• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Plumpkin Thread - Spay Tuesday 12th

Sending lots of vibes for Plumpkin. When I went to FHB's lectures for bunny owners she was postulating that dental buns can't eat hay rather than won't eat hay. Sending hugs for you too x

How lovely that she has perked up now that she is indoors. It will be interesting to see how she gets on with the others in the future when bonding happens.

I'm sorry to hear about Plumpkin. You're trying so hard with her and doing your vey best.

Sometimes a rabbit doesn't eat hay or grass not because they don't want to, but simply because they can't. The side to side chewing motion of grass and hay is harder with rabbits who have dental malocclusion. They can often manage the up and down grinding action to eat pellets and veggies.

What I found useful to get some fibre into a rabbit who cannot eat hay is to feed fibafirst sticks. They contain an excellent amount of fibre and also help to keep the teeth in trim as much as possible. There are a couple of alternatives here:

http://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food...care-plus-digestive-health-formula-1kg-p-5639

I have cared for so many dental buns over the years that it's no longer scary, but I can understand that feeling a problem will never be solved can be daunting. But it can be managed!!

Some useful info here I have found:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

My rabbit has had extensive surgery over the past two months and it's been heartbreaking to see. But you'll get through this together because you're both fighters :D

Thank you for the advice MM, I'm going to order the Fibre First treats on Amazon Prime today :) How many would you recommend giving her per day?

It is indeed daunting, both emotionally and financially, but wanting to make her better id a huge motivator to stay upbeat and keep going!

Thank you very much for your support Craig. I brought Plumpkin inside to my room about an hour ago and the transformation in her behaviour has been almost instant. She's been running around the room exploring and looks so much happier. If she were outside right now she'd be in a tight ball in the hutch with her eyes closed. She's like a different bunny.

I have a theory that it might be like PTS. She was in such a small hutch for her whole life - even though the one she has here is 5 times as big and constantly open to the run, it's like she shuts down when she's in that space. Whereas the bedroom with the soft carpet is a white, open space with different smells, a completely alien environment to her.

In the long run I do still want to bond her with Hamilton and Beatrice, but for now she seems really happy in here. I'm extending their run and planning on getting a shed for them to replace the hutch this summer. So by the time she's in better health, she'll have a much more exciting setup to come back to.

Phew!

Why just a theory, Beapig? PTS is not a ficticious notion here. Animals behavious is usually critical to their emotional wellbeing. Given what Plumpkin has been subject to, her natural instinct has been emotionally worn away by her former keeper. Just like us, they must surely then have emotional reaction. The body produces seratonin in all animals and it depicts moods - predominantly happy feelings. If someone including animals, have been put through som much nagativity for so long, the body withdraws the production of seratonin. So I would say that you might be bang on he mark with PTS. Quite how you deal with that is another matter. She clearly loves attention and the company of you in your environment and that is what is making her happy as you can clearly see the change in her. This will help kick start the positive reactions in her body and mind. She has been horrifically caged in a tortuously small environment and she now associates anything like that with bad feelings. So in my view, emotionally it will take time and patience because she will probably harbour these negative memories. But one thing is definate - she is showered with love and affection on a scale she could only have wished for. Every day, every moment she spends with you is like warm rays of sunshine in her life and she is responding to that because you care and you love - things Plumpkin will pick up on and thrive on. She IS a special bun - one who brings a tear to my eyes, but you are also very special and she deserves every ounce of love and care you are giving her. Bravo to you. Give her a good nose rub from me please and keep us updated. x

Thank you very much for your support Craig. I brought Plumpkin inside to my room about an hour ago and the transformation in her behaviour has been almost instant. She's been running around the room exploring and looks so much happier. If she were outside right now she'd be in a tight ball in the hutch with her eyes closed. She's like a different bunny.

I have a theory that it might be like PTS. She was in such a small hutch for her whole life - even though the one she has here is 5 times as big and constantly open to the run, it's like she shuts down when she's in that space. Whereas the bedroom with the soft carpet is a white, open space with different smells, a completely alien environment to her.

In the long run I do still want to bond her with Hamilton and Beatrice, but for now she seems really happy in here. I'm extending their run and planning on getting a shed for them to replace the hutch this summer. So by the time she's in better health, she'll have a much more exciting setup to come back to.

Phew!

I’m so pleased she has perked up :thumb: if you would like to try her on fibafirst and/or Readigrass (I have original, green oat and Timothy Readigrass) I could send you some for her to try before you buy any :thumb: PM me your address if you’d like some :thumb:

Why just a theory, Beapig? PTS is not a ficticious notion here. Animals behavious is usually critical to their emotional wellbeing. Given what Plumpkin has been subject to, her natural instinct has been emotionally worn away by her former keeper. Just like us, they must surely then have emotional reaction. The body produces seratonin in all animals and it depicts moods - predominantly happy feelings. If someone including animals, have been put through som much nagativity for so long, the body withdraws the production of seratonin. So I would say that you might be bang on he mark with PTS. Quite how you deal with that is another matter. She clearly loves attention and the company of you in your environment and that is what is making her happy as you can clearly see the change in her. This will help kick start the positive reactions in her body and mind. She has been horrifically caged in a tortuously small environment and she now associates anything like that with bad feelings. So in my view, emotionally it will take time and patience because she will probably harbour these negative memories. But one thing is definate - she is showered with love and affection on a scale she could only have wished for. Every day, every moment she spends with you is like warm rays of sunshine in her life and she is responding to that because you care and you love - things Plumpkin will pick up on and thrive on. She IS a special bun - one who brings a tear to my eyes, but you are also very special and she deserves every ounce of love and care you are giving her. Bravo to you. Give her a good nose rub from me please and keep us updated. x

I think you're absolutely right Craig, thank you for your very kind words. Lots of cuddles and kisses due to make this lady feel loved again! I think she's also definitely still in some level of pain, so back to the vet tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated :)

I’m so pleased she has perked up :thumb: if you would like to try her on fibafirst and/or Readigrass (I have original, green oat and Timothy Readigrass) I could send you some for her to try before you buy any :thumb: PM me your address if you’d like some :thumb:

That's such a generous offer, thank you Zoobec! I'll PM you now :)

Thank you for the advice MM, I'm going to order the Fibre First treats on Amazon Prime today :) How many would you recommend giving her per day?

It is indeed daunting, both emotionally and financially, but wanting to make her better id a huge motivator to stay upbeat and keep going!

I would weigh out the normal amount of pellets and then feed the same amount of Fibafirst.

If you want to put weight on her then a little more than that.

Some info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?413060-Those-that-feed-Fibafirst

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?429171-Fibafirst-help-please

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?348975-What-amount-of-Fibafirst-to-give

I feed quite a bit to keep weight on an elder bun, so it all depends - mix it in slowly and see how it works out. It's very much the same components as pellets so there should be no trouble changing over or mixing them together :)

Thank you for the advice MM <3

Plumpkin is back in for an emergency op today. The vet was not happy at all with how her teeth were looking yesterday and she has lost weight again. He thinks there may be more loose teeth to come out :( Please send vibes for my girl, she's going through the mill with all of this.

Plumpkin is back in for an emergency op today. The vet was not happy at all with how her teeth were looking yesterday and she has lost weight again. He thinks there may be more loose teeth to come out :( Please send vibes for my girl, she's going through the mill with all of this.

:cry: sending lots of vibes for her xx

Poor little Plumpkin, and poor you! You are doing your best for her and we can only hope she gets to enjoy life when her teeth are sorted out.

Loads of vibes for Plumpkins dental - poor wee girlie. Can you imagine what she'd be going through if she hadn't been rescued by you :(

Sending loads of vibes for Plumpkin. I am so sorry about this. You are amazing to cope with it all, but I am sure it's laying a great strain on you.

Hugs xx

Sending millions of vibes for the beautiful plumpkin. I shed a tear each time I read that she's having more surgery and my thoughts are with her all day. Hoping she recovers from this latest treatment- she is such a strong willed bunny. Hugs for you too.

Back