• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD outbreak

This has been an awful couple of weeks as I'm sure you can imagine. I have been so stressed:(

The good news is that no more rabbits died. I think the cold snap might have saved us by killing off the insects that would have spread it faster. As it was the vaccine had a chance to become effective before it spread.

Even the companions of the ones who died survived. I didn't think they stood a chance, but they are past the onset of immunity plus the incubation period so they should be safe now. Except that Verbena duga long tunnel into their run and she and Maestro beat up Sandstone and Marble and they both now have shreaded ears:cry::cry: There was fur everywhere. Maestro is such a bully:cry: Lops come off so badly when there is a fight:cry::cry:And it seems so unfair after they survived after losing Kingfisher. But better than being dead I suppose:?

The virus can not spread quite as easily as I had presumed it would. I went out every day expecting them to be dead, but there they were, the same as ever. Until the fight two days ago anyway:roll:

I put everyone on strict quarantine and even stopped meds for all except the most critically ill as I was the most likely vector to spread the disease. Disinfecting the site is impossible however, it is far too big and how can you disinfect grass and mud anyway. But what I did worked, and as I said I think the cold snap helped. But now we are left with a contaminated site. We won't be clear for nine months and then only if none of the immune compromised rabbits get the disease. Then the count down restarts...

I canceled all boarding and closed to the public but don't know how long I should keep that up. I don't want anyone carrying it home to unvaccinated rabbits.

I am left with some chronicly ill rabbits showing signs of worsening due to the vaccine. I thought Phoenix was going to die last Sat, but she is still with me. And the worst effects usually don't show up until 2-3 weeks after vaccination so this isn't over yet.

But it could have been so much worse. I had visions of dead rabbits everywhere:cry::cry::cry:

Of course losing Tuesday, Izlandi, Badger, Feather and Kingfisher is awful. I feel guilty that their loss has been overshadowed by fear for all the others:cry: Run free lovely rabbits. I do miss you, as do your companions.

At least the worst seems to have passed for you and I really hope that your remaining rabbits stay well.

Sleep tightly to all your babies that didn't make it xxx

Hoping you are over this now and can move on, albeit sadly.

Louise, how you have kept going is incredible. You have done everything for your bunnies and I am pleased to hear that no more buns have left for the Bridge. So sorry for the bunnies that have, sleep tight little ones.

I am sorry it is still a waiting game and to hear about the fight. I dont know what else to say except that we are thinking of you and hoping and praying that the worst has passed. :cry:

Helen x

I'm sorry to read this, binky free to the bridge bunnies.
Your doing a wonderful job, goodness knows how you have the strength to carry on. Tjoughts are with you and hope you don't loose anymore.

i'm sorry for your lost angels :cry: :cry:, but i'm so happy it wasn't as bad as it could of been.

fingers crossed that everything gets back to normal asap xxxxxxxxx

If it is any consolation - when I had an ill rabbit vaccinated against VHD (long story) the reaction was quick - within 2 days - he became very ill but survived.

loads of vibes for all the remaining buns. Sorry to hear about the five who passed away. My thoughts are with you and the bunnies you've lost.

I hope that you can get things back to normal quickly and don't remain closed for too long. It sounds like it has been a devastating blow to you all there.

Sending lots of love and healing thoughts your way xx

I am so very sorry to read this. :cry: Sleep tight Bridge Bunnies. xx

Thinking of you and hoping that the remaining buns stay well.

I've just seen this...I'm so sorry you lost some of your gorgeous babies to this horrible illness...but I'm so glad it wasn;t as bad as it could have been.
Hppe Sandstone and Marbles ears heal soon.
xx

Back