• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bertie off his food

I'm afraid Bertie is no better. A couple of sips of water only. He has moved about a few times but sti no output. I'll be phoning the vet as soon as they open. I haven't given any more syringe feeds and the two I did give were very watery. Haven't slept all night!

Oh no, I am sorry to hear this :cry: I really hope he has not got a full obstruction. Hopefully the Vet will run all diagnostics deemed to be necessary (blood glucose, abdominal Xray) and start him on IV fluids. The latter can make the world of difference as the impacted digested matter in his GI tract needs rehydrating to enable it to be broken down and start to pass through. So maxing out on fluids (IV and Oral) always helps, alongside analgesia and any other medication the Vet considers to be necessary. Cisapride may be more effective than just Metoclopramide. They can be given together as mentioned on page 4 on this link :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Sending lots more vibes xx

I'm afraid Bertie is no better. A couple of sips of water only. He has moved about a few times but sti no output. I'll be phoning the vet as soon as they open. I haven't given any more syringe feeds and the two I did give were very watery. Haven't slept all night!

I hope you can get a little rest, though it can be hard to rest when you are so worried. He may need some more pain meds, or a different pain med. Vet may want to give Bertie Sub Q or IV fluids too.
Pain meds and fluids can help a lot. If vet rules out any obstruction then the syringe feeds will also stimulate his gut to move enough to eliminate any fecal matter/gas.
We are here for you.

Oh no, I am sorry to hear this :cry: I really hope he has not got a full obstruction. Hopefully the Vet will run all diagnostics deemed to be necessary (blood glucose, abdominal Xray) and start him on IV fluids. The latter can make the world of difference as the impacted digested matter in his GI tract needs rehydrating to enable it to be broken down and start to pass through. So maxing out on fluids (IV and Oral) always helps, alongside analgesia and any other medication the Vet considers to be necessary. Cisapride may be more effective than just Metoclopramide. They can be given together as mentioned on page 4 on this link :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Sending lots more vibes xx

I should have read Jane's response before I sent mine regarding pain relief and fluids which she already covered nicely along with her always excellent advice.

Update! Bertie started to nibble herbs about 8.30am. I have spoken to his vet who is confident B does not have a blockage. She says I should continue watery syringe feeds a couple of times this morning. If he is still dozy at lunchtime he may be admitted for a couple of hours of IV fluids this afternoon to expediate recovery. He has done at least two poos - I can't be sure about any not in the tray as they could be from earlier. I didn't do a full clean yesterday to avoid stressing him but he did gave a fresh tray.

Update! Bertie started to nibble herbs about 8.30am. I have spoken to his vet who is confident B does not have a blockage. She says I should continue watery syringe feeds a couple of times this morning. If he is still dozy at lunchtime he may be admitted for a couple of hours of IV fluids this afternoon to expediate recovery. He has done at least two poos - I can't be sure about any not in the tray as they could be from earlier. I didn't do a full clean yesterday to avoid stressing him but he did gave a fresh tray.

I really hope that there will be some more poo output soon. Do you know if the Vet gave Bertie an Injection of Buprenorphine (Vetergesic/Buprecare) yesterday ? If so this may account for him being drowsy as the drug is an opiate analgesic and it can cause marked sedation in some Rabbits.

Topping up the vibes for him xx

We have poo! Not much but considering he didn't eat for 24 hours this isn't surprising. Jane, he didn't have that pain relief (he has had it before and reacted badly) but I gave him metacam myself last night.

I would take him for fluids unless he drinks in addition to watery syringe feeds or he passes many more poos.. Dry gut contents are harder to pass than moist ones.
Also ,jane will know for sure, I heard a bunny 's body will take fluid from gi system yet they can appear hydrated.
Lots of vibes for Bertie.

Last edited:
I have spoken to Bertie's vet who thinks it is best for him not to go in for the fluids as the stress could set him back. I am to continue with the watery syringe feeds and encouraging him to drink from his bowl and bottle.

I have spoken to Bertie's vet who thinks it is best for him not to go in for the fluids as the stress could set him back. I am to continue with the watery syringe feeds and encouraging him to drink from his bowl and bottle.
Glad you asked. You may try syringing water too.I think Jane suggested too. Can you float any greens or herbs in a second bowl to encourage drinking? I hear Jane gives lord H peppermint tea too,just a thought.

Vibes on the way for wee Bertie. I'll second the peppermint tea if he'll tolerate it. We had something like that for my bunnies that helped in stasis episodes.

Hope he feels better soon. xxxx

Bertie is now troughing for Scotland! He snacked most of the afternoon then begged for his tea. I am supposed to continue syringe feeds but when this was recommended he wasn't back to eating pellets. Now he is, and even hay. I have tried floating greens in a water bowl, which he does eat although he seemed perplexed at first.

Bertie is now eating well but his poos are tiny! He is currently stuffing his face with hay so I expect output will improve soon.

Wonderful update. Once he rehydrates his poo will be easier to move through.
Eating is always a good sign, though I hope he will give more output later today . Try to get some rest as you must be exhausted.

Back