Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

It is good news he is improving and now eating pellets. Is he better after syringe feeds?

Confusing indeed - not that confusing is unusual when it comes to rabbits.

I think there is a possibility Casper was poorly from something else & it wasn't his tooth roots bothering him more. When you think of the number of rabbits who go in to stasis (a secondary condition) & they get treatment & get better but the primary cause of stasis was never discovered. We didn't determine why Joey went in to stasis but I like to hope whatever caused it was fully resolved anyway.

Its great to hear he's back to living his best life with beautiful Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    It is good news he is improving and now eating pellets. Is he better after syringe feeds?
    It is. Yeah, he is better after syringe feeds. You'd think he'd be full, but instead he starts eating immediately after I've fed him? It's like the syringe-feeding makes him hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Confusing indeed - not that confusing is unusual when it comes to rabbits.

I think there is a possibility Casper was poorly from something else & it wasn't his tooth roots bothering him more. When you think of the number of rabbits who go in to stasis (a secondary condition) & they get treatment & get better but the primary cause of stasis was never discovered. We didn't determine why Joey went in to stasis but I like to hope whatever caused it was fully resolved anyway.

Its great to hear he's back to living his best life with beautiful Sophie
    Thank you.

You're right, so often they have gut trouble and we never find out what the primary cause was... The vets last week did both say that his guts were too slow, but we all assumed it was because he wasn't eating well, but maybe the slow guts caused him to not be hungry instead, though why his guts were slow in the first place, who knows... I'm not really sure what has been happening and if his tooth roots are being a problem or not.

I got a reply from the vets and they think his weird poops are possibly because he's still not eating enough, or not eating the same things as usual, and they said to keep an eye on it. So, I'll see if they get better when he hopefully starts eating more.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

I'm glad he's seeming better. I think I've read somewhere that syringe feeding can stimulate appetite so to always have something tasty on hand afterwards.

Rodney had an episode over a year ago where his guts were at half speed even on all the gut meds and metacam for about a month.

He did need a dental but also had bladder sludge and having that flushed seemed to make a massive difference but the stasis remained for a good month after. We weaned him off syringe feeds and meds very slowly.

We did wonder if the stress of treatment and our stress prolonged the stasis.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CarelessSquid07 View Post
    I'm glad he's seeming better. I think I've read somewhere that syringe feeding can stimulate appetite so to always have something tasty on hand afterwards.

Rodney had an episode over a year ago where his guts were at half speed even on all the gut meds and metacam for about a month.

He did need a dental but also had bladder sludge and having that flushed seemed to make a massive difference but the stasis remained for a good month after. We weaned him off syringe feeds and meds very slowly.

We did wonder if the stress of treatment and our stress prolonged the stasis.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Thank you. Ah, that would explain it, then! I gave him a sunflower and some pellets last night after I fed him, but he instead went to eat some hay.

Oh, gosh, a month! Poor Rodney. That makes sense that the discomfort of the bladder sludge (plus needing a dental) made him unwell... But then his guts were still slow for a good month; that's a long time. I can see the stress of the treatment and everything maybe prolonging it... they're so sensitive to stress, aren't they? Thankfully Casper doesn't seem to be very stressed. Syringe feeding is going better now that I've switched from Recovery to Critical Care. He really doesn't like Recovery.

I’m glad Casper is doing better it must be a big relief

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    Syringe feeding is going better now that I've switched from Recovery to Critical Care. He really doesn't like Recovery.
    IMO Critical Care looks and smells nicer as well :S But it's been a few years since I needed to use it :touches wood:

I'm gong to agree with everyone else that quantity and size and any output is good, maybe he just needs time to get back to normal, and that might simply be an age thing. Like when you hit 30 and suddenly little cuts take a week to heal, whereas before it might take a day or so.
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    IMO Critical Care looks and smells nicer as well :S But it's been a few years since I needed to use it :touches wood:

I'm gong to agree with everyone else that quantity and size and any output is good, maybe he just needs time to get back to normal, and that might simply be an age thing. Like when you hit 30 and suddenly little cuts take a week to heal, whereas before it might take a day or so.
    Yeah, I agree! Critical Care smells pretty nice, I think, compared to Recovery!

Ah, that's very possible, yes, that at his age things just take longer to get back to normal... I hadn't considered that.

Casper's still doing well today, but a bit less well than yesterday. He's not eating as much, though it's a small difference. He hasn't gotten an injection today, and I'm not sure if that's the reason, or if there's a different reason, since he's only eating a little less on his own. It's all really getting to Sophie, though, and she's back to not eating as much as usual. Her poops are still good, but I'm keeping a close eye on her and encouraging her to eat more, and if she doesn't get better I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    It is. Yeah, he is better after syringe feeds. You'd think he'd be full, but instead he starts eating immediately after I've fed him? It's like the syringe-feeding makes him hungry.

Thank you.

You're right, so often they have gut trouble and we never find out what the primary cause was... The vets last week did both say that his guts were too slow, but we all assumed it was because he wasn't eating well, but maybe the slow guts caused him to not be hungry instead, though why his guts were slow in the first place, who knows... I'm not really sure what has been happening and if his tooth roots are being a problem or not.

I got a reply from the vets and they think his weird poops are possibly because he's still not eating enough, or not eating the same things as usual, and they said to keep an eye on it. So, I'll see if they get better when he hopefully starts eating more.
    His eating after syringe feeds is what I experience with Raven too. Eating increases gut motility, plus syringe feeds add fluid to gi; so my theory is he wants to eat more as motility improves. It is also why his not eating probably caused gut slowdown which contributed to his eating issues.

Sending vibes for Casper.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 30-09-2021 at 06:51 AM.

You're right to be worried about Casper's health changing over the course of the day. It's really hard, but you're looking at him very carefully. I hope he eats and poops more, I'm sending a lot of vibrations for him xxxxxx