• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Over-use of the 'Wink' Emoticon Thread -(Single Buns etc

Totallly agree with you Jill, she is one of those bunnies who was so very happy on her own! There will always be rabbits who are happy alone, just as there are people who aren't that keen on human company!!

aaawww Archie is adorable!! I wish i could have another bunny :? I do hope he finds his perfect home really soon

I’m a firm believer in keeping rabbits in pairs/groups and I believe there isn’t such as thing as an un-bondable rabbit. I’m lucky in that I have the space/time and finance to keep as many rabbits as I do and as a result I don’t have any singles.

BUT with the current rescue situation like it is I think its madness to turn down a home that can offer the correct accommodation/care and companionship to a single rabbit.

Surely a single rabbit is much better off in a home like the above rather then sat in rescue for months taking up valuable space?

Single rabbit homes obviously need to be carefully chosen but as we can see on the forum there are some VERY happy single rabbits out there.

Louise

Every rescue has their own policies on housing, food, bonding etc. and that's up to the individual rescue. They're the ones doing the work - why shouldn't they set the rules.

There is no rule that says a rescue must settle for something that they consider less than the best for a rabbit because of the number of homes needed. Should they settle for rehoming rabbits in 3' hutches because they would rehome more?

People have different opinions on what is best and some people believe just as strongly that rabbits should be kept in pairs as other believe they shouldn't live in 3' hutches.

Perhaps we could all respect other peoples right to their own opinion? And not ask them to compremise their believe just because we happen to disagree?

Tamsin said:
Every rescue has their own policies on housing, food, bonding etc. and that's up to the individual rescue. They're the ones doing the work - why shouldn't they set the rules.

There is no rule that says a rescue must settle for something that they consider less than the best for a rabbit because of the number of homes needed. Should they settle for rehoming rabbits in 3' hutches because they would rehome more?

People have different opinions on what is best and some people believe just as strongly that rabbits should be kept in pairs as other believe they shouldn't live in 3' hutches.

Perhaps we could all respect other peoples right to their own opinion? And not ask them to compremise their believe just because we happen to disagree?

:thumb:

Janex

Tamsin said:

I think that's a very valid point - I'm sure all rescues have the rabbits best interests in mind and want the best home for them - sadly it might not be with someone who would really like them.

I want a french lop buck to bond with Frida and my local rescue had one - but they did tell me that in this case I wouldnt be a suitable owner as he had to go outdoors and all mine are indoors. It wasnt a problem for me though as I respect their opinions and advice and clearly I wouldnt have offered the best home for that rabbit. Surely its the welfare of the rabbit that counts and if a rescue feels that its better to rehome a bunny to be bonded then they are entitled to that opinion.

Obviously its different if a rabbit would be almost impossible to bond - then a rescue should be flexible. My Bracken came to me as a single bunny but only because the rescue knew that she didnt like other rabbits and I had the spare time to make sure that she is given lots of attention. But if there had been the slightest chance that she could have bonded then I think it would have been right to have insisted that she be rehomed to be bonded.

oh dear .

this discussion always rears its head from time to time and so far i have always stayed out of it .

id just like to say that
1..all rescues are different /have different policies etc

2...All rabbits are different

3...All potential homes are different

Its not easy deciding which rabbits go where . having set policies make this a little easier as it gives us guidelines .

And it is NOT NICE OR EASY to say no to someone even if you know you are doing the right thing ....so please spare a thought for us making the decisions .

Angie

bunnymadhouse said:
oh dear .

this discussion always rears its head from time to time and so far i have always stayed out of it .

id just like to say that

Its not easy deciding which rabbits go where . having set policies make this a little easier as it gives us guidelines .

And it is NOT NICE OR EASY to say no to someone even if you know you are doing the right thing ....so please spare a thought for us making the decisions .

Angie

well said angie :D

I know I wouldn't like to make a decision :thumb:

Jane - you've had me in stitches re title to this thread. Every time I log onto RU it's changed! :wink: :lol:

mandy said:
Denny said:
does this not prompt responsible people going to the free ads for a rabbit which then, fuels the petshops :? :? :?

I dont understand this comment- how is rehoming an unwanted PET off freeads (ie. child got bored etc not from a breeder) fuelling petshops? :?

I cant see anything wrong in giving a freeads animal a home- only good in fact. Only problem is the potential dent in your purse if you end up with a pregnant or sick rabbit!

Hi Mandy

My comment regarding taking buns from the free ads was not refering to the 'free' ones, the majority of free ad rabbits are actually priced which then shows the advertiser that there is money to be made in breeding rabbits ie: if you had a litter of say 7 and sold them at £10 each, thats an easy £70 made for doing nothing :wink: and as we know, many are higher priced than this :wink: if the demand is there the supply will be there :wink: It also shows others that there is money to be made and so hence going to a petshop for a rabbit to breed from :( (only the truely experienced breeder would know the in's and outs of how to breed properly but to a novice, the easiest thing to do is go to a petshop where there will be 'no questions asked' :wink:

Sadly there is also another side to rehoming for free and that is, there is and always will be a percentage of people who just love baby animals and do not see an adult animal as cute anymore and so rehome the adult only to be replaced with a 'cute' baby. I have witnessed as well as seen a person who will rehome an adult animal only to then go out and get a puppy, kitten, :cry: all of which fuels some-ones pockets but mainly petshops.

I am not saying that the free rabbits dont deserve a home and appreciate that there are some really genuine cases out there but until these people realise that they are not an easy come easy go purchase they will never learn.

I know I feel strongly about trying to solve the cause and not the problem but I feel this will get worse unless everyone pulls resources to educate those shops that still sell livestock so that people are told all the facts about keeping rabbits - difficult task I know but I bet if the public where given true facts prior to purchase and perhaps a cooling off period before picking animal up, it would stop purchasing on a whim maybe :?

bunnymadhouse said:
oh dear .

id just like to say that

Angie

I have never said I disagreed with a rescue having its own rehoming policies, and I am sure it is very hard to have to refuse a home, what I am trying to say is:-

All rescues are extremely busy, this we can certainly understand. We can appreciate that certain rabbits have certain needs and certain homes and as we have heard so many times, rescues do not always have the time to respond to emails or pm's so would it not be easier on everyone to list the criteria needs of the rabbit that is listed in the RIN and on RR.

I have gone through many of the rescues websites now and note that most just state that a homecheck is required, nothing about accomodation size, rehoming as a singleton or only to be paired, whether they rehome outside their area so to a potential adopter, we as the public are non the wiser as to whether we are suitable sooooo, contacting the rescue to only be told that we are not suitable only wastes time on both parties :(

We have all been there when that 'certain rabbit' pulls at our heart strings and we feel that 'this is the one' and get all excited only to be told that for some reason we do not fit the criteria, however, if the rescue where to list the criteria that is needed for a particual rabbit then we would see for ourselves whether or not we would be wasting the rescues time as well as our own.

Sorry Eve, going to use you as an example here but :lol: :lol:

Eve put this rabbit in the RIN section, has said that he is not on her website yet or on RR, Suzzy offered a home through RU, not through Eves website which means she did not see Eves rehoming policy. No special requirements where listed for this rabbit that Eve requires, ie: not rehoming out of the area and not as a solo rabbit. Had Suzzy of known this she would not of offered a home, thus saving time on both parts with pm'ing etc and thus, illiminating embarrassement on both sides with what happened in this topic.

Had Suzzy not written that she did not fit the criteria for this bun (which she did'nt know because Eve had not written her requirements) everyone would be under the assumption that Suzzy was having the bun. Then a few months down the line, Eve would have re-advertised this bun, people would query why Suzy had not had him, be told the home fell through which then portrays that Suzy is an un-suitable home :roll: This then leaves people wondering what is wrong with Suzy which is wrong. All it would of taken is for Eve to come back on and say 'Hi folks, forget to mention that I have certain requirements for this bun, one of them being I will not rehome out of the area' then Suzy could of replied 'rules me out then' :lol: :lol: :lol: The topic then would of taken a different path rather than the one it has taken :wink:

Perhaps rescues could list their policies (like some do) on RR but also in RIN for those who are lazy muggers like me and dont visit the rescues website, would save time and trouble for both the rescues and the public.

Even listing accomadation sizes required would also help so that people have a chance of rectifying theirs if need be in order to go ahead with a homecheck :wink: So many topics where a homecheck failed wasting time on the rescues part but if these requirements were listed it gives people a chance to come upto the rescues standard and hopefully the homecheck will then not be a waste of time and energy :wink:

Each rescue has the right to have their own policies which I am not denying is the right thing to do for themselves and for the welfare of the rabbits in their care. As Jo public, would it not benefit us to know what those policies are so that we do not waste the rescues time:wink:

If a rescue is too embarrassed to list their requirements can only suggest that they are embarrassed to for fear of getting slated by others, but why? these rescue set its own policies so there should be nothing to be embarrassed about :D

On a different note:

Why do people keep suddenly write in CAPITALS, it reads perfectly the same in lower case and is still readable :roll: To me it looks like people are trying to shout or something or trying to make us listen :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very good Denny, agree totally.

I just looked on Eve'e webiste and it states....

Rabbits are social animals, and as such we prefer NOT to rehome a rabbit to live on their own. All rabbits will either be homed as pairs, or to live with an existing single rabbit, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

I know I would class a five year old, one eyed house bun as "exceptional circumstances" so can understand that even if Suzie had looked on the website she would of got confused and ended up hurt anyway.

Well I must say so far Jill (luvabun) Nicola Denny and Tree have all made comments which I agree with 100% :D

This is a very intersting thread :thumb: Glad it was started :D

Maybe Jane could change the title now to "Archie - a very interesting all round view thread" :lol:

It just goes to show how differently people can interpret 'exceptional circumstances' doesn't it, I'd interpret that statement as meaning that all buns will be housed in pairs unless there is an exceptional reason not to (e.g. the rabbit hates other rabbits, etc). At least Eve makes it quite clear from that statement that the normal expectation is that buns will not be housed to live as single buns :wink:

I understand the issue about rescues making their policies clear, but to be quite honest, most rescues are busy enough looking after the animals in their care to worry about typing great paragraphs about each bun and the requirements. I'd also take a fair guess that most average people only get as far as the 'animals for rehoming' page on a website and don't actually read most of the other information :wink: In an ideal world, we would all understand where we stood before asking, but sadly time limitations just don't always make that possible.

AlisonA said:
It just goes to show how differently people can interpret 'exceptional circumstances' doesn't it, I'd interpret that statement as meaning that all buns will be housed in pairs unless there is an exceptional reason not to (e.g. the rabbit hates other rabbits, etc). At least Eve makes it quite clear from that statement that the normal expectation is that buns will not be housed to live as single buns :wink:

I understand the issue about rescues making their policies clear, but to be quite honest, most rescues are busy enough looking after the animals in their care to worry about typing great paragraphs about each bun and the requirements. I'd also take a fair guess that most average people only get as far as the 'animals for rehoming' page on a website and don't actually read most of the other information :wink: In an ideal world, we would all understand where we stood before asking, but sadly time limitations just don't always make that possible.

Hmmmm well I understand they are busy but no offence writing out great paragraphs so things are clear from day one is extremely important imo!

Plus if people are too busy to do that surely they are too busy to post on forums too? :?

AlisonA said:
I understand the issue about rescues making their policies clear, but to be quite honest, most rescues are busy enough looking after the animals in their care to worry about typing great paragraphs about each bun and the requirements. .

But all the more so for taking the time Alison as it results in time saving, surely not having to reply to pointless emails and wasted journeys doing a home check means the rescue have more time to look after the buns in their care. Also, all it takes is a few standard paragraphs in a word document, or word pad and all the rescue has to do it copy and paste what paragrah they want onto an ad, takes all of 30 seconds so no need to keep writing the same thing :wink:

There are busier places like the high courts, CAB & CAC that all have standard letters, they have to due to lack of time and saves time in typing out the same info time and time again :wink: All rescues surely have a care sheet that they print off to give to adopters, works on the same principle with writing criteria, the difference being it is copied and pasted on a pc :wink: :D

Well, if you look at the post in Rabbits in Need, and you read the last line, it says she is looking for a home with a female companion.

And why should a one-eyed rabbit fall under "exceptional circumstances"? I think he deserves a bunny friend even more to make him feel comfortable.

What's more important - writing great paragraphs so a person doesn't take offence, or looking after the buns :wink: Especially as shown above - if people don't read it anyway it isn't going to avoid responding to emails and calls.

Is it really our place to tell rescues that they can't have 10 minutes of light relief by chatting on a forum, instead they should be working solidly from dawn till dusk :wink: I don't think that's my place. If I feel strongly enough about it, I'd offer to help rescues to update their web pages to ensure that things are clear, instead of criticising them for not doing it.

Back