• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What amount of Fibafirst to give?

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
I've got my sample pack of Fibafirst today and it looks much different than I was expecting!! But none the less I am going to persevere with it because I really think its going to have good benefits for them both.

The packet says that for a 1kg bunny to give 30g a day. The sample pack's were 50g in size! So 30g looks quite a large amount!!

Walter and Lola are 1.2kg ish each.

Do people who give Fibafirst give the amount it says on the packet? Or give less? Can anyone give me a guide on how much to give?

I weighed out their normal pellets and then gave the same weight in fibafirst, although obviously you have to do the change over 2 weeks, so I just gave a bit of a stick as a treat at first. Make sure you weigh them as they are a lot lighter than they look due to the fact they are 30% fibre and have actual bits of hay in them, they arent as concentrated as normal pellets.

For me I think it worked out about 2 and a half fullsize (or equivalent in broken ones) for one bun and 3-4 fullsize plus a handful of excel junior pellets for the other bun (he gets extra pellets as he has issues with his weight). Really, to make sure they get the right amount you need to weigh it everyday or have a scoop, as all the sticks are different sizes as they break easily.

Use the sample pack to work out whether the buns like them, but you'll need to buy a big pack before you switch, as you'll get through 50g pretty quickly.

I weighed out their normal pellets and then gave the same weight in fibafirst, although obviously you have to do the change over 2 weeks, so I just gave a bit of a stick as a treat at first. Make sure you weigh them as they are a lot lighter than they look due to the fact they are 30% fibre and have actual bits of hay in them, they arent as concentrated as normal pellets.

For me I think it worked out about 2 and a half fullsize (or equivalent in broken ones) for one bun and 3-4 fullsize plus a handful of excel junior pellets for the other bun (he gets extra pellets as he has issues with his weight). Really, to make sure they get the right amount you need to weigh it everyday or have a scoop, as all the sticks are different sizes as they break easily.

Use the sample pack to work out whether the buns like them, but you'll need to buy a big pack before you switch, as you'll get through 50g pretty quickly.

Thanks this is really helpful. I thought they were much lighter! Did you buns like them immediately? They both nibbled at a big and then left it. I really want them to like it because I think its much better than their Excel.

Thanks this is really helpful. I thought they were much lighter! Did you buns like them immediately? They both nibbled at a big and then left it. I really want them to like it because I think its much better than their Excel.

Yes they liked them, although normal pellets are more concentrated and so I found mine liked them better, as the fibafirst ones have so much hay in them. It took one of mine a week or so till they decided they really loved them, they werent sure at first. They are certainly much better than excel, as excel adult is 19% fibre, but if you find yours dont like them you could always try the new Supreme Science Selective adult pellets, the new bags are 25% fibre so still much better than the excel ones.

Be sure to weigh them before you start feeding fibafirst though, and keep an eye on their weight, as Elena on here found her buns put on weight with the same weight fibafirst as her old pellets, so after a while she reduced the amount slightly. I didnt feed my two consistently enough to be able to comment on that, as I started using them as treats to keep them quiet at night too, so I was feeding more.

My sample pack came the other day, it took the buns a while to get used to them after much chin rubbing :lol:

I'm providing mine as supper once the bag of evil muesli has been eaten, they will then get maybe 3 sticks each.

They get SS pellets twice a day and unlimited hay so I don't see any issues working out what to give mine

Yes they liked them, although normal pellets are more concentrated and so I found mine liked them better, as the fibafirst ones have so much hay in them. It took one of mine a week or so till they decided they really loved them, they werent sure at first. They are certainly much better than excel, as excel adult is 19% fibre, but if you find yours dont like them you could always try the new Supreme Science Selective adult pellets, the new bags are 25% fibre so still much better than the excel ones.

Be sure to weigh them before you start feeding fibafirst though, and keep an eye on their weight, as Elena on here found her buns put on weight with the same weight fibafirst as her old pellets, so after a while she reduced the amount slightly. I didnt feed my two consistently enough to be able to comment on that, as I started using them as treats to keep them quiet at night too, so I was feeding more.

Actually it wasn't the same weight but the same volume, i just filled their normal pellet scoop with fibafirst. I can't be completely sure they did put on weight as I don't really have decent enough scales to weigh them but they seemed to fill out more than usual.

We're back to normal pellets now. I just find them easier. Means I have to handfeed Nutmeg (or they have a scrap over the pellets) but that's not a big deal and I quite enjoy it now I've worked out why she lunges at you and bites when you handfeed!

And is that all the 'dried' food you give them? A lot of people seem to use them as treats rather than the primary food!

Pellets arent a primary food, hay and grass are, pellets act as a protein and vitamin supplement, so they arent really needed if bun is getting their nutrition elsewhere and has access to sunlight (not through windows etc) for vitamin D and is healthy.

Hay should make up 80-95% of a bun's diet, pellets are only a very small part, maybe 5%, if that.

Pellets arent a primary food, hay and grass are, pellets act as a protein and vitamin supplement, so they arent really needed if bun is getting their nutrition elsewhere and has access to sunlight (not through windows etc) for vitamin D and is healthy.

Hay should make up 80-95% of a bun's diet, pellets are only a very small part, maybe 5%, if that.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I know hay and grass are the main parts. Most people seem to use Fibafirst as a treat rather than using them instead of pellets.

Back