• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tethra

Got Depocillin and have given Tethra his first jab. He's got to have them every other day. He was seen by my normal vet and she has given me some Maxitrol as she said he has Uveitis in one eye. She wants to see him again next Monday unless I need to take him back sooner. She's leaning more now towards a diagnosis of Treponema, which he had a few months after I adopted them 4 years ago. She's still not 100% sure though, but the Pen injections should cover both possibilities. I must say I'd feel a lot happier if it were Treponema and it would also account for him not being quite so poorly as Yan was, although he hasn't eaten well today. The largest nodule just above his nose has started to bleed a little, so I hope the top doesn't come (or be groomed) right off.

Poor little mite got so stressed in his carrier that his teeth were chattering :( He's back safe with his Mummy and Daddy now.

Got Depocillin and have given Tethra his first jab. He's got to have them every other day. He was seen by my normal vet and she has given me some Maxitrol as she said he has Uveitis in one eye. She wants to see him again next Monday unless I need to take him back sooner. She's leaning more now towards a diagnosis of Treponema, which he had a few months after I adopted them 4 years ago. She's still not 100% sure though, but the Pen injections should cover both possibilities. I must say I'd feel a lot happier if it were Treponema and it would also account for him not being quite so poorly as Yan was, although he hasn't eaten well today. The largest nodule just above his nose has started to bleed a little, so I hope the top doesn't come (or be groomed) right off.

Poor little mite got so stressed in his carrier that his teeth were chattering :( He's back safe with his Mummy and Daddy now.

Oh poor man :cry: Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Oh poor love! I hope he's recovered from the visit by now :D

I must say I would feel the same about preferring it to be Treponema than Myx. Lots of hugs xx

I've never heard of Treponema - I shall Google later. Sending more vibes for your wee boy . The thought of his teeth chattering in fear :(

Good news Omi :D I hope he continues to get better x

Thanks. He is becoming difficult to catch to medicate now as he knows he is more vulnerable in the shed and so chooses to stay outside :) OH is also not trusted any more. When we planned their accommodation, we thought how lovely it would be with different areas for them to access outside, not thinking about having to medicate them :lol: The good thing is that all of them behave themselves very well once they are picked up and don't struggle, as long as they are taken out of their accommodation. I hope Tethra remembers this tomorrow when it's injection time again.

Thanks. He is becoming difficult to catch to medicate now as he knows he is more vulnerable in the shed and so chooses to stay outside :) OH is also not trusted any more. When we planned their accommodation, we thought how lovely it would be with different areas for them to access outside, not thinking about having to medicate them :lol: The good thing is that all of them behave themselves very well once they are picked up and don't struggle, as long as they are taken out of their accommodation. I hope Tethra remembers this tomorrow when it's injection time again.

Yes, catching them is always the bugbear :roll: Nice that they behave once caught though.

How many injections are you going to have to give?

Yes, catching them is always the bugbear :roll: Nice that they behave once caught though.

How many injections are you going to have to give?

Yes, I don't find catching them stressful on my account, but I'm always wary about hurting them and don't like the stress it must cause them :(

Injections are every other day until Monday and then back to vets. From memory I think the treatment for Treponema was longer than one week four years ago, so probably I will need to continue after Monday. On the plus side of course, injecting Penicillin is not simple and so all experience must be beneficial.

Yes, I don't find catching them stressful on my account, but I'm always wary about hurting them and don't like the stress it must cause them :(

Injections are every other day until Monday and then back to vets. From memory I think the treatment for Treponema was longer than one week four years ago, so probably I will need to continue after Monday. On the plus side of course, injecting Penicillin is not simple and so all experience must be beneficial.

In what way do you find it not simple? Have they given you the drawn up syringes? (Which I do find more difficult)

Back