• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help: Bunny fast breathing

I'm a bit late to this thread, but so pleased that your bunny seems to be responding to the meds, and I hope that continues. Bunnies do love to worry us sometimes ! Sending loads more vibes for a complete recovery xxx

He is eating loads of hay. Just got him out of cage to do meds and he has eating all his pellets for night aswell. Something he hasn't done in ages!

We put him on a diet as he had a bit of a tummy. He had been on a growth food since a kit and probably eating too much veg so put him on Excel plus cut veggies down and treats. And he is eating everything in sight now and eating much more hay.

Yes two vets said his teeth were fine. Last vet said hooks were just starting on his cheek teeth. So maybe can see how it goes? Don't want him having anaesthetic without good reason.

Baytril course was 10 days so we have another 5 days to go yet. So do you think it would be best to finish this first and arrange check up with vets after Xmas then to discuss if he needs an X-ray?

He is back being a pickle dashing around room and managed to knock a drink off table being nosy already this morning! Hence his name! [emoji23]

We will be sorting out vet insurance as soon as vet says he has the all clear! Not going through this stress again worrying that can't afford to get him best care!!

Thank you for your help. So happy he is looking better again.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I would hold off any diagnostics that require a GA until he has completed his treatment.

With Insurance, any pre-existing condition will be excluded from a Policy taken out now. So you will almost certainly find that no Insurance Company will cover him for any condition related to respiratory tract problems

Mischief is breathing faster than ever. I can hardly count his breaths they are so fast. It's so upsetting [emoji24]

Have booked him with vets in morning to assess situation. Wish him luck please. I'm very worried now...

Thank you so much. I'm waiting for out of hours vet to ring me back. He is only on 1ml of Loxicom twice a day and wondering if he is in any pain and whether we can give him higher dose? At least until we see vets in morning. Hate idea of him suffering :(

I'm really sorry Mischief has had a setback. The accelerated breathing could be pain related as I've seen it with my buns when they've had abdominal pain.

I hope the OOH vet can figure out what's wrong and help Mischief x

I'm really sorry Mischief has had a setback. The accelerated breathing could be pain related as I've seen it with my buns when they've had abdominal pain.

I hope the OOH vet can figure out what's wrong and help Mischief x
Oh really? Was it REALLY fast? His breathing slows down and he seems better and runs around binkying.He is eating well and seems fine otherwise. Then it gets faster again and he seems stressed.

I don't wish pain on him obviously but would much rather it was something that can be sorted out. I know buns hide their illness until it gets bad so I wonder if the baytril just isn't strong enough to get rid of his ear infection.

You have given me hope that he may get well again. Will keep everyone updated. Thank you to you all! I am a new member and you have really welcomed me and helped a lot.

I wouldn't say it was really, really fast, just faster than normal. Very similar to the fast breathing they do when they're at the vet and stressed.

With regards to the ear infection and the baytril, I had a bun who had ear abscesses in both ears and we had to put him on a long course of injectable penicillin, which is a heavy duty antibiotic. Unfortunately baytril just wasn't doing anything against the infection. So it might be worth asking the vet about penicillin, although some vets are reluctant to prescribe it as it's fatal if ingested by rabbits so carries a small amount of risk.

Just something that occurred to me. Does Mischief's breathing settle down just after he's had his loxicom dose and does it speed up before the next dose is due? Just thinking out loud whether there's a noticeable pattern which could point towards pain being the trigger for the fast breathing.

His is really fast. 140 breaths a minute at mo. His breathing isn't noisy just shallow fast breathing :(

We saw a vet who was going to put him on a different antibiotic if the ear drops didn't work. I don't know which one. But then due to his breathing we took him back the next day and saw a locum vet who just prescribed Baytril again. Only half the dose of before and quarter of the painkiller dose. Tried to explain Baytril wasn't working but he said he wasn't happy prescribing a different one as you said.

Just seemed a bit pointless to me plus it used up all our funds we had. We have since borrowed off family but they sent a cheque in post! And with Xmas it won't clear for days!!

Just could not happen at a worse time as vets are open short hours aswell and emergency vets are a train ride away! And with bank holidays there will be little hope getting to them.

Haven't noticed any real change with Loxicom but he was on 1 ml twice a day. As it's his 3rd week on that I'm reluctant to give him more. Just checked with out of hours vet and they said just to keep him quiet until morning.

I won't sleep much tonight again :(

It can be a bit frustrating dealing with locum vets as in my experience they tend to be very conservative with prescribing meds when in many cases you really need them to be more proactive.

I understand how you feel right now, I can never sleep for worry whenever my buns are unwell. If it's any consolation, the fact he's still eating well indicates to me that the loxicom is keeping any pain he might be having at manageable levels for him.

Yes it's very frustrating. Even more so as don't have the funds to just get him checked out quicker.

I know ear infections can be really painful. I've experienced pain first hand enough to know that paracetemol/ibuprofen sometimes just isn't enough!

Thank you for your support. It's good to talk to another friendly bunny mum at times like this [emoji6]

Thank you. He is eating fine. In fact he is being a piggy wiggy as usual so I hope that's a good sign [emoji46]

Back