• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wasp sting!!

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Rupert was just minding his business sitting in the living room while we watch TV when a wasp has stung him on the face near his nose! First we knew was when he started running wildly around the room. OH removed the wasp, Rupert is cleaning his face a lot as must be very sore. Have done a video "consultation" with a vet service my vet provides and they said to monitor for any signs of swelling and if its bothering him to take him in. Trouble is it obviously IS bothering him as its sore but I don't know what's normal to expect in this situation and what isn't. I can't get through to the out of hours vet directly or nurse to see if I can bring him in.

This happened about 20 minutes ago and he's accepted some porridge oats and eaten them without difficulty so I am thinking he's as OK as he can be but am paranoid and worried of a "what if" scenario as can't get hold of the vet if he does need to go in.

Edit - OH thinks the stinger was still attached to the wasp so we don't think it's on Rupert.

Oh poor boy! Really hoping he'll be ok. in humans at least bad reactions to stings seem to come on pretty quickly. Hope its just that its sore. I'd keep offering bits of food & keep a close eye on him as you will anyway. Is he on metacam?

Oh poor boy! Really hoping he'll be ok. in humans at least bad reactions to stings seem to come on pretty quickly. Hope its just that its sore. I'd keep offering bits of food & keep a close eye on him as you will anyway. Is he on metacam?

I was thinking the same, that if there was going to be a reaction it would've happened by now. Lilac likes to lick his nose, she just tried to do it and he reacted quite badly and ran around thumping so definitely a sore boy! Sadly no metacam in the house or I would've asked the video vet about giving him some to take the edge off, poor boy will just have to firm it. He's definitely not happy but I don't see any signs of him struggling to breathe or anything like that.

Set a couple of alarms already for during the night so that I can check on him.

I was thinking the same, that if there was going to be a reaction it would've happened by now. Lilac likes to lick his nose, she just tried to do it and he reacted quite badly and ran around thumping so definitely a sore boy! Sadly no metacam in the house or I would've asked the video vet about giving him some to take the edge off, poor boy will just have to firm it. He's definitely not happy but I don't see any signs of him struggling to breathe or anything like that.

Set a couple of alarms already for during the night so that I can check on him.

good plan, I almost suggested that. Its such a sensitive area its bound to be really sore. Update in morning please

Would a used, cooled, herbal tea bag help draw out any remaining toxin? I realize it's probably an old wives tale but just a thought.

For future reference immediate application of ice (ice cube wrapped in a bit of cloth),a mild baking soda solution or some papain can help. I doubt many folk have the latter in store though.

Adverse reactions occur rapidly. If sting is on the nose observe for swelling bad enough to occlude nostrils. Rabbits are obligate nose breathers, severe swelling of the nose/nostrils is an emergency. Same applies to a sting in the mouth.

A dose of meloxicam can help reduce pain and swelling
Piriton (antihistamine)can be given

https://www.vetlexicon.com/treat/lapis/freeform/insect-stings-and-envenomation

Hope Rupert is OK now

Thanks all, I checked on him during the night a few times and he was ok. His nose had a tiny bit of swelling but breathing was fine, it's gone down now and he seems much better, still sore so I'm trying not to touch him.

@inspectormorse I tried a cool compress before bed but he wouldn't let me put it near the sting as must've still hurt too much.

I know it was a complete freak accident but it really had me worried for a bit and definitely wasn't nice seeing him in pain. Must be really confusing for an animal that gets stung, we can tell what it is and know the pain will go but they have no idea!

Here he is pottering about this morning bless him
578ae1ae1d9a35c91025352350a7f60d.jpg

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Wouldn't even know it had happened now, which is obviously a good thing!

I'm still not going to touch the affected area just in case but he's acting completely normal now so I think he's fine. I'm very protective of him because he's blind and it was horrible seeing him run around in pain yesterday banging into things in panic.

Back