• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about Boo's eye

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
got on the floor to give Boo a love when I got home from work & one of her eyes was shut & a bit gunky. Really worried. If she had normal eyes I'd be less so. I've bathed in saline and booked her in for tomorrow at Crab Lane. Ruth is part time so we got the practice manager. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I'm wondering how big an op eye removal is? Assuming it wouldn't be a biggy? Esp for a blind rabbit. Noodle had her eye removed but she was a lot younger. Boo is old & a bit frail. Does anyone know if cataracts prevent a vet seeing eyes properly with ophthalmoscope? In my head I've ruled out myxi as its just one eye (sh'e vaccinated obv) & tooth roots as gunky all over, not runny / teary.

TIA

Sending vibes that it is nothing serious and you can continue to have many lovely days with your sweet Boo. Sending a virtual hug to you too

thanks BM, much appreciated

guess who just took a big swig of Boo's eye gunky salty water thinking it was her (1st) G&T: Bob found it hilarious

Poor Boo :(

Yan had Myx, when he was vaccinated and that was only in one eye. The area around the eye was swollen as well, so that 'not my normal vet' thought at first it was perhaps a bee sting. It developed very quickly and his eye was shut and gunky.

Sending Boo lots of vibes and I hope it goes well tomorrow at the vets.

Sending Boo millions of vibes for tomorrow. I hope that itscsometbing that the vet can treat quickly. Xx

Poor Boo :(

Yan had Myx, when he was vaccinated and that was only in one eye. The area around the eye was swollen as well, so that 'not my normal vet' thought at first it was perhaps a bee sting. It developed very quickly and his eye was shut and gunky.

Sending Boo lots of vibes and I hope it goes well tomorrow at the vets.

oh ..thanks Omi, so it could be myxi too then. I am fussing and loving Boo all the time and I really think this has come on during the course of the day

omi what treatment did Yan have? Anything i should look out for?

Yan had eye drops and abx, Depocillin injections.

I would look to see if the area under the eye is swollen. Yan's certainly was, as though someone had punched him. It wasn't only the inside of the eye that was affected. If there is no swelling, I would think Boo's isn't Myx.

Boo's problem could be an eye infection I would have thought, which could be treated with drops.

Yan had eye drops and abx, Depocillin injections.

I would look to see if the area under the eye is swollen. Yan's certainly was, as though someone had punched him. It wasn't only the inside of the eye that was affected. If there is no swelling, I would think Boo's isn't Myx.

Boo's problem could be an eye infection I would have thought, which could be treated with drops.

it doesn't look swollen to me tbh. If it was human you'd think conjunctivitis.. its useful to have lots of ideas etc in prep for tomorrows appt. Such a shame its not a Ruth day She knows Boo's eyes well and has seen them twice in past few months

Hopefully it’s an eye infection, but I’m hoping the eye won’t need to be removed- as that’s always an absolute last resort. From experience there are so many gels, ointments and drops that could potentially be used.

Winnie’s eyes were horrific for well over a year (due to poor care from CJ Hall vets) and taking out the eye was never an option. Although understand that she doesn’t have cataracts now.

Hopefully it’s an eye infection, but I’m hoping the eye won’t need to be removed- as that’s always an absolute last resort. From experience there are so many gels, ointments and drops that could potentially be used.

Winnie’s eyes were horrific for well over a year (due to poor care from CJ Hall vets) and taking out the eye was never an option. Although understand that she doesn’t have cataracts now.

is it last resort if they have no vision whatsoever though ? Or is the process really risky for some reason? I recall Frances seeming confident about Noodles (she was already blind in one eye but several years on became ulcerated so was taken out

I know nothing about eyes unfortunately, but sending loads of vibes, I hope it's something simple xx

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Back