• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed - worried I poisoned my bunny…

Hi, this is my first post so please be kind. (Sorry for the long post!)

Recently I went to the dreaded p@h and purchased the Johnsons fly hutch spray as a preventive measure to avoid fly strike. Theo is an indoor bunny but I had noticed a few fruit flies in my house and thought better safe than sorry.

Turns out the safe option would have been to not buy the fly spray. Theo is a free rome rabbit but gets put away in his hutch at night to avoid him chewing on any wires. Earlier I deep cleaned his hutch and used the Johnsons hutch spray for the first time following all the instructions on the canister. 4 hours later I put him away to bed and notice for the 2 minutes he was in there that he was itching A LOT and gnawing at the bars (which he doesn’t normally do). I was concerned and immediately made the connection in my brain to the new fly spray.

I googled the product and found a post on here from 2008 detailing how he used this product and his bunny ended up in the emergency vet with poisoning that attacks the bunnies nervous system!!! His bunny was laying down unable to walk and was breathing very slow within the first 15 minutes of being in her hutch. As soon as I read this I took Theo back out of his hutch and replaced his care fresh and litter. He seems okay now, no longer itching and has none of the symptoms I saw the poster mention, acting as his normal self as I’ve been watching him for an hour. However, my health anxiety extends to my bunny and I’m frightened to go to sleep in case I wake up to him dead.

I’ve definitely learned my lesson and will not be using any new products without thorough research first. But I need advice and reassurance if anyone is willing to give it. What should I keep my eye out for? and how long should I monitor him before being able to know that he is safe? I’d appreciate any advice given!!!

Does the hutch smell at all and have plenty of ventilation? That would probably be my main concern with the spray - signs of respiratory distress.

But I don't know anything about that spray - I avoid using chemicals around pets, although I know some people have to use things to prevent flystrike. I've never had an issue in the house with the kind of flies that can cause flystrike (the big bottle flies). I get fruit flies in the house too and drain flies, etc, but they're harmless, so don't worry about the fruit flies :)

I doubt he will come to any harm but I would double rinse the hutch again with hot water

For extra reassurance you can call your Vet surgery and/or here

Biting on bars is not unusual for a Rabbit locked away at night. Rabbits are crepuscular, most active at dawn and dusk. They need access to plenty of open space 24/7. So I would also work on Bunny proofing the room he is in so he never has to be locked away

I am glad you noticed his symptoms quickly, removed him and he is acting normally now. I never used fly strike products for my indoor bunnies. To my knowledge fruit flies are not the ones that can harm a bunny.
Perhaps keep him in a carrier or enclosed in a pen or small room until you can wash the chemical from his nighttime hutch.
Your vet is the best resource for researching bunny related things.

Hi, this is my first post so please be kind. (Sorry for the long post!)

Recently I went to the dreaded p@h and purchased the Johnsons fly hutch spray as a preventive measure to avoid fly strike. Theo is an indoor bunny but I had noticed a few fruit flies in my house and thought better safe than sorry.

Turns out the safe option would have been to not buy the fly spray. Theo is a free rome rabbit but gets put away in his hutch at night to avoid him chewing on any wires. Earlier I deep cleaned his hutch and used the Johnsons hutch spray for the first time following all the instructions on the canister. 4 hours later I put him away to bed and notice for the 2 minutes he was in there that he was itching A LOT and gnawing at the bars (which he doesn’t normally do). I was concerned and immediately made the connection in my brain to the new fly spray.

I googled the product and found a post on here from 2008 detailing how he used this product and his bunny ended up in the emergency vet with poisoning that attacks the bunnies nervous system!!! His bunny was laying down unable to walk and was breathing very slow within the first 15 minutes of being in her hutch. As soon as I read this I took Theo back out of his hutch and replaced his care fresh and litter. He seems okay now, no longer itching and has none of the symptoms I saw the poster mention, acting as his normal self as I’ve been watching him for an hour. However, my health anxiety extends to my bunny and I’m frightened to go to sleep in case I wake up to him dead.

I’ve definitely learned my lesson and will not be using any new products without thorough research first. But I need advice and reassurance if anyone is willing to give it. What should I keep my eye out for? and how long should I monitor him before being able to know that he is safe? I’d appreciate any advice given!!!
Just an update :)

He’s been absolutely fine all day today & I’ve rewashed his hutch twice over with warm water now. For those who say he shouldn’t be locked up at night, I know !! Unfortunately that isn’t an option in my current house but am moving to a new home very soon where he’ll have his very own bunny proof room :)
Thank you again for all the advice !!

Back