• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Over-use of the 'Wink' Emoticon Thread -(Single Buns etc

Yes but Eve you should know that sometimes when people are turned down for a particular rabbit...not for personal reasons but in the interests of the bunny..it is easy for the person to over react...! :?

and Suzi if rescues didn't have standards some rabbits would end up in dreadful situations ...

honeybunny said:
Yes but Eve you should know that sometimes when people are turned down for a particular rabbit...not for personal reasons but in the interests of the bunny..it is easy for the person to over react...! :?

and Suzi if rescues didn't have standards some rabbits would end up in dreadful situations ...

At least most rescues have adoption fees, so people who adopt, can't make money by re-selling them on Freeads then.
I am glad that Kayj trusted me with Snoopy, I did not have a homecheck, and Snoopy was no neutered when I got him. I could have used him for breeding after all. I would probably be quite fussy about where my bunnies go to, as well. I'd prefer to bond my bunnies at the rescue instead of sending them somewhere far away and then they don't get along with the other bunny.

Yes that's definitely one thing I've learnt from homechecking and helping out around rescues - it's not always as simple as whether the home is generally suitable for rabbits, it's just as much about whether the match of owner and rabbit is a good one. They all have individual foibles and personalities and part of the art of being a good rescue is matching animal to owner. I do expect it's very hard to be told 'no' though, even if it is a case of it being in the interests of that particular rabbit, rather than because someone is not considered to be a suitable owner in general.

It can vary so much depending on circumstances - you probably wouldn't home a rabbit which has previously been attacked by a dog, to a household with dogs, for example, even if the owners were brilliant with rabbits and their other rabbits have great accommodation, are well looked after and don't mind the dogs. Nor, therefore, is it necessarily fair on the rabbit to send especially an older one on a long trek to a home where there is no guarantee of the bonding working out and the rabbit either ending up alone or having to endure a long trek back down the country :cry:

Hope that makes sense :?

I am shocked by this - Suzi would offer a fab home and give a solo bun loads of attention - so am I cruel for having Bambi on her own she gets loads of love from me and my family. Say if there was a bunny which hated all other buns and wanted to live alone and was happy alone is this still not acceptable?

Suzi I am sure another rescue would home a bunny to you hope you dont feel too upset I know I would take it personally it would knock my confidence

Snoopy wasn't neutered when Bavarian Bunny adopted him as she offered to get him done and did let me know as soon as she had, had him done. However for all there was no homecheck I had a chat with some names Gisela had given me.
I do rehome solo bunnies as do some other rescue but we each have our own policy's and they have to be respected by prospective adopters.

BirdieBun said:
I am shocked by this - Suzi would offer a fab home and give a solo bun loads of attention - so am I cruel for having Bambi on her own she gets loads of love from me and my family. Say if there was a bunny which hated all other buns and wanted to live alone and was happy alone is this still not acceptable?

I'm quite sure she would offer a fab home, but plenty of rescues, not just Eve, have a policy where buns won't be housed to be single buns. Presumably many of these also take extenuating circumstances, e.g. a bun who genuinely seems to hate other buns, into consideration and would be flexible in those circumstances, but how can you make that judgement on a bun that hasn't been tried with others? :wink:

I think this thread as got out of hand a little and should be locked as it as gone completely of the subject title on to Rescues Policies. I bet Jane is now really sorry she started it :lol: :lol: .

RU is a friendly forum and is probably one of the biggest rabbit forums going so their is bound to be clash of personalities and this has been all said before over and over again. We all have our own opinions on certain things but we should also remember so do others and are going to voice them. As long as it doesn't become into personal attacks then everyone as the right to voice their opinion.
And that is my opinion :D and sorry if I have offeneded anybody

To add I have turned down people for particualr buns..but have let them adopt others..A rabbits individual needs MUST be taken into account.

kayj said:
I think this thread as got out of hand a little and should be locked as it as gone completely of the subject title on to Rescues Policies.

It hasn't really got out of hand Kay, it has been an interesting read for me.

Where as I respect those rescues who have set guidelines in their policies, perhaps a seperate topic for rescues to list their policies would be a good idea :D , this way the general public will not be offended when they are refused a bun as they will know which rescues have which policies and which ones not to approach :wink: :D

My personal oppinion is that a solo bun is not necessarily an unhappy bun if the rab has the sole attention of the owner etc etc. I had Mr Bo-Jangles on his own and he was very happy, and if things had not worked out for Eddie Bun and Marcel de Bun I would have had two solo buns and know that it would be highly unlikely that I would have had anymore due to costs and space. Does this make me a bad owner I ask myself just because I would not rehome Marcel to make way for a partner for Eddie bun :? :? :?

I am questioning myself here but if rescues do not rehome as singletons, (to a very loving, caring, responsible home) does this not prompt responsible people going to the free ads for a rabbit which then, fuels the petshops :? :? :?

Denny said:
kayj said:
I think this thread as got out of hand a little and should be locked as it as gone completely of the subject title on to Rescues Policies.

Where as I respect those rescues who have set guidelines in their policies, perhaps a seperate topic for rescues to list their policies would be a good idea :D , this way the general public will not be offended when they are refused a bun as they will know which rescues have which policies and which ones not to approach :wink: :D

My personal oppinion is that a solo bun is not necessarily an unhappy bun if the rab has the sole attention of the owner etc etc. I had Mr Bo-Jangles on his own and he was very happy, and if things had not worked out for Eddie Bun and Marcel de Bun I would have had two solo buns and know that it would be highly unlikely that I would have had anymore due to costs and space. Does this make me a bad owner I ask myself just because I would not rehome Marcel to make way for a partner for Eddie bun :? :? :?

I am questioning myself here but if rescues do not rehome as singletons, (to a very loving, caring, responsible home) does this not prompt responsible people going to the free ads for a rabbit which then, fuels the petshops :? :? :?

hi denny

my polcies are listed on my web site.. i do not think people who have solo bunnies are bad owners but its not what i want for the bunnies i rehome unless like alsion stated it is is known that the bunnies is not happy being with other bunnies.

i turn people who just want one bunnies to the rescues in essex (being this a local adoptor) to the plenty of rescues in essex that do rehome one bunny... so no i feel people that only want one bunnies dont go straight to a pet shop or free adds but choose a rescue that is suitable for there needs, simuliar to the rescues that dont bond in essex hopefully they suggest rescues that do!

Eve x

Denny said:
kayj said:

Good idea on the policy lists Denny :thumb:

Good point Denny....I have rehomed a few of single buns..those who don't seem to want rabbit company, or the harder to home ones. My feeling is they are better in a loving home getting lots of human attention than staying in a rescue competing with up to 40 others for my time.
However, I have encouraged those who have adopted the solos to bond later and most have. :D
The couple who haven't are owners who are at home all day.

At present I would let 2 of the rescues go as solos (Robin and Bambi)..although again I would encourage the new owners to consider bonding in a partner once the bun had settled.
It is a decision to be made on each rabbit, I don't think you can have a blanket policy as some rabbits will not accept a partner easily and I'm afraid I would not want to continually risk injuring potential partners with these rabbits..but I must stress these bunny-aggressive rabbits are few and far between.

Obviously how you explain a rabbit must go in a pair, or have particular surroundings, to a potential adopter who you are refusing, can make the difference bewtwen causing offence and maybe making that person turn to a petshop..or them happily adopting another of your rescue bunnies.

Denny said:
does this not prompt responsible people going to the free ads for a rabbit which then, fuels the petshops :? :? :?

I dont understand this comment- how is rehoming an unwanted PET off freeads (ie. child got bored etc not from a breeder) fuelling petshops? :?

I cant see anything wrong in giving a freeads animal a home- only good in fact. Only problem is the potential dent in your purse if you end up with a pregnant or sick rabbit!

I think that every individual has to take responsibility for their own actions with regard to whether they choose to go to a pet shop or not. Rescues cannot be held to task over this and should not have to lower their standards as a result.
I also agree that taking on a freead bunny does not "fuel the petshops". After all plenty of rescues end up with ex pet shop bunnies.
Isn't education at the root of all these problems?

I don't think it's education I think it's legislation..to control the breeding and sale of all animals. All petshops know rescue are overflowing with animals and they know most of the pets bought for children will be discarded within a few months....and backstreet breeders or people carelessly letting their pets breed do not give a monkies :(

honeybunny said:
I don't think it's education I think it's legislation..to control the breeding and sale of all animals. All petshops know rescue are overflowing with animals and they know most of the pets bought for children will be discarded within a few months....and backstreet breeders or people carelessly letting their pets breed do not give a monkies :(

OK good point. The campassionate people need educating and the other ones need their hands tying - in a legal sense of course!

I'm eternally thankful to the rescue where I got the delightful Miss Molly from. Their policy was not to insist on bonded bunnies. I did have a failed, stressful attempt at bonding her but I think that at over 11 years old and riddled with tumours, she knew her days were numbered :cry: I defy anyone who followed her story (and I know she had many fans on here) to say that her quality of life was in any way compromised because she was a single bun.

This is quite an interesting read really, as every rescue and individual have their own take on what the best home should be.

Personally I have two single buns who I feel are happy on their own, but I'm sure that if I was able to they would like a friend 2! Unfortunately I'm not able to have any more rabbits (personal + financial reasons) so I do the very best I can for my bunnies. I think that is the most important thing at the end of the day, that the best is done by the individual.

Rescues do have to have policies else there wouldn't be any boundaries! But these do have to be flexible as not every situation is perfect and sometimes things we don't think will work actually end up working in the end!!

Nicola

Back