• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tragic News - bunny died, urgent advice please

I've been a total idiot... I think I know why Lacey was so thirsty yesterday.

The central heating system has been on where Lacey's pen is and since I've turned it off shes getting back to normal again. I feel like such a plonker. She was very hungry this morning, I gave her some pellets and plenty of fresh hay. She wanted another bowl of pellets shortly after because I didn't want to feed her too many but I gave in to her because she wouldn't stop tugging at the wire mesh in her pen so I gave her another small bowl of pellets followed with another handful of fresh hay. Shes been doing binkies so that is a good sign.

She has access to the yard when Lambchop isn't out there. I haven't heard from the vets yet about Lucky but I'll keep you all updated when I do.
How hot was it? Can she not move away from the rad...? Do you think the babies died because they got too hot...? None of this adds up tbh [emoji51]

You could call the vets for an update! I do when any of mine are in, they don't mind at all :)

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I've been a total idiot... I think I know why Lacey was so thirsty yesterday.

The central heating system has been on where Lacey's pen is and since I've turned it off shes getting back to normal again. I feel like such a plonker. She was very hungry this morning, I gave her some pellets and plenty of fresh hay. She wanted another bowl of pellets shortly after because I didn't want to feed her too many but I gave in to her because she wouldn't stop tugging at the wire mesh in her pen so I gave her another small bowl of pellets followed with another handful of fresh hay. Shes been doing binkies so that is a good sign.

She has access to the yard when Lambchop isn't out there. I haven't heard from the vets yet about Lucky but I'll keep you all updated when I do.

I very much doubt whether the central heating has had any impact at all. In fact I think it's best you keep the temperature at a constant warm level. Rabbits don't do well with large changes in temperature.

Try to keep everything the same i.e. temperature, food and water.

It sounds as though Lacey is doing much better now. I hope you get a positive update from the vet regarding Lucky.

I've been thinking a lot about diet, making sure they are getting enough fiber and making sure my bunnies can stay healthy and reduce any other issues that might pop up in the future.

I know suddenly changing there diet is not advisable but its something I'm doing gradually because before I was feeding them a lot of nuggets which should be more of a treat. I have been reducing the nuggets over the past month and they have been eating more hay. I need to make sure they are getting enough fiber because with infections its so easy for then to get a gut infection if they are not eating healthy or getting enough fiber.

I need to find a healthier option of pellets that I can feed them. They have two different types... one being the mint nuggets which is fed to them in moderation and minimally. Ideally I want to cut these out almost completely.

The other pellets which they get a bit more of are a bit more healthy for them but its still not too much... I remember years ago you could get hay pellets and they were shiny on the outside, its hard to explain what they looked like, people use to feedlots of them to rabbits and of course they would always have plenty of hay. I haven't seen those hay pellets in years I can only find the mixed type which is advised to be fed to rabbits weighing 2.5kg to feed them 75g a day.

I need to look for better hay and a better more healthy pellet type. I found with some hay types they ignore or just use it to pee on and other types of hay they will enjoy and munch on throughout the day.

I have thought about picking them some fresh green grass in the summer months as well.

Rabbits should always have unlimited access to hay / grass and water. Excess pellets can cause digestive issues and dental problems later. If they are hungry, they should be encouraged to eat more hay. It's much better for gut health.

I can't see why she would be going through so many bowls of water unless there was a health issue or she had no choice but to to be housed up against a hot radiator - which means she didn't have adequate space anyway - which I would have expected the RSPCA to advise on.

I would also not be letting any of the rabbits share spaces at the moment if they are not bonded. Its REALLY important to stop the spread of any disease, which means constant vigilance, disinfection, barrier nursing, and not sharing anything between the different groupings. It's difficult enough to manage in a domestic setting, so you really need to clamp down for at least a couple of months, more if it's RHD. It's not worth the risk of spreading an infection. Rabbits are too fragile.

How are the remaining babies doing?

I've been thinking a lot about diet, making sure they are getting enough fiber and making sure my bunnies can stay healthy and reduce any other issues that might pop up in the future.

I know suddenly changing there diet is not advisable but its something I'm doing gradually because before I was feeding them a lot of nuggets which should be more of a treat. I have been reducing the nuggets over the past month and they have been eating more hay. I need to make sure they are getting enough fiber because with infections its so easy for then to get a gut infection if they are not eating healthy or getting enough fiber.

I need to find a healthier option of pellets that I can feed them. They have two different types... one being the mint nuggets which is fed to them in moderation and minimally. Ideally I want to cut these out almost completely.

The other pellets which they get a bit more of are a bit more healthy for them but its still not too much... I remember years ago you could get hay pellets and they were shiny on the outside, its hard to explain what they looked like, people use to feedlots of them to rabbits and of course they would always have plenty of hay. I haven't seen those hay pellets in years I can only find the mixed type which is advised to be fed to rabbits weighing 2.5kg to feed them 75g a day.

I need to look for better hay and a better more healthy pellet type. I found with some hay types they ignore or just use it to pee on and other types of hay they will enjoy and munch on throughout the day.

I have thought about picking them some fresh green grass in the summer months as well.

I think as long as you have done the change gradually it'll be okay, tbh I don't follow the instructions on the food packet, mine get 10 pellets a day each, and that's it. Hay is most important and they get veg twice a day too.

If you feed a small amount a bag lasts ages tbh, excel and science selective rabbit pellets are considered good. I feed the indoor excel pellets to my lot as it has vitamin D added to it.

I get all my hay from Timothyhay.co.uk as they deliver and is great quality, mine all love it!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I very much doubt whether the central heating has had any impact at all. In fact I think it's best you keep the temperature at a constant warm level. Rabbits don't do well with large changes in temperature.

Try to keep everything the same i.e. temperature, food and water.

It sounds as though Lacey is doing much better now. I hope you get a positive update from the vet regarding Lucky.

I would like to think it was the heating... something made her want to drink lots... I have no idea. Shes doing much better now and there is some color in her urine now instead of just water. Things are looking up for her. Its warm inside right now anyway so there is no need for it to be on until it gets cold again. I'll leave it on 20'C

Rabbits should always have unlimited access to hay / grass and water. Excess pellets can cause digestive issues and dental problems later. If they are hungry, they should be encouraged to eat more hay. It's much better for gut health.

I can't see why she would be going through so many bowls of water unless there was a health issue or she had no choice but to to be housed up against a hot radiator - which means she didn't have adequate space anyway - which I would have expected the RSPCA to advise on.

I would also not be letting any of the rabbits share spaces at the moment if they are not bonded. Its REALLY important to stop the spread of any disease, which means constant vigilance, disinfection, barrier nursing, and not sharing anything between the different groupings. It's difficult enough to manage in a domestic setting, so you really need to clamp down for at least a couple of months, more if it's RHD. It's not worth the risk of spreading an infection. Rabbits are too fragile.

How are the remaining babies doing?

She has a 9ft by 4ft space it wasn't against a radiator. It can get hot indoors with the central heating and the air can become dry.

The yard is my balcony, its secured so nothing can get out or on to it. I call it a yard because if I said I keep rabbits on a balcony, it don't sound good and people could get the wrong idea and think the worse. Its secured so no accidents can happen. Its an ok size and I've seen bunnies being kept in smaller spaces at the local city farm.

I would like to think it was the heating... something made her want to drink lots... I have no idea. Shes doing much better now and there is some color in her urine now instead of just water. Things are looking up for her. Its warm inside right now anyway so there is no need for it to be on until it gets cold again. I'll leave it on 20'C

I repeat my earlier advice and would keep everything at the same now for Lacey as she is improving. Try to focus on keeping her stable.

Whilst I agree that it's a very good idea to consider dietary issues for all your bunnies, I would put that to one side at the moment. Wait until they are all completely better and then we can help you with ideas for improving what they eat. My bunnies have a very natural and inexpensive diet. Most expensive and also most important item is their hay, which I order online. They also have minimal good quality pellets. I give them grass and wild foods most of the year. Any changes to diet need to be done gradually, but this should not be done until the rabbits are completely well.

I repeat my earlier advice and would keep everything at the same now for Lacey as she is improving. Try to focus on keeping her stable.

Whilst I agree that it's a very good idea to consider dietary issues for all your bunnies, I would put that to one side at the moment. Wait until they are all completely better and then we can help you with ideas for improving what they eat. My bunnies have a very natural and inexpensive diet. Most expensive and also most important item is their hay, which I order online. They also have minimal good quality pellets. I give them grass and wild foods most of the year. Any changes to diet need to be done gradually, but this should not be done until the rabbits are completely well.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Update on Lucky... he has made a recovery and I have been told he is eating and drinking fine. They advised it be best to hold him for another day so I might be able to collect him tomorrow.

I'm glad Lacey is doing better today, and that Lambchop is still doing okay, too. I hope you'll get some positive news about Lucky today. Like Graciee said, it's totally fine to call the vets for an update yourself; you don't have to wait until they call you. I always call the vets when my bunnies are ill and staying with them.

You say Lacey has access to your balcony when Lambchop isn't out there, but it's really best not to let her or Lamchop out there right now, as indoor bunnies shouldn't go outside in winter. The big difference in temperature between inside and outside is quite bad for them and can make them ill. Plus, there's the really important thing Shimmer said about them needing separate, easily disinfectable spaces right now.

Edit: You posted while I was typing. I'm really glad Lucky is doing much better!

Update on Lucky... he has made a recovery and I have been told he is eating and drinking fine. They advised it be best to hold him for another day so I might be able to collect him tomorrow.

This sounds really good news. Hopefully, all three adult bunnies will be OK and home again with you tomorrow :D

Its a relief but I don't want to get my hopes up too much I just have to work on making sure that they all continue to be fine. The fact that all the babies died so suddenly doesn't sit easy with me.

Last edited:
Its a relief but I don't want to get my hopes up too much I just have to work on making sure that they all continue to be fine. The fact that all the babies died so suddenly doesn't sit easy with me.

The most likely cause of sudden death in a group of five bunnies is going to be RHD, so I think you need to assume that is what it was and follow all the advice that Jane posted. You can also question the vet tomorrow when you pick Lucky up.

Just concentrate on keeping them all stable by maintaing their regime the same.

Very pleased to hear that Lucky is recovering and hopefully he will soon be home. I also hope that Lacey continues to do well :)

If the babies were the only ones not vaccinated then that would probably add evidence to the working hypothesis that the pathogen you have been dealing with is RHD. Vaccination can never give 100% protection, but it does give Rabbits the best chance of survival should they be exposed to the virus.
Going forward it will be important to make sure your three remaining Rabbits have their annual vaccination. I would start a savings Account and try to put aside a bit of money each week so when their boosters are due you will not have a huge amount of money to find all at the same time.

Once Lacey, Lucky and Lamb Chop are all through this current crisis and all fit and well you can start to work on slowly adjusting their diets. There is a lot of great information on the RWAF website about the best diet for Rabbits

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/

If you buy in bulk it can work out to be a lot more economical. I buy a lot of dry forage products from here

https://www.naturesgrub.co.uk/collections/rabbits

So far I have found their products to be of good quality, their delivery prompt and reliable.

I would also invest in a good disinfectant for cleaning. A deep clean now would be a good idea. This product is excellent and effective against many pathogens including RHD

https://hyperdrug.co.uk/anigene-hld...cVAafbNS0BWtsjB_kiaM219JcbLb08mhoCzHEQAvD_BwE

I would add that you should not consider taking in any more rabbits for several months (at least 4 months - from previous FHB link), no matter where they are from. It is a huge risk as it's likely to be a repeat (heartbreaking) scenario. RHD will still be lurking there, and you need to concentrate on getting the original 3 back to full health, then all neutered & diet adjusted to unlimited hay / fewer pellets.

I hope things get a little easier for you as your rabbits continue to recover.

Back