• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tragic News - bunny died, urgent advice please

Its not good :(

I've had the test results and I've strongly been advised to bring the other two rabbits in to be checked over and watch out for any signs of diarrhea... I don''t know how unlucky I can get...

The test results showed two issues, the first one mentioned above but also it showed intestinal Coccidiosis which can damage the kidneys and liver, this can also make a rabbit critically ill within 48hrs and causes them to stop eating and drinking. It affects baby rabbits more than it does adults. I am worried about Lacey because she often gets runny stools and all that water she was peeing out the other day... They give me medication that I need to give to all the rabbits, it goes in there water.

Its not good :(

I've had the test results and I've strongly been advised to bring the other two rabbits in to be checked over and watch out for any signs of diarrhea... I don''t know how unlucky I can get...

The test results showed two issues, the first one mentioned above but also it showed intestinal Coccidiosis which can damage the kidneys and liver, this can also make a rabbit critically ill within 48hrs and causes them to stop eating and drinking. It affects baby rabbits more than it does adults. I am worried about Lacey because she often gets runny stools and all that water she was peeing out the other day... They give me medication that I need to give to all the rabbits, it goes in there water.

I can't view the first test results. Have you posted a photo of the results?

I am so sorry. I was concerned that you were having to deal with more issues when there was no news yesterday.

I really hope these three will be okay.

I have a confession to make...

I lied about the test results because I was so ashamed with myself. It wasn't RHD and it wasn't Coccidiosis...

It was poisoning, I could not believe it and I was in total despair with myself about it thinking how the hell did I manage to poison my rabbits and how could this even happen,,. I later learned the hay that I bought contained toxic weeds which was responsible for killing all the babies.

I am sorry I should not have lied . I know people are just trying to help. I just said it was RHD Coccidiosis because I thought that poisoning would make me sound like a terrible pet owner.

Where did you get your hay from, who has told you it was toxic weeds and what was the name of the weeds ? I'm sorry I'm not meaning to interrogate you, but I have some knowledge of plants and cannot think what could have caused these sudden deaths. Do you have any photos of these weeds?

How are your three adult bunnies?

I can get photos of the hay and the bits of weeds. It sounds like people are not believing it already. I can 100% promise it was from bad hay. It was meadow hay mixed with all kinds. nobody needs to tell me I found it out myself. My rabbits were poisoned and died from the hay I was feeding them. Its contaminated with something nasty and toxic weeds are a common culprit.

I can get photos of the hay and the bits of weeds. It sounds like people are not believing it already. I can 100% promise it was from bad hay. It was meadow hay mixed with all kinds. nobody needs to tell me I found it out myself. My rabbits were poisoned and died from the hay I was feeding them. Its contaminated with something nasty and toxic weeds are a common culprit.

People are sounding like they don't believe it, probably because in my opinion it is extremely unlikely. Toxic weeds are not a common culprit, I can assure you. Many of us on this forum feed wild plants to their rabbits, me included.

I would be very interested to know the name of the plant that you consider is toxic and also would like to see some photos.

People are sounding like they don't believe it, probably because in my opinion it is extremely unlikely. Toxic weeds are not a common culprit, I can assure you. Many of us on this forum feed wild plants to their rabbits, me included.

I would be very interested to know the name of the plant that you consider is toxic and also would like to see some photos.

Would you like me to send you the hay? I will pay for postage and you can then see for yourself.

The hay was contaminated. Why is this so hard for people to believe. This is really irritating It was the hay.. .

Its not extremely unlikely neither.

These things happen. God I wish I never bothered posting now.
I mean it does seem extremely unlikely [emoji51] I think people are just trying to understand, surely you understand how this sounds extremely unlikely? I wouldn't be surprised if people were confused if I'd posted this [emoji38]

Are your other three rabbits okay? That's the main thing, you'll definitely need to feed hay going forward, is pets at home hay expensive? I've not checked in ages tbh!

I really like Timothyhay.co.uk, used them for years but I guess it's not super cheap tbh. I'm trying where else I've bought hay now, do you have any farms just out of London that do baled hay? Sometimes they're cheap for a load of hay!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I can only identify what looks to be cow parsley storks plus a powdery mold in parts of the hay.

I can see that mold could be a problem, whether its on weeds, hay, nuggets anything

Sorry you regret posting. from my perspective its important to not create fear over the most important bit of a rabbits diet which is why i put my point of view across

Would you like me to send you the hay? I will pay for postage and you can then see for yourself.

The hay was contaminated. Why is this so hard for people to believe. This is really irritating It was the hay.. .

I would have been interested in the name of the toxic plant plus a photo, because I am very interested in plants. I'm sorry if that has come across as irritating as that was not my intention. No thanks, it's not necessary to send me any of the hay.

I can see that mold could be a problem, whether its on weeds, hay, nuggets anything

Sorry you regret posting. from my perspective its important to not create fear over the most important bit of a rabbits diet which is why i put my point of view across
Yea mould could be an issue!

Was there a lot of mould on the hay you was feeding?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I can only identify what looks to be cow parsley storks plus a powdery mold in parts of the hay.
I'm really sorry again about what happened. Sadly, as some have said, the mould could definitely have been the problem. Some toxins in mould can be extremely dangerous to rabbits, and are often fatal. Since you found mould in parts of the hay, the spores would've been in the entire bag, potentially making all the hay toxic. The baby bunnies would've been especially vulnerable, still being so small and needing to ingest less of it than the adult bunnies for it to become dangerous to them.

I think its time to start a conversation about the baby bunnies that died... I didn't really have long enough with them to watch them grow and get to know them properly but one particular rabbit liked to climb up my arm and sit in the hood of my sweater and would stay there so I would end up walking all around the house getting on with my daily things with a bunny in my hood looking out.It was sad and unfortunate to lose them so soon although they were going too eventually be re-homed I was planning on keeping two of them. In all my time of keeping rabbits I've never experienced this. They say there is a first time for everything.

Back