• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Boo

Thanks JJ - I'll feel her belly too. She shares a litter tray (well 2) with Joe & I've not caught her weeing recently to check. If my groping & tenting raise concerns I might put her in the spare bedroom with a fresh litter tray to monitor her

I used tenting on Aboleth to good effect but she was VERY dehydrated at the time, so I expect it's more reliable the worse it is :S Hope you can get some answers etc. soon :)

I used tenting on Aboleth to good effect but she was VERY dehydrated at the time, so I expect it's more reliable the worse it is :S Hope you can get some answers etc. soon :)

thank you. I hate not being able to help her :( Her skin went back fine but her belly test not so good & we found smaller poo. She has been on project cucumber & wet feed since

Poor Boo - I am sorry that she is still struggling with food. Cucumber to me sounds good if she is eating that - it is high in water so she will get fluids from that. I'm assuming you've tried fresh herbs - parsley, corriander and similar?
Sending billions more vibes for gorgeous Boo and hope that she starts feeling better soon. xx

She's not eating hay but she is eating. Today she has had several saucers of wet recovery food, 3/4 cucumber, some tenderstem broccoli & a couple of urinary support sticks and some wet & dry forage. Increasingly she is mouthing things more & we're getting those dental sneezes too, & pawing her mouth :(I just feel so rotten that she needs a dental but can't have it yet. The fact that Boo (normally) drinks so much water must mean she needs that much.

She is flopped out a lot which I guess is good cos she's settling

Thanks for all your well wishes for my amazing Boo, she's very brave but I wish she didn't have to be

Poor Boobie [emoji17] You're doing really well in finding alternative methods of getting hydration into her.

It must be so frustrating when all your experience is strongly telling you she needs a dental but you can't have it done yet.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

She's not eating hay but she is eating. Today she has had several saucers of wet recovery food, 3/4 cucumber, some tenderstem broccoli & a couple of urinary support sticks and some wet & dry forage. Increasingly she is mouthing things more & we're getting those dental sneezes too, & pawing her mouth :(I just feel so rotten that she needs a dental but can't have it yet. The fact that Boo (normally) drinks so much water must mean she needs that much.

She is flopped out a lot which I guess is good cos she's settling

Thanks for all your well wishes for my amazing Boo, she's very brave but I wish she didn't have to be
Poor baby :'( when can she have the dental? Is it a lack of vet issue? :( you must feel so helpless, sending her a million vibes xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you all & sorry for being such a needy whingebag

Poor baby :'( when can she have the dental? Is it a lack of vet issue? :( you must feel so helpless, sending her a million vibes xx

Thank You. As my vet thinks she has active EC causing the sudden cataract she thinks its to dangerous to stress her body with a GA & dental until treatment has had a chance. As a minimum she wanted her on 7 days of panacur & metacam but the longer we can get her by tat home the better. My vets have always been really quick in giving her a dental when needed, no waiting at all but in this instance its her illness holding her back from getting the op

...not that she presents (to my non medical eyes) as having EC, to me she is presenting as Boo needing the dentist

Graicee - no idea how I managed to quote you & include my reply in that quote

Thank you all & sorry for being such a needy whingebag

You aren’t :shock: that’s what we are all here for. You are here for us in the same way too :love:
To me, you know Boo best, and if she is presenting as she does when she needs a dental, then she probably does need one. Does she like the Ella’s kitchen type baby food? Or maybe you could make purée but when Frosty was pre/post dental I made him a butternut squash purée and recovery food slurry and he also liked the Aldi mamia apples carrots and parsnips pouch baby food which is similar to Ella’s kitchen I think.

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Until Boo can have her Dental can you ask your Vet if she can show you how to give Subcutaneous Fluids ? You could then do this for her at home. It'll help support her renal function (as you know EC can effect the Kidneys) and help to optimise hydration of her gut contents. Not sure if Boo is on Metacam ? If so that's another good reason to give her kidneys as much support as possible. Maybe give the Vet a call today so the daily fluid therapy can be started ASAP and hopefully support her til your Vet feels a Dental can be done. Topping up the vibes for her xx

Until Boo can have her Dental can you ask your Vet if she can show you how to give Subcutaneous Fluids ? You could then do this for her at home. It'll help support her renal function (as you know EC can effect the Kidneys) and help to optimise hydration of her gut contents. Not sure if Boo is on Metacam ? If so that's another good reason to give her kidneys as much support as possible. Maybe give the Vet a call today so the daily fluid therapy can be started ASAP and hopefully support her til your Vet feels a Dental can be done. Topping up the vibes for her xx
Yes! This is a great idea, or if you don't wanna do sq, ear catheter maybe? :)

Back