• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update - Rupert's in the wars again :(

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Noticed something off with the way Rupert was walking and we've been able to narrow it down to a limp on his front right leg. Picked him up and tried to have a good feel, can't feel anything obvious, no swelling, lumps or bumps, and his claws are all in tact. Going to try and get him in at the vet tomorrow as we're away for a few days from Tuesday!!! No idea if he's injured it somehow (although I'm not sure where he could've done this) or if perhaps it's something arthritic that's just started showing symptoms. Either way I'm not comfortable with leaving it. He is definitely in the wars!

Edit - he doesn't jump on/off stuff as he's blind, so it can't be a falling injury.

Last edited:
Poor boy really hope you can get him seen asap, always tricky on weekends xx

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Managed to get him booked in for 11am. I'm actually on call today so fingers crossed I don't get any phone calls! He's still relatively bright but he's holding the leg up most of the time now. Weirdly I've seen him stretch a couple of times and he's able to stretch it almost as far as his good leg.

Oh, that's great that you could get an appointment this morning. I hope it will go well and that you won't get any phone calls! I'm glad he's still relatively bright, but, aw, his leg must really be bothering him if he's holding it up most of the time now...

Managed to get him booked in for 11am. I'm actually on call today so fingers crossed I don't get any phone calls! He's still relatively bright but he's holding the leg up most of the time now. Weirdly I've seen him stretch a couple of times and he's able to stretch it almost as far as his good leg.

Maybe he has a FB in a pad on his foot. Sending more vibes for him.

So the vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him during examination, so he's on a course of metacam and if he doesn't improve he's to go back for an xray. Unfortunately we're away for a couple of days next week so I won't be able to monitor him as much as I'd like but it is what it is, he'll be getting twice daily visits and medication from the pet sitter.

I hope Rupert feels better on metacam & his foot recovers without the need for further diagnostics when you're back

I hope Rupert feels better on metacam & his foot recovers without the need for further diagnostics when you're back
We'll wait and see. I'm absolutely stumped for anywhere that he could've got it trapped or anything like that, and as I say he doesn't jump on furniture any more so I don't know how he could've injured it, which makes me wonder if it's something arthritic. I could be totally off, can't watch them 24/7 and he could have got up to something when we were out!

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Glad vet got to see Rupert, and really hope that Metacam helps. Bunnies have perfect timing with these things don't they :?

So the vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him during examination, so he's on a course of metacam and if he doesn't improve he's to go back for an xray. Unfortunately we're away for a couple of days next week so I won't be able to monitor him as much as I'd like but it is what it is, he'll be getting twice daily visits and medication from the pet sitter.

Really sorry that the Vet has not been able to find an obvious cause. I do hope that whatever is wrong will resolve ASAP x

I hope the metacam will help and he is feeling better soon. You could maybe use a webcam to monitor him while you are away?

Back