• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about Boo's eye

Oh poor Boobly, really hope its something that can be cleared up easily, bless her. Hope the G & It's going down well :thumb: give lovely Boo a little nose rub from me xx

Oh poor Boobly, really hope its something that can be cleared up easily, bless her. Hope the G & It's going down well :thumb: give lovely Boo a little nose rub from me xx

thank you PM, I'll give her a big full on cuddle from you,she like them nowadays :love:

It’s probably a scratched cornea/corneal ulcer caused by a bit of hay. If she has ‘dry eye’ as well as cataracts this could increase the likelihood of corneal ulcers. A course of abx eye drops and anti inflammatories should sort it, although some eye ulcers take a long time to fully heal so treatment might need to go on for longer than 7-10 days.

Removal of the eye is a big op, but I have known of frail/elderly Rabbits come through it just fine. Hopefully it won’t even be necessary for Boo. Sending lots of vibes for her.

Agree with Jane. Way back when Mimzy had eye problems his left was always worse than the right but the vet never suggested enucleation. I'll place a wager it's a piece of hay stuck there and hopefully easily sussed.

Look at it this way tho'...you could've bathed Boobly's eye with the G&T by accident! :shock::lol:

All the best for the Boo's appointment. xxxxx

I hope Boo’s eye is doing better today, and that the appointment goes well. Sorry, I did laugh at the thought of you tasting the salty eye water!

I do not know why a bunny could not have conjunctivitis. So perhaps it is a possibility for today's vet visit.

It's a big op, complicated, recovery is (from what I understand) mixed (abscess territory :S) BUT I don't see why, should it come to that, Boo wouldn't just sail through it. There's plenty that can be done beforehand though, removal is more last-resort even with blind bunnies.

Best of luck for today!

Thanks everyone

This morning her eye was open wide & just looked a tad red around the rim. By the time she was in the car I coudn't even tell which eye was the problem.

Back home now, missed Ruth's bedside manner. She has only been given Maxitrol but her eye pressure was checked & values fine (so reassuring no indication it glaucoma which apparently increased risk with older cataracts) & her teeth still look good. The vet says, without any other explanation, "its Maxitrol or bust". Had no idea what that meant so asked her - think she was saying this is her only treatment option. She said she didn't think antibiotics would do anything. Didn't think it was causing her much pain as no reaction being examined & having pressure checked. TBF she is eating & behaving as normal. Bob says "whats the maxitrol treating" & was told she has a sore eye!!

So all paws crossed the drops help & if not I'll review with Ruth when she's back.

Thanks everyone

This morning her eye was open wide & just looked a tad red around the rim. By the time she was in the car I coudn't even tell which eye was the problem.

Back home now, missed Ruth's bedside manner. She has only been given Maxitrol but her eye pressure was checked & values fine (so reassuring no indication it glaucoma which apparently increased risk with older cataracts) & her teeth still look good. The vet says, without any other explanation, "its Maxitrol or bust". Had no idea what that meant so asked her - think she was saying this is her only treatment option. She said she didn't think antibiotics would do anything. Didn't think it was causing her much pain as no reaction being examined & having pressure checked. TBF she is eating & behaving as normal. Bob says "whats the maxitrol treating" & was told she has a sore eye!!

So all paws crossed the drops help & if not I'll review with Ruth when she's back.

Maxitrol contains two abx and a steroid. Aoife has it for her chronic eye problem :)

I am glad to hear Boo's eye was open and improving today. That sounds like a strange vet visit. I am sending vibes she continues to improve with the meds.

I'm glad that Boo's eye seems OK now. Perhaps it was irritated by something yesterday (hay perhaps?) and your cleaning removed the gunk, which then didn't return. Good news though, plus she's had everything checked over.

I'm glad that Boo's eye seems OK now. Perhaps it was irritated by something yesterday (hay perhaps?) and your cleaning removed the gunk, which then didn't return. Good news though, plus she's had everything checked over.

thank you. I've thought similar, its certainly possible I guess. All in all a positive vet trip, its just the vibe & communication style left me unsettled

Glad Boobly got on ok at vets, love to worry us don't they ? :? Did lovely Eddy go along for comfort, if not hope he's being attentive now :D

Glad to hear that Boobly is doing a bit better even if the visit was a bit odd. Some folks mean well when they say a thing but it comes out as stiff and unnatural to us. And my vet is particularly bad with this, if something "isn't in his experience" it simply doesn't exist. :roll:

Bedside manner is sometimes lacking in some vets.

Hopefully the meds will right things again. :love:

Back