• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Casper? And Sophie, too?

I'm sorry i missed this. I really hope Sophie & Casper get well soon. It must be overwhelming & scary. Sending get well vibes & hugs. I hope tomorrow is a better day for everybun

Thank you all so much for caring about our little family. It's really so kind of you all. :love:

The vet examined Sophie yesterday and, like with Casper, everything was fine. The vet thinks it's dandelions that are behind both of them being unwell. She said (according to my mum) that because of the weather, dandelions and grass are full of sugar right now, and that they're seeing a lot of bunnies with upset stomachs at the moment caused by this. Apparently it's bothering horses, too? So, that's this vet's guess. She gave both Sophie and Casper fluids, and Sophie's on Metacam, Emeprid, and Cisapride like Casper now, and it is, again, just a matter of waiting until it resolves itself, I suppose... The vet will also be checking their poop for... well, my mum said viruses, but I think she meant parasites? So, I have to collect some this weekend. The vet didn't expect to find anything, though.

They're both still not eating much, and Casper doesn't want his syringe feed today; he just spits out all out. Sophie has been nice about the syringe feeding, though. I'm still exhausted and overwhelmed, and I wish I had more energy to take care of them. :(

I am sorry I missed your update yesterday. Having two sick bunnies can be overwhelming.
Are they eating enough greens to get grass sickness?
Fluids should help.
I hope you can get Casper to take syringe feeds. Perhaps mix it with a few drops less water so it will be slightly thicker, or gently pet his neck to encourage swallowing. I give a half cc or less between swallows.
Sending vibes for bunnies and you.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear that, if we lived closer, I would love to help you. I hope Casper and Sophie get well soon, I'm sending a lot of vibrations for them xxxxxx

Gosh that is interesting to know. Hope they are back to normal very soon.x
Thank you, BYB.

I am sorry I missed your update yesterday. Having two sick bunnies can be overwhelming.
Are they eating enough greens to get grass sickness?
Fluids should help.
I hope you can get Casper to take syringe feeds. Perhaps mix it with a few drops less water so it will be slightly thicker, or gently pet his neck to encourage swallowing. I give a half cc or less between swallows.
Sending vibes for bunnies and you.
Thank you, too, bunny momma. The only greens Casper has been eating this week were dandelions and some herbs... Now that the dandelions aren't an option anymore, he's eating very few greens, sadly, and he won't take much water by mouth, either, so I'm worried about him getting enough fluids. He did just finally take some syringe feed, so that's a relief.

Sophie actually wasn't eating any dandelions until a few days ago, and then she got ill, too, so that makes sense with what the vet said.

I'm so sorry to hear that, if we lived closer, I would love to help you. I hope Casper and Sophie get well soon, I'm sending a lot of vibrations for them xxxxxx
Thank you, KCG. That's very kind of you.

That's such a shame when they're enjoying them so much!

I must admit Blossom's also been having extra as I know she'll eat them. It's so hard to balance extra food to get them eating vs syringe feeds.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

That's such a shame when they're enjoying them so much!

I must admit Blossom's also been having extra as I know she'll eat them. It's so hard to balance extra food to get them eating vs syringe feeds.

Yes, Casper loves his dandelions. :(

I agree that it's hard when they don't want to eat and you're just offering them foods that you normally wouldn't give them in those amounts, just to get them to eat. I feel like anything they will eat is good at that point, even if it's not their usual diet.

Thank you for clarifying about their consumption of greens. Their gi bacterial balance may be upset.
Glad Casper decided to take syringe feeds. I hope both will soon return to normal.
Sometimes I mix some ground/pulverized pellets with syringe feed.
I agree that I let ill bunnies eat as many greens/pellets as they want. With Raven, I offer tiny amounts of alfalfa when nothing else works, and after dentals or illness he often eats lots of carrot greens and dandelions and nibbles hay..

Last edited:
Thank you for clarifying about their consumption of greens. Their gi bacterial balance may be upset.
Glad Casper decided to take syringe feeds. I hope both will soon return to normal.
Sometimes I mix some ground/pulverized pellets with syringe feed.
I agree that I let ill bunnies eat as many greens/pellets as they want. With Raven, I offer tiny amounts of alfalfa when nothing else works, and after dentals or illness he often eats lots of carrot greens and dandelions and nibbles hay..
Thank you for hoping they'll both soon return to normal. I've been giving them some ground pellets with their syringe feed, too, but crushing the pellets is quite tiring, so unfortunately for them I've stopped. They don't really seem to mind, thankfully.

Sophie ate three small bowls of greens during the night. :love: She's eating better than Casper is, but during the day so far she hasn't eaten much by herself. She's been sneezing a lot again today, too, so I hope she doesn't need to go on antibiotics again. :(

Casper hasn't really eaten so far today, aside from his syringe feed. He's been lying in the sun since this morning, though, and seems quite comfortable. I do hope he'll eat something when he wakes up later.

It's odd how neither of them are really eating pellets, when they normally love them so much. I wonder if the bag has gone bad or if it's just not something that seems appealing to them right now.

ZoU8bwoh.jpeg

cp7MKaYh.jpeg

Aww sending lots of vibes for them!

I would definitely suspect your nugget bag might be past its best.

Aww look at them :) really hope that a new bag of nuggets does the trick. Sending lots of vibes for both of your bunnies, and extra for yourself, hope you start to feel stronger soon xxx

Pellets can go stale, so a fresh bag may entice them to eat.
Some stasis bunnies prefer hay, so perhaps they are opting for low sugar/starch?

Do they have gas or bloating?
Sending more vibes.

Topping up the vibes. If you want to make pellet mush to syringe, sometimes they will soften with boiling water poured on and mixed in, and then you can just allow them to cool. Easier than grinding them :wave:

Back