• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding..bunny screamed is this the final straw?

Bunnymum4

Young Bun
So iv been trying bond my widowed outdoor boy with my indoor male and female. Long story short, single boy constantly lunges and bites my bonded boy. Relentlessly. Its breaking my heart. Been nearly 3 weeks no change. Today huge turn for worse my bonded boy screamed as he went for him. Nobody hurt but the curdling sound I last heard when my teddy died has shaken me to the core. They were being bonded on neutral territory with plenty separate areas with hay and treats and hideouts. Single boy tolerates indoor girl but hates boy. Will not be nice. Since indoor boy screamed iv put single boy back out and put them.back in their room. I'm devastated. Can this ever work now.or shall I stop?

Oh, poor boy, being so terrified... I'm sorry it's just not going well. :( I'd be leaning towards stopping, but something to consider is that bunnies are really good at picking up human emotions, and this is where professional bonders come in really handy. You've been going through a lot, and you clearly love your bunnies so much, and you've mentioned being so stressed and worried about the bonding. The bunnies will pick up on this, and I'm not saying that to blame you, because the bonding not going well is absolutely not your fault. It's just that when we're stressed, it tends to stress our bunnies, too, while if we're calm and confident during bonding, I've noticed that the bunnies feel more calm and confident, too. So, this is why professional bonders are good, because they're completely impartial and aren't so emotionally invested in the bunnies, and won't get stressed if it's not going well. Plus, of course, they're really skilled at bonding bunnies and have a lot of experience with it, and can help with individual bunnies' social skills to make the bonding go better. So, if you have someone near where you live who bonds bunnies professionaly, that might be worth a try if you don't want to give up yet, but if that's not an option, then I think it might be best to stop, sadly, as your indoor boy is so very scared.

Oh, poor boy, being so terrified... I'm sorry it's just not going well. :( I'd be leaning towards stopping, but something to consider is that bunnies are really good at picking up human emotions, and this is where professional bonders come in really handy. You've been going through a lot, and you clearly love your bunnies so much, and you've mentioned being so stressed and worried about the bonding. The bunnies will pick up on this, and I'm not saying that to blame you, because the bonding not going well is absolutely not your fault. It's just that when we're stressed, it tends to stress our bunnies, too, while if we're calm and confident during bonding, I've noticed that the bunnies feel more calm and confident, too. So, this is why professional bonders are good, because they're completely impartial and aren't so emotionally invested in the bunnies, and won't get stressed if it's not going well. Plus, of course, they're really skilled at bonding bunnies and have a lot of experience with it, and can help with individual bunnies' social skills to make the bonding go better. So, if you have someone near where you live who bonds bunnies professionaly, that might be worth a try if you don't want to give up yet, but if that's not an option, then I think it might be best to stop, sadly, as your indoor boy is so very scared.

good advice - I agree

So iv been trying bond my widowed outdoor boy with my indoor male and female. Long story short, single boy constantly lunges and bites my bonded boy. Relentlessly. Its breaking my heart. Been nearly 3 weeks no change. Today huge turn for worse my bonded boy screamed as he went for him. Nobody hurt but the curdling sound I last heard when my teddy died has shaken me to the core. They were being bonded on neutral territory with plenty separate areas with hay and treats and hideouts. Single boy tolerates indoor girl but hates boy. Will not be nice. Since indoor boy screamed iv put single boy back out and put them.back in their room. I'm devastated. Can this ever work now.or shall I stop?

I would stop.

I would think about the other options already suggested in your other threads- moving the two indoor Rabbits outdoor and having the single Rabbit indoors

Having all of them indoors, but not as a bonded trio

Seeking the support of a reputable Rescue to find a new home for the single Buck. You could ask if they would put him on their waiting list to sign over, all rescues I know of are full to capacity at the moment so have long waiting lists. Some Rescues will agree to advertise the Rabbit on their website whilst the Rabbit remains in his/her current home.

Did you do anything about confirming the gender of the Buck? You mentioned wondering if he might be a she or that he might still be entire.

I would be very vigilant that all Rabbits continue to eat and poo normally as stress can trigger reduced gut motility/ gut stasis

Personally I would not attempt to bond them all again. Sometimes things just don’t work out. It’s no reflection on what you are doing, it’s just that the Rabbits simply don’t like each other. So don’t feel that you have caused the bonding not to work out by doing anything wrong.

A screaming bunny is a very stressed bunny. I wouldn't keep trying with this bond.

Having them live side by side could be a workable option - either indoors or out, but I would be reluctant to have a single rabbit living outside in winter.

A screaming bunny is a very stressed bunny. I wouldn't keep trying with this bond.

Having them live side by side could be a workable option - either indoors or out, but I would be reluctant to have a single rabbit living outside in winter.

Completely agree with this. I would not keep trying. Bunnies do not forget when they have been very scared like this. So even if you were to get someone else to bond them for you, I consider that could be a fragile bond and could break down at any time with serious consequences. It's a risk I would not take.

Concentrate on the other options you've been given. IM has set these out very clearly for you.

I am sorry you had to go through that and be reminded of Teddy. Bonded boy must have been so afraid and I would not put him through that again.
It is not a reflection on you.
Sending hugs.

So even if you were to get someone else to bond them for you, I consider that could be a fragile bond and could break down at any time with serious consequences.

I have known this to happen a lot, unfortunately. Also, to add, in my 25 years of caring for Rabbits, 152 in total, trio bonds are never as stable as pair bonds. There is often one of the trio who is an outsider. The only exception to this I have ever experienced first hand is when the trio were siblings.

I honestly cannot thank everyone enough for their help with this. I'm stopping and ill adopt an outdoor bun as a friend for thumper. I can offer a perfect life for another bun with free run of garden all day and brand new hutch and double garage so seems the best solution all round. Your all so kind to take your time out to give me such great heart felt advice. Thank you xx

I honestly cannot thank everyone enough for their help with this. I'm stopping and ill adopt an outdoor bun as a friend for thumper. I can offer a perfect life for another bun with free run of garden all day and brand new hutch and double garage so seems the best solution all round. Your all so kind to take your time out to give me such great heart felt advice. Thank you xx
That sounds like the best solution for everyone, so well done. :love: I know you initially didn't want to adopt a companion for your outdoor bunny, so the fact that you changed your mind really says you want the best for him, and I really respect that. And you'll be giving a great home to a new bunny as well. :love:

That does sound like the best option for everyone. I also suggest getting the outside bunny checked by a vet to confirm gender and neuter status - it may affect the choice of a future partner.
Bunny with the runny eye could also do with a checkover and get that sorted out now things are settling down again.

Bunny with the runny eye could also do with a checkover and get that sorted out now things are settling down again.

I agree with this advice and to add, free roaming in a garden is not advisable unless the Rabbits are supervised all of the time. No garden can be 100% predator proof.

https://www.nibbles.org.uk/post/free-roaming

So it would be best to have a large kennel/aviary type set up that offers lots of space and environmental enrichment whilst also insuring the Rabbits are safe. There is a lot of advice on the RWAF website regarding suitable outdoor accommodation

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/outdoor-housing/

If you contact a local Rescue they are bound to have a lot of potential friends for your outdoor boy :) They will probably offer you help and advice with bonding too. By adopting from a reputable Rescue you will be able to guarantee the Rabbit has been health checked, neutered and vaccinated. They will also know for certain the gender of the Rabbit.

It’s great that you have been able to move forward to preparing to adopt a Rabbit for you single buck to live with :) The other thing about adopting from a reputable Rescue is that you will be helping two Rabbits, the one you adopt and the one the Rescue will be able to take in, in his/her place :)

Last edited:
Good luck on finding a companion for your lone bunny, I think thats a lovely thing to do. You did so well in attempting to do a bond, I've never done it, but know how stressful and hard it can be, so well done for sticking with it for so long. I hope this will take the pressure off you a little bit now.

Thanks for the support everyone. The garden is protected in areas bunnys go so is nice and safe though my boys mostly use the set up I have in the double garage its like their own apartment carpeted and full of dens and hides. The idea of replacing his brother was too much to bear at first for me but I have to think of him. I have a friend with a lone girl similar age so we are in talks!!! X

That does sound like the best option for everyone. I also suggest getting the outside bunny checked by a vet to confirm gender and neuter status - it may affect the choice of a future partner.

I cant lie i am terrified of vets. They harmed my teddy which I believe led to his early and horrific passing. I know its sticky eye and he copes with it. I'm terrified if I take him vet they will hurt him like before. I don't know what to do

I cant lie i am terrified of vets. They harmed my teddy which I believe led to his early and horrific passing. I know its sticky eye and he copes with it. I'm terrified if I take him vet they will hurt him like before. I don't know what to do

This is something you will need to work on. Keeping any Pet means that consulting a Vet will always be essential at some stage. So I would research the location of a Rabbit Savvy Vet that you are able to get to. Whilst what happened to Teddy was tragic and I do empathise with how traumatised you are, the welfare of your other Rabbits is dependent on them having any health concerns addressed in a timely manner. They will need their vaccinations every year too.

There are a few Rabbit Savvy Vets in the Manchester area. Take a look on here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/recommended-rabbit-friendly-vets/

Hi so just a littleback info. I researched best rabbit vet as I decided my normal local vet seemed to know less than me and teddy was eating but not himself so I knew wasn't straightforward. It was quite far but I wasn't bothered. This is the vet that dropped and effectively killed the kindest boy in the world. They told lie after lie. In the end I went back to my local vet and they mishandled ted and in his fragile state he had a huge heart attack. I'm scarred and horrified from 2 vets letting my boy down. Vaccinations are ok as I can be there. I have no trust in them absolutely none

Hi so just a littleback info. I researched best rabbit vet as I decided my normal local vet seemed to know less than me and teddy was eating but not himself so I knew wasn't straightforward. It was quite far but I wasn't bothered. This is the vet that dropped and effectively killed the kindest boy in the world. They told lie after lie. In the end I went back to my local vet and they mishandled ted and in his fragile state he had a huge heart attack. I'm scarred and horrified from 2 vets letting my boy down. Vaccinations are ok as I can be there. I have no trust in them absolutely none

Well as I said, if anyone takes on any Pet then consulting a Vet when the Pet is sick is the owners legal responsibility. I am not trying to be unkind to you or dismissive of your trauma. It is valid and very real. But the welfare of animals must always come first. If, for whatever reason, we are not able to provide the care they need then we must evaluate whether we should have Pets.

I too have had some dreadful experiences with a couple of Vets who, IMO, harmed my Dog and one of my previous Rabbits. But I don’t think all Vets are ‘bad’ based on those two dreadful experiences several years ago.

What would you do if one of your Rabbits became unwell now?

As I said, I really am not trying to minimise how profoundly you have been effected by what happened to Teddy. It was an awful experience and one that most people would struggle to process. But you do have a responsibility, both moral and legal, to meet the welfare needs of the Rabbits you still have. One of those responsibilities is to seek Veterinary attention if any of them are sick or injured. Not doing so would be breaking the law.

The Animal Welfare Act 2006

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

Back