• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD outbreak

I've had to rush my 4 unvaccinated buns for their vaccine in case I've carried it home on my clothes.

All of them are compromised buns,and snuffly Joey is 9, so I'm dreading how they're going to react:cry:

Did they get Lapinject ? Full immunity kicks in after 6 days. It's 21 days with Cylap.

OMG how awful ........ sending all the vibes I can and thinking of everyone and everybun at the sanctuary!! x

I am really sorry, what an awful thing to happen :cry:
I just wanted to reassure you on the possible vaccine side effects, I have had all of my health compromised buns vaccinated with Lapinject on my vets advice and none of them have had any problems from it whatsoever over the last couple of years. They include buns with EC, abcesses, respiratory, GI and kidney problems as well as very elderly buns. VHD was known to be in the area so I chose to have them all vaccinated.

This is so sad and my thoughts are with all at Hopper Haven

Can I just add we vacs all bunnies here..compromised or not..and none have reacted badly to Lapinject..so for those with buns at risk please think about getting them vacs

I think it is important to remember that if a health compromised Rabbit is vaccinated then the vaccine may not actually be effective as the Rabbit's immune system may not have the 'resources' to respond adequately. It's not just a case of having a detrimental effect on the pre-exising illness.

We need to weigh up the risks versus benefits of vaccinating a health compromised Rabbit and really if the Vet caring for the Rabbit(s) advises against vaccination then IMO we should follow their advice. Which is exactly what Hopper Haven Sanctuary have done.

What has occurred at Hopper Haven is a tragedy and all affected need our support at this awful time.

Sorry if I sounded like I was criticising anyone, I didn't mean to, no one has done anything wrong. I just wanted to reassure them that the vaccine won't neccessarily harm the rabbits that they have had to give it to. I agree that we should follow the vets advice.

I think it is important to remember that if a health compromised Rabbit is vaccinated then the vaccine may not actually be effective as the Rabbit's immune system may not have the 'resources' to respond adequately. It's not just a case of having a detrimental effect on the pre-exising illness.

We need to weigh up the risks versus benefits of vaccinating a health compromised Rabbit and really if the Vet caring for the Rabbit(s) advises against vaccination then IMO we should follow their advice. Which is exactly what Hopper Haven Sanctuary have done.

What has occurred at Hopper Haven is a tragedy and all affected need our support at this awful time.

Exactly - the ones I have not vaccinated were at vets advice after we had some problems. However I will now be reconsidering.

Sorry if I sounded like I was criticising anyone, I didn't mean to, no one has done anything wrong. I just wanted to reassure them that the vaccine won't neccessarily harm the rabbits that they have had to give it to. I agree that we should follow the vets advice.

Likewise..I know Louise does the best for her rabbits and would be following vets advice..was just giving my opinion and the info on what we have found
Of course vet advice should always be asked for

I agree with this. I too will be re-evaluating Wish and Badger though and having a long chat with my vet about whether or not they would get Lapinject for those two.

This is such a wretched situation that it makes people re-evaluate so much, even though we are all doing what we think is best and listening to vets advice on this account.

What a horribly horrid situation.

I am so sorry to hear this Caroline :cry::cry::cry: How dreadful for all concerned :cry::cry::cry:

Thinking of Louise & all the bunnies, you & everyone else connected with HH during this difficult time xxxx

Such devastating news, sending all the vibes and good wishes I can for everybun at Hopper Haven - my heart goes out to you all xxx

This is devastating news. I am so sorry.

Thinking of you all and please let us all know if there is anything that we can humanly do to help. x

I didn't think that at all. My post was just to point out why a Vet *might* recommend not vaccinating a health compromised Rabbit :)
I think we all try to do our best for the Rabbits in our care

You've reminded me that Smudge is due his VHD. Just phoned them and sorted it.

What a terrible thing to happen, I'm so sorry. It's one of those caught 22 positions where you're possibly damned if you do and possibly damned if you don't. Very hard to know what to do for the best.

A bunny mummys nightmare.
Im so very sorry for all concerned, but most of all for the bunnies.

Back