• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tragic News - bunny died, urgent advice please

Lord Trellis

Mama Doe
When I woke up this morning to feed and water my bunnies I saw that one of the baby bunnies was missing and when I found it it, I picked it up and was covered in diarrhea, literally a pool of it. I know this is very serious. I've cleaned the bunny up and removed the diarrhea from the enclosure. The bunny is dying, I literally rushed to get dressed and rush it to the nearest place I can find but sadly its too late:(

What causes this because I'm now very scared for my other bunnies that it could affect them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so very sorry :cry:

This sounds like Coccidiosis, which is very contagious. I have no experience with treating this, nor preventing its spread to other rabbits. This link gives some advice and hopefully other forum members will have had experience of it and offer some help.

https://netvet.co.uk/rabbits/coccidiosis/

You will certainly need to remove any other of your rabbits from where the baby rabbit had been. You will need to disinfect the area, but I'm afraid I do not know what you should use. Antibiotic treatment should also be started as a prevention, so I think you will need to take all of them to a vet to prevent it spreading.

I hope that you can arrange for the remaining rabbits to be treated appropriately.

I would also start a different thread in Health, specifically asking for advice. You might get a larger response.

I hope its not Coccidiosis, there is no blood, it was just yellowish diarrhea.

It looks to me like bloat a gastric dilation a blockage in the GI tract. This rabbit always had a bigger belly.

I hope its not Coccidiosis, there is no blood, it was just yellowish diarrhea.

It looks to me like bloat a gastric dilation a blockage in the GI tract. This rabbit always had a bigger belly.

I know it is more expense, but the ideal would be for you to have a PM done on the baby rabbit. That would tell you what you are dealing with and what needs to be done.

I would still advise that you get vet advice for the remaining rabbits. Also that you post a new thread in Health to get advice from any members, who have the experience to help with this.

I'm most definitely going to get a PM done because all my other rabbits are at risk at this point plus my birds..

I'm most definitely going to get a PM done because all my other rabbits are at risk at this point plus my birds..

Good :thumb: In case you are not aware, a PM has to be done within a few hours of death, so I would try to arrange it this morning.

I've moved this thread to health for you, and amended the title so that you might get a quicker response.

So sorry to hear this sad news. Seeking veterinary advice is important for the remaining bunnies.

If you would like to write a remembrance thread in Rainbow Bridge for this little one, please feel free to start a new one in that section.

Last edited:
I completely agree with how important it is to get a PM. I know someone who took in a stray rabbit last year and the rabbit had a little of 6 shortly after. The first one died at about six weeks and the others followed week by week. The symptoms (mainly lack of) were more suggestive RHD but the dead 3rd baby was PMed and it was discovered to be coccidiosis. The sooner you know for sure the more chance of saving the others.

You may find the information here useful:
https://www.birdexoticsvet.com.au/blogblog/2020/6/6/coccidiosis-in-rabbits

I am really sorry to read of your loss.

I'm going to have to get the rest to the vets literally right now, the babies are urinating water and are not active.

How worrying :'( are those babies vaccinated?

Let us know how you get on

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Oh no, I was just checking in to see how the others are doing. :(

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry you lost one of your baby bunnies. :cry: I hope the vet can find out what's going on and can help the other babies.

Watery/clear urine can happen in cases where bunnies are using up a lot of calcium and don't have any left to excrete in their urine, like growing bunnies do, or when they're drinking/eating a lot of water that dilutes the urine. But it can also point to kidney problems, so since you haven't seen this before with the babies, it definitely deserves attention.

Its too late more are dead this morning. I have only two rabbits left all babies have suddenly died over night I'm devastated. Lucky is seriously ill at deaths door.

Lambchop and Lacey appear to be fine.

Last edited:
I am very sorry :cry:

I don't want this to come across as bullying, but I would urge you to take Lambchop and Lacey to a vet asap. I think without support, they are very vulnerable.

Back