to know what's best when something is suddenly dropped on you and you aren't feeling well informed (but thank you for the health conditions sticky thread). Is he going to pee on himself for the rest of his life and how do I do take care of him if he does? So many unknowns!

Oh and I imagine I have to disinfect a 7' x 5' shed, five Runaround tunnels and two pens, one paved one grass? They said both rabbits might be coming home today.

The ‘eye flicking’ is called Nystagmus. The eye balls flick from side to side, up and down or rotational. It sometimes only happens when Bunny moves, sometimes all the time, depending on the primary cause and the part of the brain being effected.

The gut stasis is probably a secondary symptom of EC.

EC effects the central nervous system, the kidneys and the lenses of the eyes.

EC can be spread via spores in the urine of an infected Rabbit. So yes, all areas that are likely to be urine contaminated need to be disinfected using a 10%bleach solution or a steam cleaner. Steam kills EC spores.

This article gives detailed information about EC

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES ON LINK*

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...phalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits.pdf

Thank you, InspectorMorse.

I'm a bundle of nerves today. I've been looking at videos of bunnies going round in circles and the eye flicking and honestly haven't seen either.

I spoke to the vet again, I think you're right about the stasis being secondary. He is pooing and nibbling but not enough yet. The X-ray was good though, and the scan, no kidney stones, no sludginess. He is on an antibiotic in case he has a urinary infection and he has started EC treatment. I'm going to get a decision at 6pm as to whether they are coming home today.

But the blood test result for EC isn't back yet and it will take 5-7 days to get a culture from his urine.

I asked about disinfecting their enclosure and she said not to worry about it yet, we'll deal with it when we have to but there's still a chance he could have a negative result.

She also said the stasis and the possible EC were caught early and it makes a big difference. She'd been reading back through my rabbits' notes and she said it's always a relief to deal with an owner like me, they get so many who don't know what they're doing, but she knows I'm on the ball. It was nice to hear that because I have wondering why I didn't see it sooner.

Really sorry to hear about Archie, I don't have any experience of EC, but sending lots of vibes for him, and Millie too xx

Thank you, it's good to be able to write here because I know you understand even though you don't know my bunnies.

They are staying where they are for another night. They think I will have the EC result by the end of the week. His other bloods have come back all normal. His kidneys and liver look fine., electrolytes etc normal. The only thing that concerned me is his white cells aren't raised which implies he isn't fighting an infection which would make the EC a more likely explanation but it is really good news that about the kidneys and liver so he is getting early treatment.

They said I can visit them tonight, I want to see them so much! I'm going to take some favourite foods.

I assume they have already started on EC treatment. Panacur oral daily for 28 days to reduce the internal parasite loading. Metacam or similar NSAID (oral, daily) reduces the effect the parasite has on the nervous system, and hence the symptoms (head tilt, back leg weakness, etc). The eye flickering may go on its own or may need separate treatment (eg Stemetil).

Spores from the EC parasite are passed in the urine, which results in a cycle of reinfection when they are ingested by a rabbit again. It would be sensible to disinfect weekly anything in contact with urine and feet (days 21 and 28 of the treatment cycle are usually quoted, as that interrupts the lifecycle of the parasite).

I assume they have already started on EC treatment. Panacur oral daily for 28 days to reduce the internal parasite loading. Metacam or similar NSAID (oral, daily) reduces the effect the parasite has on the nervous system, and hence the symptoms (head tilt, back leg weakness, etc). The eye flickering may go on its own or may need separate treatment (eg Stemetil).

Spores from the EC parasite are passed in the urine, which results in a cycle of reinfection when they are ingested by a rabbit again. It would be sensible to disinfect weekly anything in contact with urine and feet (days 21 and 28 of the treatment cycle are usually quoted, as that interrupts the lifecycle of the parasite).

Thank you, Shimmer.

Yes, he is on 28 days of Panacur, and Millie is to take 9 days of it (she has no symptoms). He is also on Metacam, plus Ranitidine and Cisapride for a few days to make sure he is still eating. And Baytril, an antibiotic, in case he had a UTI, the result isn't back yet. I hadn't heard about disinfecting at 21 days and 28 days, that's useful, thank you. Apparently, any disinfectant will do but I asked what the vet uses and it's Anigene. I collected them today, Archie is eating but Millie isn't now! Hopefully she'll relax a bit soon. I'm keeping them indoors for now, so I plan to do a big clean of their shed and runs while they aren't using them. Not sure how to clean a Runaround tunnel, I suppose either steam cleaning or soaking in the bath. I will lay some fresh grass in their grassy run.

Right now they're in a run indoors and I think I'll do twice daily litter tray changes and clean any urine anywhere else as soon as I see it. I should probably do a through clean when Millie ends the treatment, as well as the 21 and 28 days. I'm not sure when I'll be putting them back out but they'll have to stay in their shed/balcony if it's before the 28 days are up or Archie will be hiding in a tunnel at medication times. I'm also going to stop kissing them to be on the safe side, as I have M.E. and long covid.

I've found a few vet herbalists, I think I'll choose one to provide an addition to the treatment. I would like their immunity strengthened and also to de-stress them since they've been through a lot. I'm off to feed them now, fingers crossed.

For the tunnel - can you spray with some disinfectant, leave for the recommended time, then rinse out (depending on hosepipe ban)? Bleach or Virkon S both work on EC. Virkon may be used on fabrics & soft furnishings - but check on a small patch first. Steam cleaning is also effective.

EC spores can survive for months in the environment, so treating the grass is awkward. Carefully removing and replacing it may work.

Thank you. Yes, I think spray and rinse might be a good approach for tunnels.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/disinfectants/

I found the chart on the chart above useful, it says Virkon and Anigene are more gentle and safe but have to be left on for longer, and Anigene for twice as long as Virkon.

I can see what you mean about the grass, I could disturb spores that would spread anyway. I am also considered about the nearby mice and what they might be spreading.

Personally, I leave any areas of grass with known EC contamination for several months (or as long as possible) before allowing rabbits on it again. I leave a spare old run over the top of it so nothing can accidentally go across it, and use a completely different area of the garden for the rabbits - but I have the space to do that. It depends on your set up as to what is most appropriate for you, though. Grass is always going to be an issue, but you can minimise the risk. It's also an issue if you ever consider boarding your rabbits - anyone that uses grass runs can't disinfect them and stop EC contamination between guests.

Okay. That is doable. The grass bits are a big mesh tunnel and small 4' x 2' pen. Their big pen is on hard standing. The grass pen actually has the turf growing in a 4' x 2' tray so I think I'll remove the tray and chuck and contents before I begin cleaning. There isn't a lot of lawn in that part of the garden so I have another tray with new grass growing in it, I use them in rotation to give the grass a chance to recover from the nibbling and pooing - but I will chuck out what's in that one too.

The mesh tunnel part is harder, that's the place I was thinking of laying new lawn. Inside the shed I have two mini hutches joined together and the one at the back has an exit that leads right out of the shed, it's their backdoor and if I close it off they won't feel as safe. I probably need to join it up another way so it doesn't go over grass. But it's a nightmare trying to give a bunny meds when they are hiding in a tunnel so I won't let them use them for a month anyway.

Yes, I opted against using a boarder who uses grass. These days I don't board them at all, I have someone come to them and there's a rule about not wearing shoes in the shed. I wish I knew how he caught it, we don't have any wild rabbits in our garden. I have a wildlife cam and haven't seen any, nor are there any droppings.

Thanks for your help.

EC is very common. Many rabbits have it but never show symptoms until they are stressed in some way. I've had one of a trio several show symptoms several times (ie one out of different trios over the years). You just learn to look out for the signs and treat with Panacur as soon as you see them. There's not much else you can do, apart from regular cleaning & waste disposal. I routinely clean with a bleach solution weekly, and allow to air dry. All wood is painted so urine (and EC spores) can't soak in. It all helps to reduce the incidence of disease spreading, including EC. I keep Virkon in for when I know I need additional / higher level disinfection.

Okay. That is doable. The grass bits are a big mesh tunnel and small 4' x 2' pen. Their big pen is on hard standing. The grass pen actually has the turf growing in a 4' x 2' tray so I think I'll remove the tray and chuck and contents before I begin cleaning. There isn't a lot of lawn in that part of the garden so I have another tray with new grass growing in it, I use them in rotation to give the grass a chance to recover from the nibbling and pooing - but I will chuck out what's in that one too.

The mesh tunnel part is harder, that's the place I was thinking of laying new lawn. Inside the shed I have two mini hutches joined together and the one at the back has an exit that leads right out of the shed, it's their backdoor and if I close it off they won't feel as safe. I probably need to join it up another way so it doesn't go over grass. But it's a nightmare trying to give a bunny meds when they are hiding in a tunnel so I won't let them use them for a month anyway.

Yes, I opted against using a boarder who uses grass. These days I don't board them at all, I have someone come to them and there's a rule about not wearing shoes in the shed. I wish I knew how he caught it, we don't have any wild rabbits in our garden. I have a wildlife cam and haven't seen any, nor are there any droppings.

Thanks for your help.

EC is usually contracted whilst the kits are still in the Doe’s uterus. The actual parasite is shed relatively quickly but leaves behind dormant spores which circulate in the bloodstream of any kit who had the parasite. The spores only cause problems if they become ‘active’ ie erupt and enter the cells of the CNS, the kidney, the lenses of the eyes. That is when clinical symptoms present as cellular damage occurs. Spores can be shed in the infected Rabbit’s urine and this can pass the disease on to other Rabbits.

The article I posted previously explains the pathogenesis of EC. It is likely your Rabbit contracted it before being born. It isn’t the actual parasite that causes the symptoms but the spores the parasite leaves behind.

GRAPHIC IMAGES INCLUDED

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...phalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits.pdf

Last edited:
Oh. Oh, his Mum died when he was six weeks old. They aren't even supposed to be separated until they are 8 weeks but when he was handed to me he was small enough to sit on one hand. I was told she'd had an infection.

Oh. Oh, his Mum died when he was six weeks old. They aren't even supposed to be separated until they are 8 weeks but when he was handed to me he was small enough to sit on one hand. I was told she'd had an infection.

You probably have your answer then x

Back