• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes needed to Tallulah today please

RosemaryG

Warren Scout
My daughter went to feed the buns this morning and came back to say they hadn't eaten their pellets from last night. Bugsy was out and about in the pen, chomping on hay etc but Tallulah was still in the house, looking sleepy and she's normally the first one out for food. They are house bunnies

Fortunately, I'm working from home today so I can keep an eye on them both. There is a big pile of fresh poo in the tray and Bugsy is happy enough but I'm worried about Tallulah, I've just been up again and managed to persuade her out of the house, she went to the tray and did a wee, then nibbled at a bit of hay and a couple of pellets but after a circuit of the pen is now back in her house.

The only change to their diet has been some fresh dandelion yesterday whilst they were out in their run but Bugsy is fine.

Spoken to the vet, they are so busy with planned surgeries today so can only see her at 3 but to take her down straight away if I think she needs it? What do you think, I can get away around 12.30, should I take Bugsy too?

thanks for your help ..

I would take Bugsy as well (moral support and so that they will smell the same and not fall out).

If she is eating, pooing and weeing I cant see any problem with waiting until 3.00 esp as you are there to keep an eye on her. But that is only my opinion based on what you have said.

Very best of luck at the vets today.

Thanks, I checked on her again around 12.00, still sitting in her house, not interested in anything - Vet happy to see her straight away.

Tallulah has been examined, gut making noises but quite slow and tummy almost empty, so she's had pain relief and gut stimulant and I've got more stimulant to administer later, along with satchets of recovery food and some fibreplex.

She did oblige by eating one stalk of hay whilst the vet was getting her meds though. Hopefully, she'll come through this and be her normal self in the next couple of days

Hopefully the meds will perk her up again and get her back to herself. I wouldn't think the dandelion leaves would have affected her. Is she moulting much? Mine are really moulting so wonder if she is ingesting more fur than usual. Also it has been quite warm it could have been the hot weather. Or maybe the wind has changed direction! Rabbits seem to stop eating at almost anything don't they?

Thanks, I checked on her again around 12.00, still sitting in her house, not interested in anything - Vet happy to see her straight away.

Tallulah has been examined, gut making noises but quite slow and tummy almost empty, so she's had pain relief and gut stimulant and I've got more stimulant to administer later, along with satchets of recovery food and some fibreplex.

She did oblige by eating one stalk of hay whilst the vet was getting her meds though. Hopefully, she'll come through this and be her normal self in the next couple of days

Fancy her having a nibble in front of the vets - I hope that's a positive sign :thumb:

I'm glad you got her down there sooner and started her on the stasis regime ..... I hope all works out well.

(((((( vibes )))))) for Tallulah (what a beautiful name :love: )

Thanks everyone, she seems brighter but is resisting all attempts to get gut stimulant or fibreplex into her using a syringe, think I got 0.5ml in :) although some got around her mouth, so she's having a good clean now.

Any good tricks for getting fibreplex in?

I've mixed up a sachet of recovery food too but she's ignoring that too - worried that Bugsy is following her too now, not seen him eat anything in a while, although nibbling hay

Thanks everyone, she seems brighter but is resisting all attempts to get gut stimulant or fibreplex into her using a syringe, think I got 0.5ml in :) although some got around her mouth, so she's having a good clean now.

I've mixed up a sachet of recovery food too but she's ignoring that too - worried that Bugsy is following her too now, not seen him eat anything in a while, although nibbling hay

If you buy some Ella's Kitchen banana baby food - https://shop.ellaskitchen.co.uk/products/bananas-bananas-bananas - then you may be able to pull some up into the syringe after you've put a bit of fibreplex in there to entice ... That is unless she's one of the few buns who doesn't like banana!

I often use Ella's Kitchen organic baby food if pushed and can't get recovery into them. It tastes delicious ......

Good luck :D

You could try putting a blob of Fibreplex on her front paws. She will then probably try to clean it off.

So, quick trip to Sainsbury's for Ella's banana food - thanks for that reminder - Tallulah hating the syringe, so I've been putting it on the end of a long teaspoon and she's licking it off, added the fibreplex and was less sure but I think we got most of a dose in. She's much brighter and grooming herself and Bugsy

thanks for continuing vibes

Update on Tallulah - she's been nibbling a bit of kale, some hay and dried blackberry leaves, there are new poos in the litter tray although they could be Bugsy's but I've still not seen her drink anything - hope this means she's on the road to recovery

So, quick trip to Sainsbury's for Ella's banana food - thanks for that reminder - Tallulah hating the syringe, so I've been putting it on the end of a long teaspoon and she's licking it off, added the fibreplex and was less sure but I think we got most of a dose in. She's much brighter and grooming herself and Bugsy

You're welcome :D

Glad she seems brighter now *and* has eaten some fibreplex. Result :thumb:

It is always good when they do not fight the feedings. Make sure she gets enough fluid too. Sending some good vibes to you both.

It is always good when they do not fight the feedings. Make sure she gets enough fluid too. Sending some good vibes to you both.

Yes, bunny momma is so right, fluids really can make the world of difference when treating gut stasis. I hope that Tallulah is feeling much better this morning xx

All looking much better this morning - poos in the litter tray, I know you all like to be advised of this :), no real evidence of eating pellets or drinking water overnight though. However, both buns were sitting in the litter tray munching on hay first thing this morning and as we have a lovely crop of dandelions in the garden today, I've picked a load and dampened them with water and Tallulah scoffed the lot- thanks for everyone's help & advice

All looking much better this morning - poos in the litter tray, I know you all like to be advised of this :), no real evidence of eating pellets or drinking water overnight though. However, both buns were sitting in the litter tray munching on hay first thing this morning and as we have a lovely crop of dandelions in the garden today, I've picked a load and dampened them with water and Tallulah scoffed the lot- thanks for everyone's help & advice

All sounds to be very good progress. I hope that she will soon be 100% back to normal XX

It wouldn't be RU without a daily poo report :lol:

So glad to hear things are looking up - keep up the good work Talullah :thumb:

It wouldn't be RU without a daily poo report :lol:

So glad to hear things are looking up - keep up the good work Talullah :thumb:
It's true, so true, we like good bunny poo!
So glad Tallulah is eating better today.
Just a though--since both bunnies are avoiding the pellets--is there anything different-new brand? old stale or damp bag? new bag even? did it pick up any scent from storage?

Thanks for asking - I've been wondering the same thing too. Both are happily eating hay, drinking well, munching away on dried and fresh forage and run for their daily crunchie - but pellets seem to be off the menu. It is the last of the bag, but we've shaken off any dust.

As a precaution, I've opened the new bag today, they're on excel pellets for junior / dwarf - see what happens !

Back