• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yikes!

Fatfish

Young Bun
Hi all,

Just had a bonding disaster! The buns have met in the bathroom a couple of times now (lots of sniffing each other then hopping away to watch each other from the other side of the room but no aggression) and I decided to give them ago together in the garden. It's Casta and Nancy's territory but Olive has had several good runs in it. Somewhat stupidly I left the chickens out. They normally totally ignore the rabbits and thought it wouldn't hurt for Olive to get a look at them.

Anyway! A full on fight broke out between Olive and Casta, I've not seen such a bust up between rabbits before. Before I could reach them the chickens decided they wanted in on the action and I had four of them piling in on top of the fight. Luckily Olive decided to flatten her self against the floor in her confusion and fear so I scoped her up and Casta vanished behind a bush. Olive was deposisted back inside and I returned to disperse the chickens who all seemed rilied up and ready to rumble. On going to check on Casta she launched her self at me and I'm now sporting a big bruise on my arm. She calmed down and let me pick up up for a cuddle and quick injury check - thankfully nothing.

What now?! This has been a disaster! Does this sound like bonding may not happen or can proper big fights ever be resolved if I slow it right back down? I've heard rabbits often remember bad bonding experiences like this, how can I try to move them forward?

Obviously these bloomin chickens can not be trusted so they will not be allowed to get involved next time!

It isn't going to be easy with 1 rabbit indoors and 2 outside. Now the weather is colder the outdoor 2 can't keep coming indoors as it might upset their respiratory system and the indoor one shouldn't go outside because she probably hasn't got a thick enough coat. The only way would be to risk putting the indoor one outside but where would you bond them. You can't put the indoor one in the shed with the other 2 as they will no doubt attack her. To be fair on the indoor bunny I think you will have to wait until next year. Even if you tried to bond them in the garden it is not neutral as far as the outdoor buns are concerned so another fight is inevitable.

I am worried about Olive moving out in to the shed while it's cold, but I'm also worried about her stuck indoors alone. The outdoor buns only come in for 15 minutes at a time, that shouldn't have too big an effect on them should it? I'm letting Olive hop in and out of the patio doors to investigate the garden. She definately doesn't have a winter coat you're right, it's been praying on my mind since I got her, but she's loving the exercise and variety and hours run in the garden give her. She vanishes for 20 minutes then comes bolting down the garden, in to the house, on to my lap and sticks her over excited face into mine before hurtling head long back out again. I can't take that away from her surely?

I am hoping to move her in to the spare hutch to get everyone used to her precence in the shed. At the moment it's occupied by my ancient guinea pig but he winters in the house (where thereare treats on tap!) and is normally inside untill at least April. The other buns will get used to seeing her in their territory before they are mixed together.

The fact that she will be in a hutch inside the shed won't make any difference to all three getting on when you put them together. It doesn't really work that way.

Back